iPhone XS Max APPLE FALLING BEHIND IN HARDWARE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bushman4, Aug 16, 2019.

1. bushman4 macrumors 68020

Apple used to be a leader an innovator when it came to iPhones but now it seems that Apple cares more about services for the iPhone. Really hate to see Samsung and others make more enticing phones
    If Apple gives people new styles of iPhones people would upgrade quicker

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

What are apple lacking then? Don’t see much missing for their hardware personally

Camera is there they are suppose to be making big improvements this year

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Yes please give us a list of items where Apple is behind.

4. Coffee_Time macrumors regular

Here are few:
    Display
    Cameras
    Sound : Dac + Amp
    Design
    Un display ultrasonic FP scanner
    Modems: lte, 5G and wifi 6
    Gpu (imo snapdragon adrenos from 845 and 855 are better)
    Dynamic Vibration System - see sony xperia 1
    Audio jack
    Etc
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2019 ---
    Usb C 3.1 with 5Gbps speed and Hdmi support
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2019 ---
    And thats only hardware side ...

5. Newtons Apple, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

So what are you doing here?

Android/google is not an option. I have a friend who's Sony Experia had to be replaced three times and it still does not work. FaceID is superior to finger ID. Audio jack! LOL! Design? LOL!

I will give you the cameras for now.

6. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

How come the display is lacking behind, it's one of the best (maybe in top 3). The notch doesn't count as a flaw.

We're supposedly getting back the Touch ID next year or the year after. IMO FaceID is better, but each on its own.

Also 5G next year (I don't get why everyone is in hurry, 5G isn't available in A LOT OF countries yet)

GPU - I think it's arguable. Apple's CPU and GPU are the best yet.

DVS is a gimmick, but if you want it then get the Xperia.

Audio jack - learn to live without it. Almost everyone is removing it and USB-C audio is better.

7. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Seeing as cameras are going to be great this year and display wise the iPhones have great displays

Why on earth are you mentioning 5G? It’s useless until at least 2020 and that’s when Apple will bring it out...android devices having it this year is just rushing it to market

GPU? Lol what...apples A chip destroys all comp so no android aren’t close to this area

Audio jack? You mean like the note 10?...oh wait...
    Newsflash audio jack is going from every phone..get used to it

You mention FP scanner counts as apple being behind? Well android are a good 2 years behind on a system as capable as Face ID...works both ways

So from your list that was poor

Only thing missing from android is

Picture in picture
    On screen widgets
    spilt screen apps

Everything else? Apple is fully on par with or better than android..

Where android are behind

Notifications- (arriving on time)
    Updates for non pixel
    Support
    Structured syncing with all devices
    Eco system

So basically feature wise apple are not missing out on anything really hardware wise

8. eulslix macrumors regular

This is obviously a troll thread, or somebody fundamentally misinformed. Since the person didn't put much effort into reasoning his or her position, it's not worth bothering...

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Lol, it's barely been 2 years since Apple revolutionised the phone market by releasing a device with proper face recognition. The competition still haven't caught up in that department yet everybody's acting like the notch is some tired decade-old look which serves no purpose.

People have such a short memory and an even shorter attention span it seems. For self-professed "tech nerds", people sure love to jump to the next shiny thing. Enjoy your Lagdroid and remember to get the 38GB RAM model or you'll struggle with multitasking.

10. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

im crying

11. cashville2400 macrumors regular

cashville2400

Only real complaints I have about the hardware are the camera and 64 gb entry level. I like my XS Max, my real complaints are things about their software.

12. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

And when the next version of Android releases that won’t be enough RAM. But, not to worry as it will take a year for your phone to get the update so by then you might as well just upgrade to the latest hardware.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’d agree. @bushman4 Is entitled to their opinion, but it’s not a valid one, being they failed to discuss any relevance of why Apple is not an ‘innovator, or how they’re falling behind’, etc.

Every thread that surfaces like this, usually this time of year, it never really seems to translate to anything or make any actual sense to how Apple really is as a company, especially with the iPhone. But sometimes that’s just how the Internet can be.

14. Harthag macrumors 6502a

Samsung makes more enticing phones...the notch sucks but hole punch is far more distracting. I owned an S10e and S10+, sold and returned, respectively. Useless curved screen edges, awesome. Note 10+ is $1100 and launching with Android P while Q is set to launch in a few weeks... Poor after sale support, zero physical store presence, plummeting resale value 3 months after launch. Yeah, sign me up. 5G? I live in a Verizon 5G market, couldn't care less about that yet. The S10 5G is obscenely overpriced. 1st gen LTE sucked, late 2020-2021-2022 is when 5G will be relevant.

I sold my iPhone XS locally for $800 last month...good luck getting back that value selling a Samsung phone.

I don't even own an iPhone at the moment, rolling with two Androids until September, yet fully realize and appreciate Apple's superiority over Samsung. Not even close.

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The idea of Apple falling behind on hardware is something that just kind of baffles me.

Firstly, other than camera, how many Apple users on this forum have complaints about Apple hardware, missing or not included or otherwise?

The people in this forum represent an Apple customer that is more in tune with the technology and specifications of the devices Apple sells over the concerns of the average Apple customer. If we aren't complaining about hardware then where is the problem?

Second, how can Apple be falling behind on hardware if the smartphone industry is currently plateaued? I would argue that what OP sees as hardware is actually gimmicks designed to get you to buy a device. And Apple doesn't deal in gimmicks because gimmicks may sell a device but they don't KEEP customers. The novelty wears off and you have a gimmick no one is interested in anymore.

And finally, Apple's old saw but still true, that Apple isn't necessarily the first to use a technology, but they are the company that PERFECTS the technology. Emulating Apple and then creating some divergent thing is not new hardware technology that Apple is falling behind on. Creating a gimmick to sell a device is not new hardware technology that Apple is falling behind on.

In short OP, it seems that you are the only one that cares about something no one else does. Perhaps that should tell you something.

16. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Only thing on the OP’s list that I agree with is the camera..

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wifi 6 and 5G are still years away from mass adoption.

18. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Exactly. Just some people act like it's mature technology that will be everywhere in 2020.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to mention that ISP's are not even close to proving the speed to make Wifi 6 useful.

20. Geert76 macrumors 68000

Oh look! Another "pissing contest" thread just opened

21. chabig macrumors 603

I beg to differ. Threads like this help me know who to add to my ignore list. ;)

22. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502a

If you read about the Xs and Xs Max displays, you’ll realize they are the very best implementation of AMOLED so far in a mobile device. Plain and simple!

23. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

Same story every year. Apple will still sell millions of iphone 11s over the next year despite the obvious competition, then will come with a redesigned iphone to put them ahead of the curve again (which other manufacturers will clone).

The only thing Apple are falling behind on is quality control in my opinion.

24. jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

Except for those who are affected by PWM. And it's a Samsung display which bizarrely is not an issue on Samsung flagships?