Apple Extended its MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Repair Program

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2017.

1. julescilib macrumors member

julescilib

Yeah man thank you. The employee that took my info was very nice. He said he was gonna go work on it when we were done because they had the replacement screen in stock. Love seeing $0.00 on a Apple bill... Rarely happens ;)

2. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Just wondering is the corner considered as coating problem?

3. tipoo macrumors regular

Absolutely should be, mine was a tiny bit around the webcam and yours is a bit worse than that.

4. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

I see no evidence whatsoever that the AR coating is any different from the one on your old screen. That means it probably would happen again. And that is precisely why I put the microfiber cloth over my keyboard and leave it there before I close the lid. I also try to keep the screen clean before I close the lid too, especially to keep residual finger oils off. Finger oils can do a lot of damage over time. You'd think Apple would ponder this. But they are focused more on what looks good out of the box than about keeping your computer new looking over an extended period of time.

5. Mirror Neuron macrumors newbie

The Genius isn't wrong.
    Water works just fine, as opposed to any Cleaning Solution out there in the market.
    Ditto, I have a Late rMBP 13". I used to use Cleaning Solution up until 1year before. Since, early 2016, I use just filtered water. I've refilled my Cleaning Solution bottle with it. I arrived at the decision of using just plain water instead of any cleaning solution, only after discovering that my favorite cleaning solution stopped working as it used to be in removing oily residues and stains on the screen. So, I gave clean water a try and it was doing the same job. What I was doing wrong is that I never washed or replaced the Microfiber Cloth that came with the cleaning solution after using that cloth for over 12-15 times. The cloth never looked dirty because it is charcoal black in color.
    Once I got a new microfiber cloth, I found out that water does the same job as the cleaning solution.
    So, I discarded whatever cleaning solution that was left in the bottle, washed the bottle with filtered water for 3-4 times until the soapy bubbles stopped forming and filled it with filtered water.
    Every time since then, I just make sure that I use a clean Microfiber cloth.
    Even after 3 years, my MacBook Pro's display is as good as new and I have no issues with coating on it.

6. zzLZHzz macrumors 6502

Yes, that is the more serious portion of the screen.

I am wondering if I should bring it in for replacement. I certainly don't want to screw up my mac because other than the screen, everything else is working fine.

And there is no Apple Store in Singapore and the wait for Apple Authorized Service Provider can be a quite long.

7. BlackburnRover macrumors newbie

Just booked a Saturday morning appointment for the Genius Bar at Apple Store, Basel, Switzerland for my late 2013 15" MBPr it all started either side of the camera within a few months of purchase.. be nice if its repaired..wonder how long this will take?

8. julescilib macrumors member

julescilib

Have any pictures to show us if it's warranty related? If they have the display part is in stock, you should expect 2-3 days for the repair.

9. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Can anyone confirm that this replacement program extends to New Zealand (i.e. outside the US)?

10. PackFan macrumors regular

PackFan

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes - they did fix it, no questions asked. Hated to be without my computer though...

They asked about me paying to replace the battery, but I declined for now. It is almost 5 years old after all....

11. lbredsten macrumors newbie

lbredsten

Does anybody know is this replacement program only available to US consumers, or is it available world-wide?

12. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi All,

My Late 2011 17" MBP is failing me due to the Graphics Card issue so this now sadly forces me to buy something new.

I am very seriously considering getting a higher spec Mid 2015 15" rMBP but having recently learned of this screen issue, I am quite concerned tbh. Maybe it is just my bad luck or timing but it seems whatever Apple product I end up getting, there are these damn QC issues!

My concern is that I would want the new (& expensive) laptop to last me at least another 5-6 years & if the screen AR coating is so very delicate, no matter how many times it was replaced by Apple, if they just put the same faulty screens in again, the issue will keep on happening and after October 2017, they will no longer take any more responsibility for this problem & leave customers fully in the lurch afterwards.

If they replaced faulty screens with ones that did not exhibit these traits then there would be no issue but it is their choice/design of screen implented & now knowing these screens have inherent faults, also then their decision to keep on installing them knowing well well that the issues may resurface again?

How does that solve the problem long term? All it does is cause extra grief for customers in having to have multiple screens replaced up to a certain date & then be left lumbered afterwards through no fault of their own. The precious resale value of any rMBP will certainly take a huge hit as week no doubt with a messed up screen.

I do not know how much it costs to replace these screens but I bet it would be pretty darn steep & one may have to have them replaced multiple times at their own cost each time if they get marked so badly even with the most barest of contact - how many times can one keep affording to do this after October 2017 or when the 3 years are up?

I really do not know which way to go now - was desperately trying to steer away from ever going back to Windows but my faith in Apple is just taking huge hits lately.

I buy a top end flagship Apple laptop in 2012 & it has has the dreaded Graphics problem but the Screen is great - I then look to get another top end Apple laptop in 2017 & the Graphics is now great but the Screen is useless - what is happening to Apple these days?

I would welcome any help & advice guys as there is no way I can afford the Late 2016 Model in the spec I want & tbh, it really does not appeal to me.

Bazzy!

13. lbredsten macrumors newbie

lbredsten

--- Post Merged, Mar 21, 2017 ---
    I found out myself: Bought the machine online for delivery in Denmark, and I'm getting it fixed in India (where I live).

I do not have AppleCare to this 20 months old machine. An authorised Apple partner fix it anyway under the quality program.

Talked to a Apple Support co-worker, who rejected the existence of the quality program. 2 hours later he called me back to inform that he had done further investigation, and that they will fix it free of costs for me.

Have to say I'm puzzled about the idea behind creating quality programs like this, but keeping them a deep secret until you really press the issue. People do share information on the internet about the existence of such programs anyway.

14. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

I finally had some time when I could be without my MacBook, so I stopped by the Apple Store. Within 5 minutes they were offering to replace my display, despite only a minor anti-reflective coating issue, mainly in the bezels. This after the Apple Support chat agent told me the program did not apply to 12-inch MacBooks...

15. BlackburnRover macrumors newbie

After 2 cancelled appointments took my late 2013 15" Pro in to the Basel Store to show them Saturday morning, agreed the screen needed changing, checked had 3 in stock..by 10:30am Mail to say ready to collect.. fantastic service :apple: IMG_3874.jpg

16. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

I read all about Staingate but decided to buy a 2015 rMBP simply because the 2016 model lacked a lot of "pro" features. Now, 11 months after purchase, the anti-glare coating is starting to come off as shown in my video here:

I too would like to know if this "extended replacement program" (valid until October 2017) applies outside the US. I have 2 years left on my AppleCare, but I would need to take it into an Apple Store in Japan. What if they plead ignorance? Where did MacRumors get its information? It would be nice if there was an official Apple document or memo I could point them too if they refuse replacement. But another point of concern is "how small is too small" when it comes to how the Store decides if replacement is warranted. The area affected on my machine is still relatively small now, but it surely would grow worse over time.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

17. Danindub macrumors member

I got my display from Mid-2014 MacBook Pro (just standard 1 year warranty) replaced couple of months ago in Ireland for free. So yes, looks like it's available outside of US.

Since we don't actually have physical Apple Stores in Ireland, I brought my MacBook to authorised service centre in Dublin, showed the issue, and they were familiar with repair programme right away. And I was all ready for the fight ;)

Good luck!

18. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

Danindub, thank you for posting your experience.

How large of a section of your screen was affected says that they were willing to perform the replacement? The reason I ask is because as you can see in my video, my problem has just started and for now it's still a small patch on the left side and only one dot in the middle at the bottom. It also takes me about an hour to get to my nearest Apple store here in Japan, and I have to pay for parking too. So repeated trips to debate with them is not realistic for me, which again is why I ask.

19. Danindub macrumors member

I'd say I had patch the size of yours on either side of the camera. It wasn't big, but I knew right away what it was, as I had it about year earlier on 13" macbook pro... Worse come to worse you can on the spot show them how the damage gets larger - just take cloth and start wiping around existing damage like there's no tomorrow ;p

If it's that far from where you are: I'd give Apple Support a call first. They will create case/repair ID for you and may ask for photos. Once you have that it's just a matter of dropping it off at Apple saying "here you go, here's case ID". Bear in mind you will need to leave your MacBook in for few days, as they order and replace the part (I had to leave it for a day).

20. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

Danindub, thank you for the info.

I have one last question, if you don't mind. You said it's been a couple months since your display swap. I assume you've wiped down the screen at least once in that time (perhaps with a microfiber cloth like I use) and haven't seen the problem return? Even so, I had wiped my screen down a few times since purchase and didn't notice this problem until my wipe-down a few days ago. I wonder if heat affects it, seeing I use my rMBP closed a lot of the time with an external display.

21. Jordezn macrumors newbie

Jordezn

Hi all - just for anyone still reading this thread:

Took my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro into apple today at 4:30pm (Leicester - Highcross Apple store, England).

Within 30 seconds the Genius guy knew the problem and issued a free screen replacement worth £558, total cost to me £0.

Was ready for collection by 6pm same day.

My machine is 5 years old, no questions asked, no apple care cover needed, as soon as he saw it was the coating he knew what to do.

My friend also took his 2015 13" retina MacBook pro in at the same time and it was ready for 6pm same day as well, at no cost to him.

Well worth it, my 5 year old MBP feels new.

---------------

Oddly I asked what would stop this problem coming back again, in not so many words they said nothing... clearly there is a fault with the manufacturing process and they don't know what it is... hopefully be another 5 years till it goes - heres to wishful thinking.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 21.16.59.png

22. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

Lies. All lies. Apple is not so stupid to NOT know what the root problem is. If they were that stupid, even the 2016 and 2017 MBP's would have the same problem; but thus far, we've heard no such reports. As such, if indeed they "fixed" the problem on the late 2016 and 2017 models, then such proves Apple DOES KNOW what afflicts the 2015 and earlier MBP's and yet they WILLFULLY REFUSE to fix compatible screens for those models, probably thinking, "Well, these die-hard Apple loyalists will just cough up the cash to buy our SD-cardless 2017 MBP instead." Ha! Maybe if the new models had a built-in SD card slot and at least one legacy USB-A port and better battery life, MAYBE. But the reason some of us bought the 2015 model even when the 2016 model was out was because we did not want to sacrifice those important "pro" features on an expensive "pro" notebook from Apple.

I for one am against litigation for pretty much anything. I hate suing. We need to turn the other cheek. Life is tough. BUT... As an external observer, it is rather shocking that Apple is setting itself up for litigation. They get sued so much they should know better. They only reason there is no such litigation pending now is because they still have their "free swap" program in effect until October 2017. But what what happens when that ends and people who got replacements start seeing the anti-glare coating peel off again?

"No guarantee it won't happen again" is why I've not yet decided if I am going to spend the money to visit my local Apple store here in Japan (it's 1 hour away by car, and I have to pay for parking) in order to get the screen swapped. And even then, there's no guarantee the new screen won't have some other problem like a dead pixel.

I want Cook to kick the appropriate fannies at Apple engineering to prepare a FIX for this problem such that people who get a swapped screen no longer need to bother Apple with a screen swap! They have sufficient employees and money to accomplish that. It's a laughably small feat for Apple. Where there's a will, there is ALWAYS a way.

Apple, the ball is in your court.

23. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

The fix isn't capped at one repair. If it happens again, you get another screen. You can't ask for much more than that.

(Indeed a revision could be worse - it would likely follow that, because the revised component is in Apple's eyes 'fixed', you'd no longer be eligible for service if it did indeed happen again. In other words, you'd be at the mercy of Apple's declaration that it was 'fixed' - when you might disagree on that.)

24. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

First of all, your statement is wrong insofar as the program ends about 4 months from now. Research it. After that, Apple won't be giving the screen swap away for free. Consider that deeply. Now consider that even if Apple did give free screen swaps indefinitely, it costs time and money to make one's way to an Apple store and get that swap done.

Next, we CAN ask for more. We can ask for Apple to FIX THE PROBLEM COMPLETELY. Then Apple need only provide a FIXED screen, such that the anti-glare coating won't come off again. Impossible? Hardly. This is Apple. And as I stated in my previous post, it seems the late 2016 and 2017 models DO NOT have this delimitation problem, which means Apple fixed it.

I have heard rumors that Apple put the coating on the outside for 2015 and earlier models, but they put the coating on the inside for 2016 and later models. But whether that rumor is true or not is something MacRumors would need to investigate (and they should).

25. Jordezn macrumors newbie

Jordezn

JDW - sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder....

When I said "they don't know what it [the fault] is" the 'they' I was referring to was Genius level employees; whether someone at Apple head office knows what the actual issue is or not, I (or you) could not comment, unless you're pals with Mr Cook?

The two genius guys I spoke to both did not know the official cause and could only speculate on improper cleaning or handling as possible causes, outside of a failed manufacturing process.

The Genius guy fixing mine said he had seen only a few 2015/16 retina MacBooks and 2016 Pros come in with similar looking screens - whether the cause of their screen issues is the same cause as ours, or something else completely caused it, I do not know - I ask as I have recently upgraded to a 2016 MacBook pro myself and wondered if it might be affected in the future. It sounded to me like they genuinely did not know for sure. I would hope they have isolated the issue and fixed it, but from the information [or lack of] given to me I would not like to speculate on that.

P.s. Let me know how much your fuel bill and parking is, to your closest Apple store, and I'll PayPal you the money to get your screen swapped, if it's as much a big hassle/cost to you as you're making it out to be...