Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today said it has terminated Epic Games Sweden's developer account worldwide due to the game developer's pattern of untrustworthy behavior.

app-store-blue-banner-epic-1.jpg

Apple shared the following statement with MacRumors:
Epic's egregious breach of its contractual obligations to Apple led courts to determine that Apple has the right to terminate "any or all of Epic Games' wholly owned subsidiaries, affiliates, and/or other entities under Epic Games' control at any time and at Apple's sole discretion." In light of Epic's past and ongoing behavior, Apple chose to exercise that right.
In a letter sent to Epic, lawyers representing Apple said that Epic has proven to be "verifiably untrustworthy." Apple said it cannot be assured that Epic will follow the Apple Developer Program's terms and conditions in the future.

Epic said that it had intended to use the Swedish account to launch an Epic Games Store on iOS in the EU, and this would have brought the Fortnite app back to the iPhone. Starting with iOS 17.4, Apple allows alternative app marketplaces on the iPhone in the EU, as part of its compliance with the Digital Markets Act.

In a press release, Epic said that Apple terminating the Swedish developer account is a "serious violation" of the Digital Markets Act, and "shows Apple has no intention of allowing true competition on iOS devices."

More from Epic's response:
In terminating Epic's developer account, Apple is taking out one of the largest potential competitors to the Apple App Store. They are undermining our ability to be a viable competitor and they are showing other developers what happens when you try to compete with Apple or are critical of their unfair practices.
Epic believes that Apple suspended its Swedish developer account in part due to Epic CEO Tim Sweeney's public criticism of Apple's proposed Digital Markets Act compliance plans. Epic shared a letter it received from the App Store's chief Phil Schiller, who indeed said that Sweeney's "colorful criticism" of Apple's plans, but also Epic's history of "intentionally violating contractual provisions with which it disagrees," strongly suggest that Epic does not intend to follow the Apple Developer Program rules if reinstated.

The legal battle between the two companies began in 2020, after Apple removed Fortnite from the App Store on the iPhone due to Epic introducing a direct payment option in the app for the in-game currency V-Bucks, in defiance of the App Store rules. In what appears to have been an orchestrated move, Epic promptly filed a lawsuit against Apple, accusing the company of anti-competitive behavior.

Apple had already terminated one of Epic's other developer accounts in 2020 after the company violated the App Store's rules with its Fortnite stunt.

Epic continues to litigate against Apple in both the U.S. and Australia, and it appears that the highly-publicized legal battle is far from over.

Article Link: Apple Explains Why It Terminated Epic's Latest Developer Account

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's sad to see so many people supporting the Goliath

I'm not sure if many folks realize that it ultimately comes around to "get you too" when we have the entrenched power "winning".

Root for the smaller guys -- the underdogs -- the upstarts

(relatively speaking in this case - relative power matters a lot here)

That USED TO BE APPLE!
That is what created the company we loved

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I believe Apple should follow the law. I also believe Epic should follow Apple's rules unless and until they're deemed to be unlawful. Or do business elsewhere and through other means.

I'm not a fan of the tit-for-tat game being played. Pressure on Apple to open up its services is a free speech issue, but I don't think companies should be able to strongarm Apple while demanding use of their hardware and software. I very much agree with it being akin to the asking a store to sell my product, while not paying them the cut I agreed to. If they remove my product for not abiding by their terms, I can protest, but I don't think they're in the wrong for removing my product until I get a win in court. Until then, I don't think they're required to adhere to terms I made up for myself; I should be adhering to theirs.

jmonster

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
the fact people applaud apple for just flexing their obscene control over the market is rather absurd; this is NOT in YOUR best interest _at all_ and just because you dislike [insert company being dicked over] doesn't mean you'll be pleased with [whom in power] does it to [yet another company] especially once it's one _you_ care about.

Which, FYI, is all of them, because without competition YOUR prices go up.

Stop cheering for TRILLION dollar companies.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Wow - Is this the same Epic that plans to open an alternative store?

That's gonna be difficult now.
I don't know enough to have an opinion on the right or wrong of it, but I can see Epic trying to argue that Apple is trying to stifle a potential alternative app store.

This is starting to get very soap opera!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.