Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
This is getting really old and I’ve never understood why this is a big deal. Apple didn’t invent lithium ion batteries or how they lose capacity and electrical potential over time.

What happens when you decease the voltage on an incandescent bulb? It gets dimmer... duh

Did you know that if you plug an underrated power supply into most laptops they will automatically throttle down the processor in order to prevent power loss? Hmmm... kind of seems like the better option. Apple was only following industry standards for power management.

Exactly, This has been so blown out of proportion it's insane! I would argue that the throttling is actually improving the life of the phone since the phone can continue to operate at it's primary mission without shutdowns for a longer period before the battery absolutely needs to be swapped. Everything continues to work, but just gets a little slower. Replacing the battery fixes the issue until that battery reaches EOL. Batteries are consumable items, period. The only misstep I think Apple made was not being up front about the condition of the battery and the throttling. They should have had this monitoring from the beginning if throttling was being introduced. At a minimum, the store employees should have been trained for this situation. I can see how they would try to sell a new phone if the customer complains of slowness and they don't know the true cause. I mean, if you were the store employee and someone came in with an old computer and said it was too slow, and you didn't find anything wrong with it (since the throttling wasn't communicated), it really seems like getting a new phone that's faster is the best option. Now that the monitoring is there, there is no excuse to keep pushing this topic.

Reactions: SDJim and AppleTO

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Bad choice by Apple. It should have Been a warning that your battery was bad and needed to be replaced. In my experience even when offering to pay the full price for a battery replacement Apple would tell you with the batteries fine And refuse to replace it

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
If that was the case then why weren't there widespread systematic reports of shutdowns on iPhones before or after the iPhone 6/6s series?

There is one additional reason, power draw from the CPU. One way to increase performance is to clock the CPU higher, which requires more power. Since people want faster phones, the newer CPU's have become more power hungry to keep being faster. Then they hit the threshold where an older still kind of OK battery wasn't able to sustain the voltage needed to keep the processor running at peak performance. Throttle the processor a little and then everything is fine and dandy again until the battery gets more worn down. At some point, the battery will need to be replaced anyhow if you want to keep using the device. But throttling helped extend that life at the cost of performance. There were only two options, either keep the CPU running at full tilt and have the phone shut off frequently when working hard, or throttle it a little bit and keep things running. Either case can result in someone going to the store and being told it's time to replace the battery or get a new phone. Between those two options, I think Apple made the right choice. They only should have notified the user that the battery was under performing and the phone should be serviced to maintain maximum performance.

SoundChaos

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Idaho
This issue still has not been fully resolved by apple. The option to "disable" the power management feature doesn't help much. No matter what I do, it always enables itself for some reason or another.

When the feature underclocks my iPhone 6, the phone becomes completely useless. Its too slow to even do texting, every key press has major input lag, facebook wont even run. If I disable it, everything suddenly works perfect again for a while, until randomly a day or so later it enables itself again.

I would rather have random shutdowns than have to ever attempt to use the phone slowed down to this extent.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Until you are on the receiving end of a frivolous lawsuit. Be careful what you ask for.
Do you have personal experience with this? Or is this just an attempt at a clever rebuttal?

Whatever your answer, you seem to be saying that I, in order to protect my own ass, should favor the abridgment of the rights of all, to petition for redress of grievances? That seems a very selfish principle to live on.

Thomas Jefferson wrote, "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." It doesn't matter who said it, actually, or what they did - what matters is whether it is true. And so far as I can tell, the truth is that we live in an imperfect world no matter what we choose - but we are far better off attending to an excess of liberty (whatever injuries and pitfalls that may bring), than submitting ourselves to the alternative.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother writing these thoughtful replies. No one seems to give much regard to logic and debate anymore. :oops:

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
People with ‘older iPhones’ deserve to be throttled. It is pathetic to see older iPhones still used.

I forget what the name for it is, but there's a mental disorder that your attitude reminds me of. People afflicted with it, need "fresh" items regularly to satisfy their anxiety. They shop for things they never open, eat or wear. They instantly bore and replace things within days.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
There is one additional reason, power draw from the CPU. One way to increase performance is to clock the CPU higher, which requires more power. Since people want faster phones, the newer CPU's have become more power hungry to keep being faster. Then they hit the threshold where an older still kind of OK battery wasn't able to sustain the voltage needed to keep the processor running at peak performance. Throttle the processor a little and then everything is fine and dandy again until the battery gets more worn down. At some point, the battery will need to be replaced anyhow if you want to keep using the device. But throttling helped extend that life at the cost of performance. There were only two options, either keep the CPU running at full tilt and have the phone shut off frequently when working hard, or throttle it a little bit and keep things running. Either case can result in someone going to the store and being told it's time to replace the battery or get a new phone. Between those two options, I think Apple made the right choice. They only should have notified the user that the battery was under performing and the phone should be serviced to maintain maximum performance.

That is the presumed difference with the iPhone 6 - it had a faster, more power-hungry processor vs previous generation designs. I'm sure Apple was aware of the implications but based on the outcome they clearly didn't account for it fully and properly. They learned from their mistake in subsequent generations since the iPhone 7 and beyond didn't have the same systemic issue.

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
Not sure “secretly throttled” needs to be in quotes. They didn’t tell anyone, right? So that’s the definition of a secret. They did slow them down, right? So that pretty much meets the definition of throttled right there.
Scare quotes... it makes things look more treacherous, ominous, and "scary"

unlovbl

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2010
Do you have personal experience with this? Or is this just an attempt at a clever rebuttal?

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother writing these thoughtful replies. No one seems to give much regard to logic and debate anymore. :oops:

Yes, I do have personal experience. Frivolous lawsuits (and not all lawsuits are frivolous) are not an exercise in liberty or logic. FYI, I don't think these lawsuits against Apple are frivolous at all... they are holding the big corporate gorilla accountable to what was/is an act of deception. Maybe we can share some common sentiment on this?

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
buying a new iPhone as soon as one comes out is not being part of the elite it's being a sucker.

no one is saying buy a new one every year.

If you’re currently rocking and iPhone 6 or 7 it’s time to upgrade. If your iPhone is older
I forget what the name for it is, but there's a mental disorder that your attitude reminds me of. People afflicted with it, need "fresh" items regularly to satisfy their anxiety. They shop for things they never open, eat or wear. They instantly bore and replace things within days.

Your comment demonstrates your disorder. Your assumption and assessment is completely wrong. Do not trust your gut instinct.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Emmm..... I thought there already were class actions in place. Shouldn't these lawsuits be consolidated?

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
The iOS update should have been more clear about the real cause of sudden shutdowns and slow performance. In addition to this their 80% health policy prevented customers from replacing worn out batteries (even if they were willing to pay for it) while the geniuses recommended new devices as replacement for suddenly slow phones. Especially the latter reeks of bad intentions and will hopefully result in a lot of lost lawsuits for Apple.

No because it is true for every device in the world. Battery lost power.
Apple just makes your device works anyway

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Who's surprised? Not me, my older phones always slowed down as have others posted too. Was a matter if time before some intelligent person got into the code.
[doublepost=1564675596][/doublepost]

Typical response
You mean like the above.;)

There are 60 lawsuits and Apple has enough money to fight them all.

We will see if they win or lose and which ones. Although I’m sure Apple will appeal the lost law suits.

Last edited:

StevieD100

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Living Dangerously in Retirement
Planned obsolescence, my back. My 6s outlived all of my friends' newer android phones and it keeps going strong.
Tesco, a UK Supermarket has its own MNVO called Tesco Mobile. They are offering the 6S on a 3 year contract for £14.99/month. This is a 32Gb device.https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/apple/iphone-6s
They are still selling the 5S on contract £10.99/month for 36 Months)

How many androids of that age are still being offered by the phone companies.
[doublepost=1564687480][/doublepost]
How do we know for sure that apple is not secretly slowing down our iPads, Macbooks and other products ?
Simple really. Use the same tools that were used to benchmark them in the first place.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
This is getting really old and I’ve never understood why this is a big deal. Apple didn’t invent lithium ion batteries or how they lose capacity and electrical potential over time.

What happens when you decease the voltage on an incandescent bulb? It gets dimmer... duh

Did you know that if you plug an underrated power supply into most laptops they will automatically throttle down the processor in order to prevent power loss? Hmmm... kind of seems like the better option. Apple was only following industry standards for power management.
If you've never understood why then I'll surmise that you're trying your hardest not to understand why. Post 4 will explain it for you.
Didn’t invent lithium batteries???? Honestly that statement is hilarious to me and I’m left wondering if it’s embarrassing to you.
They KNOW how often and how hard you use your phone. The diagnostic data tells them that.
The market has shown that people are using their phones more all the time.
They therefore WILL have predicted that a small battery would require more charge cycles and would wear out quicker.
They chose to see what they could get away with.
But failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
P
While I understand the frustration, is this really different from any other hardware slowing down running newer OS's? New features are added, more things run continuously, UI's become more interactive... and older hardware has trouble keeping up. I fail to see the problem.

Regarding the battery, if Apple had *not* implemented the slowdown, and subsequently those devices starting melting down and/or bursting into flames, we would see a very different round of legal actions. Either way Apple was screwed. Seems to me they prioritized preventing catastrophic events over user experience.

Apple was not honest. That’s the main issue, this would not have been such a PR circus if Apple would have made it clear that old batteries slow the phone down and a new battery will put performance back.

Apple is a business and it was in their best interest to keep it quite to spur upgrades. In my opinion.

Reactions: H2SO4 and apolloa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.