Apple Faces Renewed Pressure to Enable FM Radio Chip in iPhones Amid Strong Hurricane Season [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 28, 2017.

1. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why would that prevent Spotify? And how does that relate to skipping songs? It's not like you get to choose what's playing or anything like that.

2. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Question - do cellular iPads have this potential FM capability too?

3. ronno macrumors member

Sounds like you have never had a phone with radio enabled!!
    Radio lasts ages battery wise, unlike when you are pulling data for streaming and such.
    I had several Androids with FM radio and it’s awesome. Listen to games, etc without using data or draining battery.
    And for emergencies...yes.

4. Nic727 macrumors member

Nic727

I want to see FM radio enabled. I loved my iPod Nano for that reason. It's still work, but I think if it works with iPhone it could be much better.

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

6. Neepman macrumors regular

Not activated because they are being Richards. Even if connectivity is marginal thats better than none at all. Off point but some of my friends have gotten so Radio adverse, I have been giving them a 10 buck AM/FM Radio so they have something for emergencies and hoping they never have to thank me for it .

7. ikramerica macrumors regular

According to Apple only iPhone 6 and below have the FM version of the chip, but they don't have an FM antenna.

8. kdarling, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I can believe this. To save money, it's quite possible that Apple now uses front end chips without FM capability.

So the FCC should instead be calling for future models to have FM support, and they should make this request of all phone makers who don't already do it.

---

On a side note, when many of us were kids, all the AM radios had the two Conelrad Civil Defense stations marked, and we all knew that's where to tune in case of nuclear attack, earthquake, etc.

Conelrad stood for COntrol of ELectronic RADiation, and was intended to make it more difficult for an enemy to trace or stop our communications.

Likewise, I suspect that one of the reasons the US government never mandated CDMA or GSM cellular, was so that there would not be just one easy way to jam all phone communications.

9. Fixey macrumors newbie

Fixey

iPhones are not able to get FM, the 7 and 8 don,t even have FM tuner in the chip and the iPhones that do don,t have an antenna and they would first need to charge the iPhone that they can,t do as they are without power.

Instead of spending money on writing dumb letters to Apple they would be better off getting the gov to send out windup radios to these places

10. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Are they not calling for every other phone sold to also enable FM? Why just Apple?

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I would say the idea is to get Apple on board first, but other major and minor makers already have FM capability in many of their phones. Read this early 2017 article for an astonishingly large list:

https://www.slashgear.com/does-my-phone-have-fm-radio-inside-09471304/

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Did you even read the original article. There are quite a few places that suffered such dramatic damage to the cell network in the recent hurricanes that they literally no longer have a cell network. Communication in many cases is relying on Ham radio enthusiasts.

13. jpeagle macrumors newbie

It looks that Apple cares the diverse people more than the ordinary people. FCC should request every phone maker to include FM radio in their phones.

14. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Boy do you live in a bubble. The majority of Americans still listen to FM radio often. You make it sound like it's the horse and buggy! The only difference is that most people assume FM radio is in a car. They've just been fooled for years that FM isn't in their cell phone.

15. Cesar Battistini macrumors member

Cesar Battistini

Apple uses open standards in most cases, look it up! Everyone criticises them for something that is just not true.

16. jakunlimtd macrumors newbie

The reason I suspect, for the lack of interest in including FM functionality is it's not an on-brand experience. Apple's brand is about futuristic looking luxury tech. Apple is simple. Clean lines, optimized experience. I'm not saying it always is successful in that regard, but including old-fashioned analog tech is wayyyyyyyy off brand. Radio stations hiss and go in and out of reception. Yes, digital tuners can lock onto frequencies with precision but it's still very hit or miss. Analog is "ugly" in the shiny rectangle world. While it degrades gracefully in comparison to digital streams, it's very much out of place in a device that is positioned as bleeding edge. (Can you imagine an iPhone with old style tv static on the screen? It feels out of place.) Yes I'm aware apple does NOT typically use bleeding edge tech in terms of individual components or features but they are all cohesive and generally well-orchestrated so the overall experience is perceived as relatively effortless and luxe. It's all about the brand. Apple goes out of their way to protect this image as its their greatest asset.

17. expiredyogurt macrumors member

why are there 2 exact same article posted back to back? what is the point of it? do you MR journalist have a quota to meet and doesnt matter if you report the same article twice you still can fulfill the quota?

18. macbeta macrumors member

macbeta

Sooo the FCC are asking Apple to enable something that doesn't exist in the last 2 (most likely 3 phones, if the X is included), Yet the FCC are the ones that test and approve the devices for sale... Someone really needs to let the guy in charge know - oh wait...

19. Negritude macrumors 6502

"Pai noted that he is a believer in free markets and the rule of law, and he thereby cannot support a government mandate requiring activation of these chips..."

If something is necessary for the protection of the people, you change the law. The rule of law is not some static and ossified state of being, it is an idea about respecting the law as it currently exists, until such time as you change it through democratic processes, but changing the law is ALWAYS on the table. This idiot just tried to make a conflation between Capitalism and Democracy, not a new tactic, but one that is and has always been wholly ridiculous.

20. Mundhir macrumors newbie

Mundhir

Apple may enable this most probably via dongles :D

21. laptech macrumors member

it is ironic that we live in a technological age, mobile phones, windows/android/apple tablets, laptops, PDA's but yet when disaster strikes we have to resort to using very old technology, the humble radio. So much for modern day technology.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep. Radio is still technology, just nowhere near as fragile as cell systems.

In the same way, if we ever got hit by freak solar storms or an EMP, we'd be reliant on older, simpler non-computerized vehicles.

Always a good idea to keep a backup ;)

23. newellj macrumors 601

According to Apple, it isn't in their phone, if they own a 7 or later. And your point about the vehicle is exactly on point. Very few people keep AM/FM radios around the house. And, increasingly, few listen to broadcast or even satellite radio in their vehicles - they're listening to their phones.

And my challenge from a few pages back stands: how many here have actually listened to broadcast FM on a phone or iPod? It is very limited in quite a few ways, starting with severely shortened battery life and the need to use wired headphones.

24. Hater macrumors 6502

Hater

SMS came out in '92.