Apple Extended its MacBook Pro Anti-Reflective Coating Repair Program

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2017.

1. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

My Mac Mini 2014 is showing signs of the anti-reflective coating wearing off.

2. BoltmanLives, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Apl certainly tries though..then #_____gate happen with EVERY product. Whats more curious is why apl consumers continue to vote for that lousy outcome with their hard earned $$$ in their wallets. Enough. Let them know its not acceptable. Things need to get worse for Apl to get better for apl consumers.

Its like a spoiled kid, teach them. Or they'll continue, not rocket science here.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I think there are ways to simulate accelerated wear and tear by using temperature changes and who knows what else.
    And you got a point here: Apple didn't make the displays.
    Is just that it took a long time for them to believe their customers and accept this really is a serious problem.
    Why couldn't Apple be on alert and do their best to keep their clients happy, while at the same time retrieve some of these defective panels to examine closely and notice this issue was for real?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2017 ---
    If S.J. was around, he would have made a big deal out of these and fire the morons responsible for letting this happen. If it was the display manufacturer, he would still have fired someone for this.
    Well, he's not around, so we the users are screwed now.

Putting a CFO in charge has proven to be a terrible idea.

4. wolfaaron macrumors regular

Apple needs to spent more resources in Quality Assurance and real world testing. So far almost single one of my products have had an issue.

iPhone 4s: No issue
    MacBook Pro 2011: GPU defect (fixed)
    iPhone 6: speaker issues and fingerprint reader issue (fixed)
    iPhone 6s: Microphone issue, battery issue (fixed)
    MacBook Pro 2016 touchbar: Quickly training battery issue (not fixed), some keys on the keyboard get stuck (not fixed)

5. doctor-don macrumors 65816

Too bad that Apple would not own up to the failures of the PowerBook in 2004 when practically everything on one side of the PB failed. It was out of warranty - thanks to the suggestions from the Apple support people who said to reset PRAM when it was not booting - when it would not turn on, and it had to be replaced.

6. cargobrian macrumors member

cargobrian

Yes they will. Just had mine replaced last week.

7. sudo1996, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

My mom's 5K iMac works great. Cheap for the display quality.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2017 ---
    Have you asked them about it? My dad has the same computer and wants it repaired for free. Can hardly use it with the marks on it.
    I cleaned the screen on my dad's 2012 rMBP with water since the stupid degraded coating was trapping grime, and it somehow got underneath the glass and broke one line of pixels. And by the way, this laptop randomly crashes and has video problems. It sucks.
    I think Apple or someone besides Samsung and LG made the glass coating. Samsung and LG just make the panels AFAIK.
    So far, every single one of my computer products from Apple or anyone else has had an issue within at most 2 years, except my two rack-mount servers. I even got an unknown error trying to set up an Instagram account. Tech hates me.

My Apple graveyard:
    - OG iMac G5: HDD then mobo died.
    - OG iMac G5 #2: RAM or mobo broke.
    - 2006 iMac: HDD died, I replaced it, GPU died.
    - iPhone 1: Screen developed streaks, but I got this from the trash, so I give it a pass.
    - 2008 Mac Pro: RIP one of my memory risers and both my DVD drives, but the machine is still running (and I'm using it now).
    - iPhone 4: Home button broke. Possibly had issues with 3G connection.
    - iPhone 5: Battery broke, lasts 10 minutes.
    - 2012 rMBP borrowed from dad: Literally everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Battery lasts 20 minutes now, screen has severe version of problem described in article, SSD keeps corrupting my OS (I've reinstalled 3 times), reboots randomly due to mobo issue, graphical glitches, keyboard lights broken, USB seems unreliable.
    - iPhone 6: DAC somehow got screwed up, and Lightning port refuses to charge sometimes. Also lags, but maybe that's iOS 10.
    All 5 pairs of my Apple earbuds given by family members: Either got really quiet/distorted, or one ear broke.

I wonder what issues my 2015 rMBP has lined up for me.

8. semuelt macrumors newbie

Fortunately I don't have this issue with my rMBP mid-2014 which was purchased in October 2014

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Check the ports for lint. Sounds like they are blocked up. Get something long and thin and try to pull out the lint. Same thing happened on my phone, charging got harder and headphones only worked correctly if I pressed them in.

10. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So, people who just bought the 2015 model for $2,100+ thinking this is a high quality product and live in a country with no Apple Store like me, what do they do?

11. Ted13 macrumors 6502

This will be the second replacement for my late 2013 retina 15" MBP: the first one was less than year after I got it (soon after Macrumors had a story about Apple doing replacements with a picture that looked a lot like my screen), and I honestly thought whatever defect they had was fixed for good. Now literally a couple of weeks before this Macrumors story, I began to see stuff *just like this* on the edges of my screen. Time for another Genius bar appointment...
    If you told us which country you live in, you are way likelier to get good advice. A general answer is to go to an Apple certified store, but having no idea where you are, it may not be a useful suggestion.

12. BoltmanLives, Feb 25, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Learn a life lesson?

I would start by asking do I want to finance the next #__________Gate? No other manufacturer is expected to have a major flaw with every product, that's apl's lack of quality and design...no sugar coating it .

In general when only a few use the product , you should ask yourself why? Why isn't everyone using it , or why aren't more people using it...you will always find a reason.

I can explain WP 0.3% , late to market, bad advertising, no sizable dev support, lack of products and locations, retrench strategy...but other than that a great product, no point in it if you already have android or iphone not different enough.

2015 Macbook Pro..well its very overpriced, lacks quality been surpassed by PC market 2-1, ultrabooks.

See do some research then buy, when out of country. $2100? that should have been a big red flag...thats one reason I rock a $800 SP4 rather than a $1400-2400 Surface Book, could not justify the extra expense and got a more refined generation wise product. If I'm spending $2000 I science the $#!@ out of it.

This forum is full of people bit by not doing basic research and simply buying "apl", hence this forum of mostly flaw stories it seems.

13. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

Having a matte screen option would solve this problem.

14. Touchstone64 macrumors regular

Mine was the whole top.

15. skitidetdu macrumors regular

skitidetdu

This actually happened to my old see-through apple cinema crt when I carried it with the screen against my belt.

16. BoltmanLives, Feb 25, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Insanity to keep buying? Wow its almost like a prisoners dilemma. /smh

On my side over 30 years , I have never had any major issues with my PC's self-built (apart from one PSU going bad after several years) nor my laptops apart from on my Vaio the keys started to loose their lettering on some used keys after 4 years of use. The XBOX360 sort of fell apart with the kids using it..other than that no issues not even a failed HDD. My wife's G3 phone was trash. My phones 520, 635, 640 and 950 no issues..my older sons Nexus 4 after several years the battery pooped out (he loved that phone) got a OnePlus 3

One reason I picked the Surface Pro 4, was the ability to replace with better keyboard down the road, to mitigate the Vaio "used key" issue I had.

Is very weird apl hardware continually has so many issues, supposedly their strong suit fans say?
    Observations say otherwise.

17. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

Has anybody personally gotten an answer from Apple as to whether this covers the 2015 Retina MacBook?

Also, do they consider the severity of the damage when they offer an out-of-warranty replacement? Mine is certainly noticeable but not as bad as a lot of the dramatic photos I've seen.

18. R3k macrumors 6502a

19. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't have to do a damn thing in terms of quality control or using higher quality parts. It's not a conspiracy but it's intended strategy..... to use really low quality parts and let the aesthetics and 'ecosystem' sell the product. It's like most of you have never heard of planned obsolescence. The repair programs will always be far cheaper for Apple than using higher quality parts from the start, because only a percentage of users will take Apple up on the repairs.

20. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

But it's ok for literally 3 (three!) things to go wrong/break with your Dell and that's ok? But one thing may go wrong for people on an Apple and you want everyone to rise up? lol And then you're declaring you recommend them to friends.

I don't believe for a second you are a tech journalist since you can't write in complete sentences but your trolling is on point.

21. Tech198 macrumors G4

At least if customers want a refund, that may make them to over to Windows.. or choose another Mac other than the one they really wanted.

Are u suggesting Apple doesn't have to build its Mac's with high quality parts that will last ? No one *has* to, but then they will know what happens when they don't when every single hardware starts failing like a domino effect.

22. BoltmanLives, Feb 25, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Don't have a Dell computer do have a Dell monitor no AR flake. Not a journalist nor "a troll' which is an unfortunate label for someone with a different take than norm in any forum.

Yes, it seems every Apl product has #______gate level flaws that is indisputable with some major issues carried model to model like poor battery performance. So I do question as should all of you .. abd ask you Why? We simply don't hear about this in other manufactures. Sure Samsung had a major deal, yet Apl has consistent #______gate level deals. Probably due to cheaper chinese parts making up a majority of their products. Yet prices remain high. People need to decide if they are willing to purchase obviously flawed product design/selection/assembly at those prices.

23. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

Really? That is the easiest question to answer. Apple's arguably the biggest consumer company around. Other companies, especially consumer electronics ones, are not held to the same scrutiny and regard. A lot of that scrutiny is held by Apple's most loyal fan base as well. We want the best product as anyone else does. We want high end products that last and we get them. With their size and end user base they are up for a lot of scrutiny from people who do and don't like them. You know why Microsoft Lumia phones don't get any slack when/if they have problems. Because nobody cares. You'll have to find people with the same phone to begin with and then determine how many have the same problems when they've bearly shipped any units anyway. Apple ships and gets MILLIONS of phones in people's hands. So when an issue pops up bam, you get a #___gate.

I have been treated well over the years. Their prices are high because they are a hardware company who couples it with great software. They were giving away OS upgrades for years. And they tend to use the highest quality electronic parts. A lot of them being made in China. Where do you think the parts from the other manufacturers build theirs? lol That is why flash storage had been in short supply for a while there at peak smartphone boom.

Also demand price is high,yes. Prices are always higher for things that are higher quality, dependable, and work well. This is not unusual in any industry. Same applies here for consumer electronics. One of the reasons I will buy an iPhone or othe Apple hardware anyway. Keep an iPhone two years and still sell it for ~$2-300 or whatever. Good luck with that and most other phones. Trade in sites such as Gazelle and others usually offer like $5 for many androids after 2 years.

Any other questions I can help you out with?

24. semuelt macrumors newbie

Coatingate

25. BoltmanLives, Feb 25, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Really? That is the easiest question to answer. Apple's arguably the biggest consumer company around. Other companies, especially consumer electronics ones, are not held to the same scrutiny and regard. A lot of that scrutiny is held by Apple's most loyal fan base as well. We want the best product as anyone else does. We want high end products that last and we get them.

Yet ,apl wants a one or two year cycle and people are "scared' to do those "free os upgrades for year" (as listed below) breaking something or bogging the device to a crawl. Windows upgrades devices get "new life", apl upgrade they get slower and break (IMO by design)

With their size and end user base they are up for a lot of scrutiny from people who do and don't like them. You know why Microsoft Lumia phones don't get any slack when/if they have problems.

But Lumia phones don't have problems , I've owned 4. Unless a few less aps is an issue Lumia as rock solid.

Because nobody cares. You'll have to find people with the same phone to begin with and then determine how many have the same problems when they've bearly shipped any units anyway. Apple ships and gets MILLIONS of phones in people's hands. So when an issue pops up bam, you get a #___gate.

Yes, yes you do I agree

I have been treated well over the years. Their prices are high because they are a hardware company who couples it with great software.

ITunes? Siri? I rest my case

They were giving away OS upgrades for years. And they tend to use the highest quality electronic parts. A lot of them being made in China. Where do you think the parts from the other manufacturers build theirs? lol That is why flash storage had been in short supply for a while there at peak smartphone boom.

My phone was made in Vietnam

Also demand price is high,yes. Prices are always higher for things that are higher quality, dependable, and work well. This is not unusual in any industry Same appl.ies here for consumer electronics. One of the reasons I will buy an iPhone or othe Apple hardware anyway. Keep an iPhone two years and still sell it for ~$2-300 or whatever.

And then spend another $300-400 on the phone apl wants you to buy in a 1 year or 2yr cycle
    Expensive cycles

Good luck with that and most other phones. Trade in sites such as Gazelle and others usually offer like $5 for many androids after 2 years.

Well I don't expect to sell my 4 phones and only spent $39+$39+$29+298= $405 Have loaned out two of them one to my father in law the other to a neighbor. They love them, I feel good helping them.

Any other questions I can help you out with?

No, I think its pretty clear whats going on,,most people have not had the luxury of seeing yet using a Lumia. Rather overpriced Iphones and insecure Androids yay