Apple Falling Behind

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmo1116, Jun 6, 2011.

1. jmo1116 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not trying to stir anything up but I was kinda hoping for a bit more than iCloud as being Apple's newest, most innovative thing. Yeah, iOS 5 will be nice but still, nothing we haven't already seen. Apple are losing to android and windows phone right now...that is unless they really blow us away in September like everyone is saying.

2. Smtevo macrumors 6502

What more do you want? a 60 mp camera? 17 inch screen?

3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Really? They're losing? I guess the pie chart presented during the keynote was incorrect... I'm sure you would know a lot more than Apple would.

[​IMG]

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Even if it had those things some people would still complain. If you don't like it OP then by all means get something else.

5. zOdeac macrumors member

Now i really don't think that pie chart is correct just last month i seen something that said Android was 1% above Apple.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

It's correct, cause every blog would have called them on it already. ;)

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What exactly are they falling behind in?
    :confused:

And to say its falling behind WP7...jeez what measuring stick are you using?

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Apple would not of been allowed to provide false information. So the data is correct. And you probably read about that on some no-named website/blog. Unless you hear data numbers coming from the companies themselves, I wouldn't believe them.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The May figures very well may have Android in front, but Apple cited the April figures, so its not false in any way.

10. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

The discrepancy comes from reporting every iOS device ie. iPhones iPods and iPads, as opposed to just iPhones. Android phones might be 1% above all iPhone sales, but if you include the other devices I think the pie chart is right. Comscore has the numbers for both I think. Also, to say that apple is falling behind an operating system that has more than one device manufacturer is a little different than saying Apple is falling behind motorola android devices.

11. Pmoser macrumors member

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

There is no way Apple would of lost a 16% market share in a month's period. Unless you have information (proof) of the latest market share percentages, then we can all assume the information provided today during the keynote is the most up-to-date data yet.

True or not... Unless it's coming from one of the actual companies, I refuse to believe it. Anyone could put together a pie chart and pick percentages. I've never heard about this blog/website before and there are no sources of where this information is coming from.

13. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The pie chart is misleading, not false. ;)
    The chart includes ANY device running iOS.
    This means they are including the iPad and iPod Touch.

14. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

One iPhone vs 1000 ****-out-as-fast-as-you-can-android devices. 44% and still in the lead in damn impressive. Besides look at iOS 5. Maybe it brought features in that android already has but iOS 4 is still doing well despite being "not as good".:rolleyes::apple::apple:

15. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

Android are 'ahead' (if having more active devices means they're ahead...) of Apple in terms of SMARTPHONE market share. The pie chart posted above also includes iPod Touch and iPad devices. This slide was talked about on one of the WWDC keynote commentaries.

16. Antaios macrumors regular

The devil is in the details.

Apple's piechart is referring to ALL MOBILE device marketshare...they are including iPads, iPod touches and iPhones....

Android is beating iPhone in Smartphone marketshare.

17. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Why is it misleading? The keynote was for an iOS release, not an iPhone. And, both RIM and Android have devices besides phones on the market.

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

No, the only reason Apple is falling behind, is because there is a brand new Android phone every month.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The chart is by operating system. Note how Android says...Android.

Its not by device type, your "misleading" applies to all the OS's.

20. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I'm not exactly sure what this chart represented, but certainly every report I;'ve seen this year over the past couple of years had Android outpacing iOS devices but a fairly large factor in terms of unit sales. Just do a search.

Tony

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Umm no... if you look at the Nielson data, Apple s throwing in the kitchen sink while only counting phones for the other vendors.
    It's the only way they can come up with those numbers.
    Kinda like GW's fuzzy math. ;)

22. seajay96 macrumors 6502

Not true...reports show that android phones are outselling iPhones, but android devices are not outselling iOS devices

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Link?

I watched the whole keynote. Seeing as this was WWDC, they had a lot of focus on Operating Systems. It was during that talk that the pie chart came up, so it was natural for me to assume they were talking to us nerds, about the OS's rather than unit sales.

Anyone have a link to the full picture with the text underneath?

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That chart measures iOS across three devices. A lot of Apple's presence is due to the iPod touch and more recently the iPad.

In the smartphone market, Apple is behind Android in market share.

I for one was disappointed with iOS 5 today. The only things we saw were features that have been in Android for over a year already. A lot of Apple's keynote today was admitting that other OSes had done things better (especially notifications).

If I wait until September to get a new phone and a new OS, I will already have more options in features.

I must admit I'm honestly wondering if I shouldn't just try out a competing OS for one year and come back when Apple has it's act together again.

25. rjohnstone, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Several posts above mine...
    http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...-s-in-smartphone-market-share-and-data-usage/

This is exactly what I'm doing. I put down the Apple goggles for a while to REALLY experience other platforms.
    I started with WP7, but the hardware from Samsung was lacking badly. I couldn't blame the OS for all the issues I was having. Granted the OS had it's fair share too.
    I went to Android with what was touted to be the badass of all Android phones.. the Atrix.
    Moto has done a fine job of screwing that up too. BUT... the OS has lots of wiggle room and I can "tweak or fix" what Moto screwed up.
    It's still a locked device, but I've managed to not let that bother me.

I still have my 3GS in my briefcase "just in case". ;)