Apple Files Countersuit Against Nokia

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a brief press release, Apple today announced that it has filed a countersuit against Nokia for infringement of 13 Apple-held patents. While the specific patents have not been identified, they presumably relate to wireless communications.
"Other companies must compete with us by inventing their own technologies, not just by stealing ours," said Bruce Sewell, Apple's General Counsel and senior vice president.
The move comes nearly two months after Nokia sued Apple, Apple claiming infringement of ten Nokia-held patents related to cellular and Wi-Fi technologies. Nokia claims that those patents, covering intellectual property related to "wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption", have been infringed by Apple's iPhone since its 2007 introduction.

Article Link: Apple Files Countersuit Against Nokia

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This morning Apple (AAPL) filed a countersuit against Nokia (NOK) claiming the company is infringing 13 of its patents (Counterclaims embedded below).
As you might recall Nokia, which has been struggling to develop a competetive super-smartphone, filed suit against Apple in late October, claiming the iPhone infringes upon 10 Nokia patents covering various wireless data, speech coding, security and encryption technologies. Nokia claims that every iPhone model shipped since 2007 has violated them.

“The basic principle in the mobile industry is that those companies who contribute in technology development to establish standards create intellectual property, which others then need to compensate for,” said Ilkka Rahnasto, vice president of legal & intellectual property at Nokia said when the suit was filed. “Apple is also expected to follow this principle. By refusing to agree appropriate terms for Nokia’s intellectual property, Apple is attempting to get a free ride on the back of Nokia’s innovation.”
source: All Things D

Love this picture from Gizmodo ...

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
If both of these cases truly have metric then I expect an out of court settlement.

Move on...

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Considering the following, I don't think Nokia is really in a position to negotiate out of court settlement.

* Late delivery of E72 to compete with Bold 9700
* Announcement of 1 more Maemo device in 2010 as top-tier; Maemo 6.
* Announcement of Symbian^2 devices at lower profit+sales price points.
* Many of those Symbian^2 devices will be touch-screen and feature multi-touch (patent-infringement most likely).
* Possibility that that X6 using capacitive touch was delayed, recently shipped, infringes on Apple's patents.
* Significantly impacting closure of retails stores not just in NYC/Chicago but also in London UK!! Their biggest sales market is loosing eyes on their products.
* Senseless entry into the netbook/sub-note market; its not selling well worldwide.

I doubt Nokia is in a position to gain from any of this out of court settlement. Their best bet is to go all the way and hope for a win.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple's ongoing problem of other industry players fighting Apple with photocopiers . . .

Responding to a lawsuit brought against the company by Nokia, Apple today filed a countersuit claiming that Nokia is infringing 13 Apple patents.

"Other companies must compete with us by inventing their own technologies, not just by stealing ours," said Bruce Sewell, Apple's General Counsel and senior vice president, in the press release.

Source: Apple Inc.

Too true.

I wouldn't want to mess with Apple legal.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
"Other companies must compete with us by inventing their own technologies, not just by stealing ours,"

Like that pesky GSM technology eh Apple?

I guess Nokia's original suit has legs given this turn of events. *grabs popcorn*

RogueWarrior65

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Redondo Beach, CA
Statute of limitations

Somebody 'splain to me why it is that piddly-ass companies or hulking giants with zero new ideas are able to come along YEARS after a competing and widely successful product is released and sue. If you're Nokia, you figured out within days of the iPhone's release that they might be infringing on your patent. IMHO, if you wait to sue until Apple dominates the market, you're just being a child throwing a temper tantrum.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Somebody 'splain to me why it is that piddly-ass companies or hulking giants with zero new ideas are able to come along YEARS after a competing and widely successful product is released and sue. If you're Nokia, you figured out within days of the iPhone's release that they might be infringing on your patent. IMHO, if you wait to sue until Apple dominates the market, you're just being a child throwing a temper tantrum.
The original notice of the Nokia suit states that they were unsuccessful in agreeing licensing terms. You could argue as to why Apple have suddenly decided to sue Nokia, well not on here anyway. ;)

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Why today is about companies claiming their patents are infringed and suing them.

Aren't GSM and UMTS stuff are made by 3rd parties? I think Nokia make their own chips.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
It costs money to sue and so you want to make sure you will win more than you paid to earn the victory. You wouldn't want a pyrrhic victory so you wait to make sure it is cost efficient to sue. Has nothing to do with tempers and it isn't personal, it's just business.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In a brief press release[/url], Apple today announced that it has filed a countersuit against Nokia for infringement of 13 Apple-held patents. While the specific patents have not been identified, they presumably relate to wireless communications.
Nope. I've read most of the documents from both companies.

Unlike Nokia's GSM and WiFi patents, Apple's are not related to wireless. They're bits and pieces related to handhelds and displays.

Apple's patent claims include serial comms, comms on reset, notification subsystems, color code, scrolling code, power-saving, etc.

In their reply to Nokia's suit, Apple claims that Nokia wanted too much money, plus access to Apple's patents as part payment... for non-wireless items that Apple doesn't see as related.

Apple also denied most of Nokia's infringement complaints. For a couple of others, Apple said they needed more proof that Nokia owned the IP.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
"Other companies must compete with us by inventing their own technologies, not just by stealing ours,"

I guess Nokia's original suit has legs given this turn of events. *grabs popcorn*
Nokia doesn't own the GSM tech.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

Nice cheap shot, but the components that Apple uses would already have patent fees embedded. Why should Apple have to pay twice, especially if the fees would be based on a percentage of the finished product cost, which is high in the case of any smartphones.

There is a lot of intellectual property that Apple have developed that wouldn't ever be licensed to any other entity. This is probably the case with the Nokia violations of Apple patents.

I suspect that there will be a quiet settlement, and Apple will probably get most of what they want.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
You guys are all brainwashed zombies if you don't think Apple is stealing. It's amusing. You know Apple didn't event the phone, right?

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Offtopic:

I was reading NOKIA's Wikipidea page and found out that NOKIA was founded 1865 :eek: it took apple less then 2 years to beat them in smartphone market..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.