Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
And yet they have apparently violated some parts of the Labor Code.

----------

The employees didn't come up with the Labor Code...

This.

I am puzzled as to why many people today do not see compliance with the law as the proper thing.

Yes, I realize I sound like the cranky old man yelling "get off my lawn".

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
These claims sound ridiculous. I don't sympathize with Apple employees at all. I have worked at Target for a couple of years and let me tell you I prefer to have not taken my meal break if they just leave me alone and not yell at me for making sure my department was properly zoned at the end of the night. 5 hrs and no break? Sorry Apple sweeties but just about every restaurant I've worked at has forced their servers, bus boys, and cooks to work without a break until the very end of their shift. That's life. You should be privileged to be standing behind a desk and looked up to for advice by customers and only have to deal with one at a time. Try working for Target where during the holidays you have to pick up the phone, try to cash out customers, and not have their kids opening boxes or steal. Ugh, Apple employees and their first world probs.
An Apple employee probably knows as much about working at target and restaurants as you know about working at an Apple store. I've visited the Genius Bar and taken classes at the store enough times to know that those people that you claim to "stand behind a desk and only have to deal with one at a time" are actually dealing with many people people at any single moment. If you aren't getting what you deserve then stand up and fight for it.

Reactions: mbnt

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
I find it highly disturbing that people think their personal experience or opinion on the law changes the merit of the law.

So your rights were abused and you didn't complain. Whoopdeedoo for you.

Smart people demand their rights. The rest are just losers. :p

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Winey FN b****es. Be thankful you don't live in an impoverished nation or war torn country.
Try working in china.
Lost wages? You mean like how my Apple store manager sister have caught and fired employees stealing stuff in their bags?
Five whole hours without a break? Poor babies. Those of us who routinely go 8+ without one really feel for them....
5 hours without a meal break :eek: that would be 7am-noon?! :rolleyes:
Ungrateful. Apple at least gave them a job, in this economy.
Wow, no meal for 5 hours?? What's the world coming to??

Such an overly litigious society made up of ungrateful cry babies.
The amount of comments here disregarding the employees' claims here is staggering. Putting aside that labor laws exist for a reason, it's laughable that these allegations are simply put down so easily. Did [those that commented that way] even bother to read through the story? Or is this one of those cases where the blame would be piled on other companies other than Apple? :rolleyes:

Edit: Added the quotes. Holy crap they just keep coming.

Reactions: ackmondual

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
You would think a company with 170 billion dollars in the bank and makes a butt load of money every quarter would pay and treat there employees very generous$$$
Or at least fairly... but you would be wrong. Abusing employees is the rule. Money - and only money - is the name of the game. Apple is no exception. Although it usually does a a good job masquerading it.

miketheappleguy

macrumors regular
May 18, 2014
Try working in china.
I don't see your point. Are you saying that if it's not as bad as in China that they shouldn't complain? There are reasons we have laws to protect people from the issues Chinese workers face. So not only does your commit hold no merit.

Last edited by a moderator:

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I find it highly disturbing that people think their personal experience or opinion on the law changes the merit of the law.

So your rights were abused and you didn't complain. Whoopdeedoo for you.

Smart people demand their rights. The rest are just losers. :p
Exactly, no pity for people that can't respect themselves enough to fight for what is owed to them.

"Apple should just buy these employees"…

No that's not applicable

"I bet Samsung store employees will be suing Samsung in 90 days"...

No, not applicable. Ummm

"Die employees die"...

No, Apple needs them to help sell Apple stuff

"Labor laws are stupid. These people should volunteer to work all the hours of their week for Apple and be glad to do it"...

Getting warmer

"99.9% of all Apple employees are thrilled with any labor conditions they endure"…

Ummm

"These people should be paying Apple for the privilege of working there"...

Closer but not quite. What am I missing?

;)

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
If some of you have ****** jobs, where you are abused, have to work with ungrateful supervisors in difficult social conditions and are ok with that, that is your problem and your choice.

I applaud those employees that have the courage to fight for their rights and wish them all the success in the lawsuit.

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
These claims sound ridiculous. I don't sympathize with Apple employees at all. I have worked at Target for a couple of years and let me tell you I prefer to have not taken my meal break if they just leave me alone and not yell at me for making sure my department was properly zoned at the end of the night. 5 hrs and no break? Sorry Apple sweeties but just about every restaurant I've worked at has forced their servers, bus boys, and cooks to work without a break until the very end of their shift. That's life. You should be privileged to be standing behind a desk and looked up to for advice by customers and only have to deal with one at a time. Try working for Target where during the holidays you have to pick up the phone, try to cash out customers, and not have their kids opening boxes or steal. Ugh, Apple employees and their first world probs.
I really despise people who want everyone else to be as miserable as them. The fact that your job sucks really has no bearing on whether or not Apple needs to follow labor laws. Your company needs to follow labor laws too. Why should Apple get a pass if they're breaking some laws? Because you're miserable at your job?

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Hah, every retail job I've worked is like this. If there's a job to be done and it's not, then rest assured your break will be delayed. Working 12 hours with only 1 break has happened to me before, and I'm sure it has happened to many others. That being said, I don't think it's right, and apple should be held accountable, but it can be much worse.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
wow, who knew... browsing through some posts here, I see some Apple "enthusiasts" can be real douches when it comes to other's basic rights, specially if they interfere with their imaginary Apple portrait [/s]

:eek:

Last edited:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
You all can post how little sympathy you have for these workers, but it doesn't change the fact that Apple broke state law if these allegations are true.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
Pretty obvious the nasty comments are coming from the regular MR youngsters, who were REJECTED in their applications to work at an Apple Retail Outlet, and have had to return to their line-cook job at their local fast-food outlet.

AFDoc

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Ahhhhhhhh I thought Apple was the garden of Eden, the land of milk and honey all workers of the world aspired to slap on the blue shirt of success...... guess not.

Of course CAL only make money for the lawyers.... each one of the employees will get a check for $2.50 and a smile.

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
Sadly, this is what you get for staffing your workforce with a bunch of lazy, directionless millennials.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Wow I am shaking my head at some of the despicable responses from some people on here.

All companies must follow the law and respect employe's basic rights regardless of what you think. You've got someone who is a doctor comparing their job to retail, what's the salary difference? Exactly.

As much as you love Apple, how can you defend this?