Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
It's not the same as the bold fonts option - it's a design choice.

You missed my point. I am saying they are forcing the bold option down out throats and a lot don't like it, they gave us a toggle option to turn bold/large text off, so why give us that option if they are going to ignore it and force it on us elsewhere in another form.

If people want the text this bold, it should be part of that accessibility toggle, but for me this text size/boldness is straining my eyes, its too harsh and not good design. (hence I have it set to small normally lol)

Reactions: bensisko

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I'll bet it gets dialed down. Remember iOS 7 originally had a very thin font and that changed over time. I don't think the music app looks other than some of the text that is too large. I like the fact that the music controls are bigger. They are way too small now.
This. Can't even bring myself to try to pacify some of the rage that we'll be seeing up through September. Such drama over minor details.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
As much as I hate this it's true. I can see myself using some of the emotion stuff with my wife, but friends? Probably never.

I use bitmoji for fun with everyone. No one said messages have to be serious. :)

I would also love to transfer money directly to my wife or vice versa over iMessage rather than use our banking app.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This. Can't even bring myself to try to pacify some of the rage that we'll be seeing up through September. Such drama over minor details.
I just want to say to people calm the **** down. It's the first beta. Most people haven't installed it and those that have I'm guessing haven't spent a lot of time with it. And for those using a beta, if there are things you hate send feedback to Apple. If Apple gets tons of feedback that the font in the Music app is too large/too bold they might tweak it.

Reactions: nooaah

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
You cant even control ALL lights at once in the Home app - I have 15 Philip Light bulbs in my Lounge - and they expect me to change each one individually...? No thanks, will stick to the great apps from the app store.

Unless I am missing something...?

Version 2 of the Phillips Hue app? :D
Seriously though, V2 sucks - went back to V1.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I use bitmoji for fun with everyone. No one said messages have to be serious. :)

I would also love to transfer money directly to my wife or vice versa over iMessage rather than use our banking app.
I don't mind people having the option to use them at all. I just don't think I'll personally use it with my friends.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I was just starting to really like News...hope I still do.

Music still looks like a mess but i'll give i a shot to see.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think it all looks great, personally. I like the bubbles for the notifications and stuff. Looks more modern to me. And the 3D Touch to see widgets is something I think most of us had thought was a good idea when 3D Touch was first announced. Apple is doing a good job of continuing to build on their technologies. I have zero complaints about the keynote; everything is awesome!

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
You missed my point. I am saying they are forcing the bold option down out throats and a lot don't like it, they gave us a toggle option to turn bold/large text off, so why give us that option if they are going to ignore it and force it on us elsewhere in another form.

If people want the text this bold, it should be part of that accessibility toggle, but for me this text size/boldness is straining my eyes, its too harsh and not good design. (hence I have it set to small normally lol)
Again - it's not about accessibility. It is a design choice. You don't toggle design choices.

Reactions: warden

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel
I hate when people compare between Spotify and Apple....
Apple has to work on whole 4 OSs
and Spotify has just to work on their app only ..... And we are talking on a beta vs fully aged released app....
[doublepost=1469386831][/doublepost]
You cant even control ALL lights at once in the Home app - I have 15 Philip Light bulbs in my Lounge - and they expect me to change each one individually...? No thanks, will stick to the great apps from the app store.

Unless I am missing something...?
If im not wrong u can create scenes controlling all the loghts together

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I personally won't be using the vast majority of those features, and all those new arrows and tabs look a mess from what I saw on the presentation.

Yes, they are. I also think that this is where the weakness of flat design really shows, it is confusing as hell. When you tap on the picture icon in messages to send a picture, the camera turns on automatically and shows you what it's filming. Then they hide more icons on the left side and your pictures are crammed into two rows on the right side. It looks absolutely horrible.

Just for laughs I also tried out the other features, such as the Apple-Watch-like gestures/taps and the extensions. I found it very difficult to figure out how the former worked, because it isn't obvious at all. It uses a combination of interactions (touches, gestures, taps, long-presses for the heart beat and such) and 'explains' them only with some obscure icons on the right side (you can tap on that area too, to reveal even more icons). It is a mine field and once you do tap on that area, this gesture will be sent immediately to the recipient. It is one of the messiest interfaces I have seen in a long time and it is absolutely unparalleled to what Apple has done before. All the other visual effects are very over the top, I think it would really freak people out when they receive one.

I think Apple is also using the frosted-glass effect way too much. To me it is worse than the linen backgrounds we had before. I am very much inclined to skip iOS 10. The feature improvements are just so not worth these UI changes, at all.

biostreber24

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
Yes, they are. I also think that this is where the weakness of flat design really shows, it is confusing as hell. When you tap on the picture icon in messages to send a picture, the camera turns on automatically and shows you what it's filming. Then they hide more icons on the left side and your pictures are crammed into two rows on the right side. It looks absolutely horrible.

Just for laughs I also tried out the other features, such as the Apple-Watch-like gestures/taps and the extensions. I found it very difficult to figure out how the former worked, because it isn't obvious at all. It uses a combination of interactions (touches, gestures, taps, long-presses for the heart beat and such) and 'explains' them only with some obscure icons on the right side (you can tap on that area too, to reveal even more icons). It is a mine field and once you do tap on that area, this gesture will be sent immediately to the recipient. It is one of the messiest interfaces I have seen in a long time and it is absolutely unparalleled to what Apple has done before. All the other visual effects are very over the top, I think it would really freak people out when they receive one.

I think Apple is also using the frosted-glass effect way too much. To me it is worse than the linen backgrounds we had before. I am very much inclined to skip iOS 10. The feature improvements are just so not worth these UI changes, at all.
Yes, you are absolutely right. I've seen some promising concepts of how iMessage could look like. Clean and modern interface, rich links etc. but the current App is just a mess. It somehow looks funny like for a teenager. I like my iMessage app a little bit more serious.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
...because that can be the only explanation for the horrible re-design of Apple Music and Apple News in iOS 10.
I personally think it looks much better now. It needed something younger and fresher.
[doublepost=1469393459][/doublepost]
I gave up on Apple design long time ago, since the obsession with flat, Bauhaus-style.
How can anyone dislike Bauhaus?

Reactions: LordQ, hojx and EJ8

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I don't like it at all, and I really don't understand how smaller, rounded windows for notifications, control centre and music (etc) is seen as "better" than the full edge-to-edge screens of iOS9

*As I typed that out I realised the new pop-ups match the rounded design of things on the Watch...

Reactions: na1577

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
...because that can be the only explanation for the horrible re-design of Apple Music and Apple News in iOS 10.

I prefer the new Music design overall. I don't use the News app much, but I find the Music app far more readable and easy to use. It has a few quirks and some tweaks I'd like to see, but it's an improvement in my view.

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Version 2 of the Phillips Hue app? :D
Seriously though, V2 sucks - went back to V1.

Lol. V2 is actually quite good I think, just takes some time to set it up properly. The room concept I think is much better than v1.

If they could only make an iPad app of v2, like wtf are they doing in the hue software department that it takes them so long.

tomi03

Suspended
Dec 8, 2015
Genève. Suisse
The last I used it was 2 weeks ago. A lot of the time I was clicking around trying to figure out how to do something. following an artist? don't follow? make a playlist? get the album and make it offline? It's confusing to be honest.

On top of that on iOS if you make a playlist available offline and then decide you don't want to keep it on your phone anymore it doesn't release the disk space. you have to uninstall/reinstall the app.

Your fanatism for a bad app is notorious because between Spotify and Apple Music, Spotify is clearly superior

Reactions: arkitect

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
The only thing redeeming is that track seek bar is smooth and the button is round while actual seeking. Still why do they have to make the button needle point is baffling.

Reactions: na1577
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.