Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egdiroh

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
This is how they leverage their navigation research while also advancing their technology for the next project along the lines of the car. They also can leverage Vision Pro tech and this will help refine Vision Pro tech. Plus their iPhone recycling robot tech.

If they can also manage my batteries, that would be awesome. I have 6 apple devices that I want start the day at 100% battery, but it's only convenient for me to charge at most 3 at a time. So something that holds / charges my devices when I am home and can bring them to me. Would be cool.

But as a life long glasses wearer I'm perhaps more ready for our cyborg future than others.

iFunk

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
When a robot takes your job, how do you afford to go to the restaurant where the robot now works?
Biden recently said, as highlighted on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, if you can shovel coal you can learn to program AI (lol). Believe me it won't be robots taking all the job... although they will impact some... AI is already doing it. We had an issue with our internet yesterday at home (new home being built nearby and a cable was cut) and trying to get through to Spectrum. Their IVR did all the troubleshooting and advised the issue cannot be resolved over the phone and scheduled service the next day (today) which now has been fixed. All that automation is gonna be the downfall of cutbacks in my opinion. I worked at Verizon Wireless a very long time... and they are now outsourcing like crazy overseas and it is a matter of time before they go full on chatbot customer service. There is a little bit of tongue and cheek in my comments here... but believe me a lot of people are going to be impacted by AI and some with robots I would guess. I don't have the answers but all I will say is people need to be willing to change and learn new things.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
umh.... can it goes up stair and down stair on its own or do I gotta install an elevator at my house just to make this apple pet project works ?
Stairs should not be a problem.
Disney.jpg

Reactions: ronjon10

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
That Amazon Robot looks like an upskirt camera. xxx sites powered by user content will be deluged.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
wasn't the Vision Pro meant to be the next big thing? what happened to that? probably will get scrapped soon lol

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Just dumb.
100% agree. This idea of home robotics is a waste of time and Apple was far better of continuing with their car project as their next moonshot. In the meantime, Apple should focus on getting their user base excited with other products like a foldable iPhone, foldable hybrid iPad notebook, XR smart glasses and incorporating more advanced health features into their current crop of wearable devices.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Biden recently said, as highlighted on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, if you can shovel coal you can learn to program AI (lol). Believe me it won't be robots taking all the job... although they will impact some... AI is already doing it. We had an issue with our internet yesterday at home (new home being built nearby and a cable was cut) and trying to get through to Spectrum. Their IVR did all the troubleshooting and advised the issue cannot be resolved over the phone and scheduled service the next day (today) which now has been fixed. All that automation is gonna be the downfall of cutbacks in my opinion. I worked at Verizon Wireless a very long time... and they are now outsourcing like crazy overseas and it is a matter of time before they go full on chatbot customer service. There is a little bit of tongue and cheek in my comments here... but believe me a lot of people are going to be impacted by AI and some with robots I would guess. I don't have the answers but all I will say is people need to be willing to change and learn new things.

Exactly. What are those displaced workers going to do for a job? If no one has a job and no one has money from said job who is going to buy ANYTHING? This is the issue with AI and robot workers.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Exactly. What are those displaced workers going to do for a job? If no one has a job and no one has money from said job who is going to buy ANYTHING? This is the issue with AI and robot workers.
There was a quote I saw on another regarding AI that I think nails it:

"You know what is the biggest problem with pushing all-things-AI is? Wrong direction. I want AI to do my laundry and dishes so that I can do art and writing, not for AI to do my art and writing so that I can do my laundry and dishes".

Bellboy, The

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Internal project code name: 20th Anniversary Mac Mobile.

🙄

You’re heading back to the mid 90’s version of Apple and there’s no Steve Jobs to come and save your money grubbing asses. Start innovating again and not whatever the hell this is.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I get freaked out when I wake up to my dog staring at me. Now I have to worry about R2 following everywhere. I have several malfunctioning androids at home. One is from LG and the others are my kids. Not sure I need another one.

Thinking about this whole weird deal, I do wonder if they were thinking along the lines of a Roomba that you don’t have to clean up your house first to use. Current vacuum robots are not at all good with cluttered spaces. But a much more advanced system could do things like move small objects out of the way, or learn where things are supposed to go and put them back as part of the cleaning process.

I mean, there really are all sorts of opportunities in the home robotics space, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why or how Apple would be a player in that market. Robots don’t strike me as an Apple type thing.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I think it’s a good project for a couple of thousand mechanical engineers and software people, but I think it is a tougher goal than a self driving car. People will expect a house servant robot to do more, recognise more, and be at least as reliable as a self-driving car.

If you can’t manage to get computer vision good enough to do the car, I don’t have a lot of hope for the robot.

That said, after seeing what was shown on the NVidia AI keynote a couple of weeks ago I think it’s a definite growth area for the next decade.

whit2891

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2013
If true, likely a 10 year project. Definitely focused on AI in the short term because the stock needs a lift.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.