Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Yeah, curious about this as well. The phones are different sizes but other than that, the camera system (space wise) is identical. So why not include it? Perhaps its due to Apple pushing user to the Pro Max? Who knows

Not true. You can tell from Apple's iPhone 15 page that the 5x lens is substantially larger than the others. It'll be even more obvious when we get the inevitable teardowns.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Reactions: matrix07

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Not true. You can tell from Apple's iPhone 15 page that the 5x lens is substantially larger than the others. It'll be even more obvious when we get the inevitable teardowns.
I don't know where to see that but I'll wait for the teardowns. There's a reason obviously but externally, it's not that obvious.

ossifer

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Reminder that the term “optical zoom” is incorrect as the iPhone does not actually zoom in.

It has a 5x prime lens that it switches to when necessary. All the “zoom” levels between the 3 prime lenses are just cropping of the sensor area from one of the cameras. This means that trying to take, for instance, a 3x photo on an iPhone 15 Pro Max will result in worse image quality than on an iPhone 15 Pro since it has to use smaller sensor area of main 1x camera to take the picture.

Exactly. There are no moving parts in these lenses. This is essentially like having an old 35mm SLR with three fixed lenses -- you can choose between them, but anything aperture in between is faked with digital cropping. This is why I always take my photos at one of the three different zoom levels. If necessary, I can manually crop (my way) after the fact.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Agreed. They're both PRO models. Only difference is battery and screen size. That's it. So they should be IDENTICAL internally, you'd think.
My feelings exactly. I considered getting the Pro for my wife (she has 13 Pro and def is not going to go for the Pro Max model), but it just doesn't seem worth it. She travels for a living and 5x zoom would def sell her on the upgrade)

Reactions: Digitalweddings

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Sorry but even as an Apple fan, I have to call BS on that. The 10x optical zoom is perfectly usable on the S23 Ultra I have used it myself. It’s only when going to the 100X that it can be very unstable and you simply tap the stabilisation window.

Just because Samsung (arguably) compensates for it well doesn't mean it's an ideal situation. Apple doesn't release "perfectly usable" products or features.

And you elided the point about the 5x lens' aperture. Check out Matt Panzarino's review photos—you couldn't get those low-light zoom photos from Samsung's 10x lens.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Exactly. There are no moving parts in these lenses. This is essentially like having an old 35mm SLR with three fixed lenses -- you can choose between them, but anything aperture in between is faked with digital cropping. This is why I always take my photos at one of the three different zoom levels. If necessary, I can manually crop (my way) after the fact.
I learned this later than I should have. Now I do the same, always select one of the standard zooms.

Reactions: ossifer

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Just want to throw out there that "looking stable in the viewfinder" and "being stable" are not the same. There is so much post processing on the images (plural) taken on your iPhone to composite them into the final image they want to make sure there's a baseline to the quality going into the algorithm.

As far as not being available on the Pro, clearly they are having issues keeping up with demand for the Max phones alone. Wait a year and you'll almost certainly get it on the 16s. (Yeah, I know, waiting is unheard of...)

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
I don't know where to see that but I'll wait for the teardowns. There's a reason obviously but externally, it's not that obvious.

It's like halfway down the page:

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 1.22.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 1.22.46 PM.png

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
With mobile carriers moving to 3 year contracts I am completely down for Apple increasing the iPhone price by a few hundred dollars but at least giving us more technology and not little bites at a time.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
It's almost like they've never seen anyone balance their Galaxy S phones on the roof of a car or something to use the super zoom those things have =).

Also, there are third party lens sellers so if you wanted you could add more optical zoom by attaching one of those maybe.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I would be more curious to find out why 5x zoom is limited to the iPhone 15 Pro Max :D
I think it comes down to the size of the device. The new part does take up space, and maybe the base Pro model didn’t have room without re-engineering the battery and other components.

Reactions: cyanite

Jimmy_Banks

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2022
That means that a faster shutter speed is all that is needed.

Maybe they should figure out a faster digital shutter, since that is evidently the limitation here.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
A periscope lens takes a lot of space which Apple might concern and that's why they made tetraprsim lens instead. But still, it's still limited compared to what Samsung has.

The truth is, even Samsung used 100 or 200 mp sensor to zoom in to telephoto. So why not use 100 or 200mp sensor in future iPhone?

Btw, that's not an optical zoom. It's just a telephoto prime lens. Don't be fooled by it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.