Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2014.

1. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

Ambulance chasing lawyers are going from retailer to retailer filing these in California. It's been going on for years. They will settle out of court, these employees will get $20 and the lawyers will walk alway with a new Bentley. Retailers should up and leave California and their crazy labor laws...but that won't happen as these things are just part of the cost of doing business in California. Let's hope they pass the cost to consumers in California too.

2. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

There seems to be two types of people in this thread- those that give Apple a pass for breaking the law, and those that salivate over another opportunity to express their disdain for Apple.

Maybe it's okay to just say that Apple should be punished for this and leave it at that?

3. diazj3, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Good for you! :rolleyes:

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Wow. Where do I sign up. Age discrimination here in 2012 and 2013. :p

5. fredaroony macrumors 6502a

Might have just been better if they hadn't had done it in the first place.

6. unobtainium macrumors 68020

If people keep giving companies a pass on violating labor laws, we will eventually end up like china. Is that what you're hoping for..?

7. AFDoc, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014

AFDoc macrumors 68030

SO because they gave people jobs they should be able to break the law?

8. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

A statement that means absolutely nothing until the time machine is invented.

9. AFDoc, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Right! I've been in surgery for more than 5 hours at a time..... Of course those 20+ shifts are always a good time huh.

Yeah no need for those... Heck let's make it so 9 year old kids can get back on the assembly line making $0.10 an hour pulling 15 hour days.... Yeah boo hoo little spoiled kids. FFS are you serious? Guess you don't have a clue about the labor history here in the good ol US of A.

No need trying to get through to those people.... most probably haven't had to actually "work" a day in their lives... I don't mean they don't have a job but those that have had to "work" for a living know what I mean.

I know right.... flex your rights or lose them. Most would rather stand around and let things happen to them instead of making things happen for them.

If you work for a company that is legit you are being screwed and they are breaking the law. In a 12 hour shift you are legally allowed 2 15 min paid breaks and one 1/2 hour non paid lunch break. Law is the law is the law.... IF you're not taking them they can be punished...IF they are not giving you the breaks they can be punished. Either way the company (if you work for one) is breaking the law. If you work for yourself then do what you will... but if that's the case you're making a different argument.

As apposed to an awesome person like yourself? Laws are there for a reason..... even your daddy apple needs to follow them.

Are you a labor law lawyer? Doesn't sound like it but I thought I'd ask just in case.

10. fredaroony macrumors 6502a

Of course it means something as Apple would have known exactly what the law requires.

11. Larry-K macrumors 68000

You're just a doctor, not a "Genius".

12. iabacus macrumors member

iabacus

People deserve to be treated with respect. That is all. Argue it anyway you want.

13. richardsonrs macrumors regular

Labor laws serve a purpose

But this isn't it. 5 hours without a meal break isn't what the labor laws are there to stop. Most labor laws don't even cover how many hours can be worked before a break is required. They aren't breaking any laws. Labor laws are there to protect gross negligence in the treatment of employees i.e. forcing employees to work the whole shift of 8 hours or more without any breaks at all, Poor or unsafe working conditions and the like.

Poor little twenty year olds can't sit or stand in an air conditioned store and talk for 5 hours straight?? The horror !! Count me in the group that thinks America's youth is a bunch of weenies

14. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

As a doctor one would think you are smart enough to know not eating for 18 hours isn't exactly healthy.

15. unobtainium macrumors 68020

Actually, this is what you get for breaking the law. If you get pulled over for speeding, do you accuse the cop of being a "lazy, directionless millennial"? Just follow labor laws, it's not that hard.

16. b0nd18t macrumors 6502

b0nd18t

I think if the Foxconn employees read about how people are coming a lawsuit about not having a lunch break after 5 hours they would laugh pretty hard. And people wonder why all our jobs are going overseas lol

17. miketheappleguy macrumors regular

You are entirely wrong. In my state of Va. You are required to allow an employee a 15 minute break after 4 hours. 20 after 5 hours and a half hour and one 15 after 7 hours.

----------

So because laws require businesses to respect their employees and treat them as humans is why they are going overseas? Are you mentally disabled? You honestly think the reason jobs are going overseas are because of reasons like this? Do some research and become better informed.

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

19. singhjeet29, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014

singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Healthcare professionals are exempt from a lot of labour codes (at least where I live). And yes I do work 12 hour days with no sanctioned breaks. Most days are busy and I really don't get any breaks. 5 hours just seems paltry to me, it's 8 hours (to get a meal break) where I live, but this is California's law and they have every right to fight it.

20. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

Don't know about other states, but New York State only requires a 30 minute meal break in an 8 hour shift. No other rest breaks are required.

21. Marc-SP Guest

So, because you work in "semi-slavery", you think everybody should be treated the same? Way to go! Next step: working just for food and shelter, because that's what real men do! :rolleyes::D

PS: Joelist, I am curious, how is life in Foxconn? Any suicide last week? Do you have a blurry photo of the iPhone 6 to share? ;)

22. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

If this were Samsung or Google I guarantee you those who are siding with Apple on this would be saying how "evil" the company truly is. Apple violated labor laws. Plain and simple.

*cough*Donald Rumsfeld*cough*

But you were close! ;)

23. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Then you are being abused. The fact that you just take it without protest is weak and pitiful.

24. horsebattery macrumors 6502

Might want to actually read the lawsuit first - might help clear up with what it's actually is about. (And also check up on what labor laws mean - they vary throughout the country, and gross negligence isn't a good description of what their purpose is).

25. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

You are expecting anyone to sympathize with the working and pay conditions of the medical profession?