Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Silence, how dare you eateth sandwich and cheetos on top of a Mac. Sin! If I see a dirty desk again you're fired.
[doublepost=1543620111][/doublepost]

I'm not being the judgemental jerk. These filthy rotters weren't suing back when dust easily went into thousands of devices. There are still thousands of devices made worldwide that get dust in them. Should every company be sued? They are basically looking at this rich company and looking for a golden egg. Our whole society is full of desperate people scrambling around and looking for free money. We should address this issue instead of crying like a privileged cry baby 'Mommy I got my cheetos in the keyboard waaa waaa I want to sue'
Nobody is suing because “dust gets into the device”. They’re suing because it gets inside of the display of an all in one that is advertised on the quality of its display, making the display look kinda crappy. And this In a unique way that doesn’t happen to other displays. A way that Apple could have easily prevented it, for years.

And ok you’re trolling now, fair do’s. Have fun with that. Cheetos?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
People shouldn’t have filthy homes and offices anyway. 40 years of computers and I never had these problems because I’m not a filthy animal.

Why my emojis don’t show at the end of last paragraph?

Screen smudging issue happens, even when the computer sits in a very clean rooms

My office’s lab with separate air conditioned room and air filter, cleaned everyday
My local Apple Store
My living room, while it may not be the most sterile room in the world, I'm pretty sure it's not a home for filthy animals

Besides, what good is a $3K computer if it can't handle a bit of dust every now and then

Last edited:

Hot-Mac

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Indianapolis, USA

Apple is facing a class action lawsuit that accuses the company of failing to install vent filters in MacBooks and iMacs, leading to lower processor speeds and screen smudges from trapped dust, which result in expensive repairs for consumers.

News of the lawsuit was published today by Hagens Berman, the firm handling the case.

imacscreensmudges.jpg
According to the lawsuit, some iMac, iMac Pro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, and MacBook Air users have experienced dark smudges and spots on the interior of the screens of their computers as well as excessive slowness due to heating issues because of the lack of a filter in these devices.Dust accumulating from the air allegedly impacts the screen and the motherboard, causing spots on the display and heat regulation issues.

Hagens Berman says that Apple has been charging customers with machines out of warranty upwards of $600 to fix these problems. The lawsuit says iMac and MacBook models from 2013 to 2018 are affected.

Several plaintiffs are named in the lawsuit, including a photographer who was plagued by dark spots on her Mac's display, a user who had smudges on his iMac who was required to pay $600 for a replacement after five months, and a third iMac owner who saw dark smudges soon after making a purchase and subsequently had his display and motherboard replaced multiple times, leading to high repair bills.

The class action lawsuit is seeking monetary compensation for Mac owners, including compensation for screens that "did not perform as advertised," reimbursement for out-of-pocket repair costs, and compensation for those who sold their computers at a loss due to dark smudges on the display or poor performance.

Article Link: Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit Over Lack of Filters in MacBooks and iMacs Causing Trapped Dust
[doublepost=1543652061][/doublepost]A ToughMacbook Pro like this one from 10 years ago might have been impervious to dust -- and possibly at a sub-$5,000 price point.

Reactions: HJM.NL
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Screen smudging issue happens, even when the computer sits in a very clean rooms

My office’s lab with separate air conditioned room and air filter, cleaned everyday
My local Apple Store
My living room, while it may not be the most sterile room in the world, I'm pretty sure it's not a home for filthy animals

Besides, what good is a $3K computer if it can't handle a bit of dust every now and then

Here's an idea. How about waiting patiently until the industry actually has the technical know-how to do this? Because if it was really easy it would have been done years ago. People who complain are basically like those who expected flying skateboards by 2018. Yeah....there are things to consider. The laws of physics. Increased costs. Development time.

Sealing up every tiny gap will turn your laptop into a piece of burnt toast. Heat needs escape, not just from the vents. ARM based laptops may help. Force touch keyboards with no mechanical moving keys may help. But that's the future and people need to have reasonable expectations instead of running around screaming like loons.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Here's an idea. How about waiting patiently until the industry actually has the technical know-how to do this? Because if it was really easy it would have been done years ago. People who complain are basically like those who expected flying skateboards by 2018. Yeah....there are things to consider. The laws of physics. Increased costs. Development time.

Sealing up every tiny gap will turn your laptop into a piece of burnt toast. Heat needs escape, not just from the vents. ARM based laptops may help. Force touch keyboards with no mechanical moving keys may help. But that's the future and people need to have reasonable expectations instead of running around screaming like loons.
I dare to say that you might be missing the point. LG is a company that most likely produced the Retina panels for the iMacs. I genuinely believe that all panels were not assembled properly thus some had this problem in the corners.
So this could fall under the supplier's production problems.
Good thing is that Apple has replaced many screens for free... However, that is not perfect.

Overall, Apple has dropped down in my eyes due to many accumulated problems that have appeared in recent past.
I am dying to upgrade my 2013 Mac and I just run in problems whenever I try something new.

For the price that we are asked to pay, we should really expect something that is not junk.

ARM based or not, Apple needs to step up their game and decide if Mac is going to be their part of the business or not.
I absolutely have no problem separating 4k EUR of my money for a decent Mac but I expect a Mac, not junk for that price.

Name me one Mac that is a 99% solid purchase and runs an 8th gen CPU and I'll go and buy it.

Even if you look back in to previous models you can expect trouble with top tier i7 iMac due to heat related issues.
Take a look at post 2016 MBPs with KB, ports and WiFi problems.

The actual Mac Pro hasn't got any modern age updates.

iMac Pro has T2

Even the MM has KP issues. At this stage I even do not mind throttling issue. I just want Mac with a 6 core CPU, high clock in single core operations and a TB3 that will support eGPU.
It needs to power up when I need it. It needs to work with external devices. 16GB or RAM and that is for me.

Where can I buy one that actually runs?

Reactions: curtvaughan

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

Well we don't have patiently waiting for that. In fact a few gaps and space tolerance actually helps when you need access for maintenance.

Let's start with butterflygate on Macbook keyboard. How did it happen? Older Macbooks with normal scissor keyboard mechanism never had any problems. Apple wanted the Macbook to be 0.899 mm thinner so it had to make do, why fixing something that ain't broke?

Now let's move to smudging in iMac display. How did it happen? Because Apple wants to make a desktop that is (unnecessarily) thin. Who needs a thin desktop, anyway? What's wrong with a little hole and gaps on a computer that always sit on the table, 100% of the time? How about older MacPro tower (before the trashcan model) with great expandability, you ever had one? That was a great looking and functional computer!

An overly tight gap doesn't always help. It makes things hard to get in, but dust, moisture and crumbles always get in, no matter how clean your room is. And once it's in, it's also hard to get out, which causes more problems than remedies.

I'm just wondering how do you keep a normal home with ZERO dust contamination though? I am a relatively neat person but could never kept my things off the dust you know? LOL

Last edited:

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
But usually laptops are able to be easily opened and de-dusted (sic) without voiding warranty.
Really. I can open a thinkpad without voiding it’s warranty? This is a question: do the surface (tablet) have filters?

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Apple should sue everybody back for being dirty. And we wonder why we struggle so much financially in this country ...

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
Does anyone having issue with iMac 2017 or iMac Pro? Let me know!
[doublepost=1543713697][/doublepost]It seems few people hate to face this issue from FB. lol.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Really. I can open a thinkpad without voiding it’s warranty? This is a question: do the surface (tablet) have filters?
Yes, you can! Not even that, but you can take it to a 3rd party expert and they can repair it without being sued by Lenovo! Same cannot be said for Apple.... idk about the surface but you can look it up.

BTW I have a 2018 MacBook Pro, I’m not biased against Apple but I think when it comes to repairs and warranty they’re pretty sleazy.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
All Mac computers have thermal throttle due to poor cooling system.

While I agree with the general sentiment that computers made by Apple tend to have serious problems staying cool there are exceptions; their true pro computers - all, or at least most, of the various models they produced in their mini/mid tower designs cooled quite well and the MacPros (the real ones) included extremely high-quality fans compared to most PC rigs. Then they idiotically left out the dust-filters that they needed (see my post earlier in this thread) causing problems they shouldn't have had. But these systems can, did, and still do sit there all day long with a case full of drives and all the cores maxed and running full-speed hour after hour, day after day. They are a good example of what Apple can do if they can be bothered. The X-Serves also never seemed to have any significant cooling issues (at least, none that I've ever seen).

mavericks7913

Suspended
May 17, 2014
While I agree with the general sentiment that computers made by Apple tend to have serious problems staying cool there are exceptions; their true pro computers - all, or at least most, of the various models they produced in their mini/mid tower designs cooled quite well and the MacPros (the real ones) included extremely high-quality fans compared to most PC rigs. Then they idiotically left out the dust-filters that they needed (see my post earlier in this thread) causing problems they shouldn't have had. But these systems can, did, and still do sit there all day long with a case full of drives and all the cores maxed and running full-speed hour after hour, day after day. They are a good example of what Apple can do if they can be bothered. The X-Serves also never seemed to have any significant cooling issues (at least, none that I've ever seen).

Well, Im talking about current Mac line up so if you gonna add discontinued Mac such as Mac Pro 2010, then I agree with you since I have Mac Pro 2010 which never had any thermal issue but constantly keep the temperature below 60c.

So far, all current Mac computers like Mac mini 2018, iMac Pro 2017, iMac 2017, Mac Pro 2013, and MacBook Pro series have seriously a poor cooling system without doubt. I still have no idea why did they designed Mac computers like that. Beautiful design? BS, Power Mac G4 Cube and Apple 2 were the example of poor or lack of cooling system.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Did you have the same issue w/ the TB display? Seems I had this, and had it repaired once, but probably would have been better off just cleaning myself. Started reappearing again, and finally this seems to be an explanation.
[doublepost=1543572643][/doublepost]

True. Also, for the MacBook Pro, there's portable air purifies powered through the thunderbolt port. Just search for iDust.
[doublepost=1543573449][/doublepost]Lads, that's why the OS is called Mojave. Just get used to it.

On a more serious note, I suggest all MBP owners open their laptop from time to time. On a MBP late 2016 I had seriously inflated batteries (top case was replaced under warranty, which also fixed issues with the keyboard). On all MBPs and MBAs I had to reapply thermal paste; particularly on the original they apply far too much, I had it see overrunning the edges and some components on the logic board.

Thermal issue can be fixed by Apple Store. It's free if it's under warranty. Otherwise it's just hardware repair labour, which is covered by most extended warranty insurance by AMEX, World Elite Mastercard, VISA Infinite Privilege, Chase Reserve, etc.

efi123

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Hi guys,

Any development on this topic?

Are we going to get our iMac 5ks fixed?

I bought a 5k iMac because of being a 5k iMac.. now I have a 4k iMac and 1k iDust :(

Like they did with those faulty logic boards on 2011 MBPs? - no questions asked, no warranty needed - just replace the faulty thing for free and shut up.

myhime

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2018
Hi guys,

I bought a 5k iMac because of being a 5k iMac.. now I have a 4k iMac and 1k iDust :(

Like they did with those faulty logic boards on 2011 MBPs? - no questions asked, no warranty needed - just replace the faulty thing for free and shut up.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ng-trapped-dust.2157618/page-10#post-26857362
#230 post on this thread, mine was replaced for free but I had to mention European statutory / consumer rights.

Jamers99

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Lutz, FL
Hi guys,

How do you know you has dust? Can you see anything?

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
How do you know you has dust? Can you see anything?
Can't really speak for the original poster (OP), but it is a common problem with iMacs of the last 7 or 8 years to eventually have cooling problems after 2-3 years. One symptom is excess fan noise, as the fans speed up to counter the heat. The reason is generally the dust build up inside the all-in-one chassis. Ventilation for the all-in-one iMacs is fairly sparse, with small vents along the sides. Since iMacs are not easy to open up and vacuum/clean, dust eventually clogs the air flow. The only real solution is to buy special suction cups and other tools to open up the machine for cleaning, and that is not a trivial task, especially since one has to deal with glue and adhesive tape. I've had two iMacs exhibit these symptoms after 2-3 years. My current one is about 18 months old, so will probably have similar issues in a year or so unless I decide to open it up and clean it. The machine really needs either larger vents through which a vacuum cleaner could blow / suck out debris, or they need to make the machine easier to open up.
[doublepost=1554348720][/doublepost]
Not really trying to show off anything here, I didn't even name my PC specification. My point was, I'm done with iMac, or even all-in-one concept. It's too delicate for my taste. One simple problem and you would have to teardown the whole LCD panel just to get to the inside.

Honestly I don't have the courage and patience to handle such surgery. With PC I can do normal maintenance and opening up the case, cleaning the dust and reapply aging thermal paste. I can do that, but not to the level of handling the wires, and all little custom parts the iMac has.
I really think the whole issue could be ameliorated if the iMacs were thicki
Not really trying to show off anything here, I didn't even name my PC specification. My point was, I'm done with iMac, or even all-in-one concept. It's too delicate for my taste. One simple problem and you would have to teardown the whole LCD panel just to get to the inside.

Honestly I don't have the courage and patience to handle such surgery. With PC I can do normal maintenance and opening up the case, cleaning the dust and reapply aging thermal paste. I can do that, but not to the level of handling the wires, and all little custom parts the iMac has.
If Apple could somehow design the all-in-one to be simpler to open up, at least sufficiently to blow out the dust with a blower/vacuum, the problem could be addressed. Another possibility would be to widen the form factor so that larger vents could be installed. Obsession with "thin" is silly with a desktop - it just sits there, you don't have to carry it around, and you only care about a good display and a quality keyboard and mouse. The iMacs from 10 or so years ago weren't quite so vulnerable, as they had about an inch thick form factor rather than the current 1/8 inch sides with much smaller vents. The same applies to laptops. Ideally, it should be trivial to take the back off of a laptop to access batteries, SSD/HDD components, and memory for servicing or replacing, as well as cleaning. I have a Dell XPS-13 which is just that simple to work on (I'm currently using it). It has ten screws to remove on the back, after which all the commonly serviceable components (battery, SSD/HDD, memory) can be easily serviced - and nothing is glued or soldered in. Apple no longer provides that accessibility for their hardware.
[doublepost=1554349140][/doublepost]
Thermal issue can be fixed by Apple Store. It's free if it's under warranty. Otherwise it's just hardware repair labour, which is covered by most extended warranty insurance by AMEX, World Elite Mastercard, VISA Infinite Privilege, Chase Reserve, etc.
If it wasn't so difficult to open up the machine sufficiently to vacuum it out periodically, one wouldn't have to use all those fine credit cards to pay Apple to do it for one. As others have said, design the desktop with a large enough form factor to have adequate ventilation holes - perhaps even large enough to blow/vacuum out without having to open up the machine. Who cares about "thin" on a desktop?

Last edited:

peterlmt

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2020
Hello all. I know this topic has time to be updated, but is there any new development in the lawsuit? I have an iMac 27" 2017 and in the lower right corner on the inside of the screen, i have something like dust. Νot something big but it is visible on a white background. Τhe warranty has expired for 6 months.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Hello all. I know this topic has time to be updated, but is there any new development in the lawsuit? I have an iMac 27" 2017 and in the lower right corner on the inside of the screen, i have something like dust. Νot something big but it is visible on a white background. Τhe warranty has expired for 6 months.
The glass panel can be removed easily by suction cups. Then simply vacuum it and put it back on.

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
My iMac Pro developed this issue quite soon after purchase. My office is very clean and dust free. However I do live in a city so there will naturally be dust in the air, but that is normal. This is a design flaw.

Reactions: Nemanja604

Nemanja604

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
Mine got dust in the corners behind the panel after 7 months of purchase. It's hilarious how many people experience this! Obviously, I can have my screen replaced, since its in warranty but there are a lot of people posting about having their panels replaced multiple times and that it always comes back. So clearly - a design flaw.

So my questions for the possible future solutions would be:

- Any chance the vacuuming bellow the screen (where it takes air in) or behind (where the exaust is) could fix this problem without damaging the screen even more (when the dust travels to the vaccuum cleanr/if its even possible)?

- Maybe some DIY filter would be helful?

- Ultimately, anybody know how dangerous this is in the long run?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.