Apple Extended its MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Repair Program

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2017.

1. ubidefeo macrumors newbie

ubidefeo

Wanna hear a funny story?
    At the end of 2013 I got myself one of the rMBP 13 which was a BTO unit and took one month to arrive from the factory.
    Fully specced out with fastest CPU and max amount of RAM (16GB).
    I kept the SSD at 250GB not to shell an extra few hundreds on an already expensive unit.
    I have been (and still am) very happy with the machine and acknowledge its limits.

I bumped into this post and decided to go check my replacement options since there is some wearing out near the camera, but I knew nothing about this replacement program.

To my surprise, my unit is not covered by such program because it's been bought on a business account, and consumer's laws do not apply.

Nice one, Apple. You keep surprising me even after 14 years of being a loyal customer.
    Have to admit 2 weeks ago I built myself a Hackintosh and I'm impressed by its performance.
    I'll still get a new MBP when the time comes (most likely end of the year) and am still ordering new iPhones because the alternatives are NIL, but boy, do I get pi**ed off more and more as the years go.

(the attached screenshot is in dutch but says "Repairs and service coverage: Consumer law not applicable (business purchase)
    This product is not covered under consumer legislation. Apple's Limited Warranty and the benefits of AppleCare Protection Plan AppleCare + are in addition to the rights provided by consumer legislation")

Attached Files:

2. cmmaia macrumors newbie

Hi there folks!
    My Late 2013 rMBP 13 has this problem on the bottom black part of the screen. It was bought directly from the portuguese Apple Store on 24 October 2013 (invoice date).

Is it supposedly included on the service advisory or not?

Afaik there's no physical Official Apple Store in Portugal, so how do I go about bringing my case up? (using macrumor's suggested online method leads to a "your product is not covered by the free technical phone support" (in portuguese).

Is there any offical Apple information on the matter to backup my claims?

Thank you for your help.

3. Edzard macrumors newbie

Edzard

Feel sorry for you. I am a Dutch emigrant that moved 2 decades ago to the other side of the pond. As I see it the NL government needs to update their laws around warranty think Apple just follows that exception since it fits them.

4. BoltmanLives, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

That picture is a grim and upsetting, its a constant reminder of how people lose money/use on lame expensive stuff that fails visually. Fix retina or don't sell it. I personally hate looking at cracked Iphones and ridiculous peeling "retina' displays, its 2017 we should have better products , at least I do but i have to look at your visually faulty products. Its upsetting to be exposed to them online and in public.

This includes fingerprint magnet jet black phones choices, they look like petri dishes after a few minutes , yuck
    My tech is appealing not an eyesore/health hazard as to not upset those around me.

5. PalidinoDH macrumors member

My iPhone 5 still works perfect, I would know because it's still the phone I use daily and I owned a 6 Plus before dropping it one too many times. I haven't held back on any OS upgrades for it. Although I just purchased a new Macbook Pro this year, I had been using a 2013 Macbook Air that still runs great.

So because you've owned 4 Lumia phones, that means none have issues? In that same regard, because some iPhones/Macs have problems, that means they all do?

I don't use Siri but I use iTunes every day without issue.

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Have you actually asked them? This replacement program is different entirely to consumer legislation, which is basically referring to general warranty, not a known fault correction program.

These programs are specifically seperate to general warranty.

7. sudo1996, Feb 26, 2017

sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Non-Apple laptops have actually had even worse hardware reliability in my experience, and they also have garbage keyboards & trackpads in comparison. Non-Apple desktops are great, and I have one as a Linux workhorse that's been taking abuse and going strong, but I don't use that as my PC. As a software engineer, I don't have much of a choice other than Mac. Sorry to sound elitist, but BSD/Linux on my work PC isn't worth my time (different story on servers), and I can easily find ways to guard my productivity against hardware failures. And Windows is totally a no-go for programming, nor would I use it for most kinds of work. I'd rather focus on being productive rather than worry about spending more on hardware that's actually relatively cheap compared to my other expenses, like rent.

P.S. Prisoner's Dilemma is something else, not sure how you're relating it. That's the game where people can cooperate or cheat.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 26, 2017 ---
    Thanks; I have had to do that several times, but no, there's some other issue. The Lightning connector just doesn't fit tightly even when it's clean, and it'll sometimes say my genuine cable is not genuine. And the DAC distorts my sound sometimes. The front facing camera is also not totally aligned with the hole, which doesn't affect my pictures but indicates that my phone was maybe some kind of manufacturing dud.

8. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

And Windows is totally a no-go for programming, nor would I use it for most kinds of work.

I call this statement completely false. Admit it you simply don't like windows
    Since you can get BASH on Windows 10... you can program just fine.

9. electric sheep macrumors newbie

FWIW I handed my late '13 rMBP 15" to apple authorized service in Thailand a week ago, and they were very clear that the panel will get replaced for free, even though technically it's been bought more than 3 years ago (previously advertised coverage period).
    Apple might not have their own stores, but they will have authorized service providers https://locate.apple.com/pt/en/service/?pt=4&lat=38.7252993&lon=-9.150036399999976 in your country; my advice would be to try contacting those to check whether your macbook is covered.

10. JDW, Feb 26, 2017

JDW macrumors regular

JDW

I bought a fully loaded 15" 2015 Retina MBP in December 2016, despite having read extensively about StainGate in the past. What I did was also buy a microfiber cloth perfectly fitted for the 15" so I, in theory, could avoid problems like StainGate over time. I've cleaned the screen multiple times with the cloth (dry, not wet, and I never use any cleaners nor any alcohol) and so far the screen is pristine. I always lay the cloth over the keyboard before I close the MBP.

Here is the exact cloth I purchased from Amazon (Clean Screen Wizard):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y1HFLAM/

It was a nice deal because they actually give you multiple cloths!

With that said, I don't think we should be forced to do this. We need anti-reflective coatings, that's for certain. But it would be nice if Apple could better seal those coatings so they would not come off. If that is impossible, then going back to matte screens would be the only logical recourse. For now, I am happy with my microfiber cloth solution.

11. Exsomos macrumors newbie

This is funny. I JUST went to apple yesterday, not knowing anything about this.

My iPhone 7 plus died. ***** boooooo!!!!

While I was there, I brought in my late 2103 15" retina that had the coating coming off in the top right corner, was rather minor. At first, they were not going to help me, and wanted $690 for a new display, but then I talked to someone else and mentioned reading that this is a common issue... a few minutes later, they said they'd fix it by replacing the whole monitor assembly, for free. ***** Sweet Sauce!!!!

Just picked it up today. (they said 3-5 days, then had it fixed it in 3 hours) its a whole new top half. I do notice a little bit of light bleed with this new display, but it bothers me less then the coating coming off. and I don't look at too many black edge images/programs on this MacBook anyways.

So, I got mine fixed in the last 48 hours, for free. and it had far less coating peeling off then some of the pictures of other MacBooks I've seen posted on this thread.

12. sudo1996, Feb 26, 2017

sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Hah, yeah right. People have been dealing with hacks like that, e.g. Cygwin, forever, and it just doesn't cut it. You think it's working alright then eventually get wrecked by some random problem, maybe with network sockets since I know those aren't really covered in Win10. Why risk that? Go to any tech company or CS-related educational institution (as I have been doing), and I guarantee you at most 2% of the programmers will be using Windows unless there's some specific reason they need it. And those people will be running Linux VMs / working on servers anyway.

Admit I simply don't like Windows? Yep, it's a total piece of garbage. I've been using it for over a decade and have never ceased to encounter new problems with its design and incompatibility. It's only good if you want to run a user-friendly-ish desktop OS on commodity hardware (cause the BSD/Linux desktop environments are horrible), in which case it's actually not too bad as a primary OS if you can do everything in a Linux VM, but is it seriously worth the trouble? And it also works well for shared PCs at a school or something.

13. BoltmanLives, Feb 26, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

LOL..not a hack a subsystem shows how much you know.

If you're making, say Java applications, it doesn't matter. If you're writing plain ol' C with no GUI, it doesn't matter.
    For a web developer, I'd say Windows as you get to check on all reasonably common web browsers, on Linux you don't.

SUDO you hate windows LOL look at your name. Bitter much? Where did MS hurt you?

Love that Linux sudo this sudo that sudo this sudo that. Your 2% figure= pulled out of thin air

14. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

It does matter in C a lot. Windows doesn't have the libraries. Java is the only place you're possibly safe, but that's a dying environment now. I'm guessing you don't work as a programmer if you think any more than 2% of them use Windows (not to bash Windows-using programmers; some are just more comfortable with it).

15. BoltmanLives, Feb 26, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

BASH has all the libraries ...BASH is in Windows 10 look it up. "Ubuntu BASH on Windows 10"
    Its stupid not to use 10 nowadays as a programmer, don't have to settle for a special gimped system. Can game too at lunch.

Haven't you heard? ..MS is now a Linux GOLD contributor.LOL
    Wake up sudo...not 2007..Linux has been assimilated, your hate unfounded.

Soon 10 will do EVERYTHING linux does, they already stated as such

See thats what happens when you don't pay attention . You get schooled by those in the know.
    Linux +Windows+Powershell...YES PLEASE

This is not WINE... Microsoft knows what they are doing as they have the best coders
    So now go be a hero and tell your coder buddies.

16. dan.yellow macrumors newbie

dan.yellow

Mine has already been replaced twice so... I guess third time now... :|

17. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Just wondering,
    is Apple hating mini and mp, because they don't have this shiny reflective glassy thingy?

18. sn macrumors 6502

I think it's the latter. I had the problem with the coating starting to come off a few weeks ago. I've never used any kind of chemicals on my screen and nothing besides a microfiber screen cloth. Don't know what else I could have done to avoid it.

19. melendezest macrumors 68000

melendezest

The glass screen cover on my 2011 17 glossy fell off (glue finally gave up) and I replaced it with the (lighter) antiglare bezel ring. It looks JUST AS GOOD, if not better.

I don't understand why Apple chooses glossy over matte for these devices, and then resorts to this jerry-rig to fix a problem they introduced.

20. julescilib macrumors member

julescilib

Going to bring in my MacBook tonight. How long should I expect it to be away from me in repair!? :(
    They better not update my OS !

21. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

- "BASH has all the libraries": First of all, you have absolutely no idea what Bash is, do you? It's a shell; it's just that thing that lets you run commands and scripts. I think you're talking about the Linux subsystem, which is intended to provide compatibility with Ubuntu programs (and Unix-like stuff in general). It's a cool feature for those who occasionally need it, but it's got too many problems to use full-time. Sockets are a big issue. Nobody uses it as a replacement for Unix or Linux.
    - "You get schooled": I'm going to get schooled because I'm using Unix to do Unix programming? Or if you're complaining about my hardware, you do know that programmers don't need cutting-edge fast hardware anymore, right?
    - "your hate unfounded": Coming from a guy who goes on an Apple forum and doesn't use any Apple products.

P.S. Enjoy your ban.

22. Mizery26 macrumors newbie

Mizery26

What if I have already change it before? Do I eligible for another replacement?

23. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

I'd love to see some pics of that, if you don't mind posting them.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2017 ---
    Curious... Did you happen to put the microfiber cloth atop the keyboard and leave it there when you closed the top? The reason I do that is because I have read that applying pressure to the lid and bottom of the computer, without a soft cloth in the middle, could make the screen and keys come in contact. A combination of scratching/friction and finger oil combined with time may wear the anti-glare coating off. So again, that's why I use the microfiber cloth over the keyboard before I close my MBP, even though it's troublesome and a pain to do it.

24. Exsomos macrumors newbie

They told me that it would be 3 to 5 days, but they mentioned that they are required to say '3 to 5 days'. I expected that it would be maybe a day or two, but they ended up having it done in an hour and a half !!!! So I drove all the back home, when I could have just hung out at the mall for another hour and a half... Wish they would have hinted to me that it could be that fast, and I could have stuck around for more info...

But I would assume that the repair time greatly relates to whether or not the apple store has any of the displays in stock.

They did offer to have the device shipped off, repaired, and shipped back to me at my home at no cost. They also stated that it would also take the exact same 3 to 5 day period as quoted in the store, for the in-store repair.

Hope that helps.

25. tipoo, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017

tipoo macrumors member

Cool. I had this issue develop on my mid 2014 15" rMBP, along the top by the webcam, probably where my finger inevitably lightly grazes whenever I open it.

Took it into the best buy warranty I had, they took it for 3 weeks, came back unrepaired, "not a usability issue"

Took it into Apple for this program, they footed a 600 dollar display replacement bill without blinking and had it back the next day.

Lesson learned about Best Buy warranties, and Apples...

Though, I still want to know if the AR coating is actually improved and won't do the same thing after the extended program is up...?