Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Fitness+ working on my iPhone 11 Pro using Airplay to a Samsung TV with the Airplay app. Works without problems for the video and sound. Just what I expect and like it.
I'm using exactly the same setup with a 2019 Samsung TV and only the audio is working.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
It is likely that Fitness+ will require OS capabilities to deliver metrics on screen, something that is not possible in TV apps with other providers.

I thought this would be pretty self-explanatory.

Could you explain a bit more. I don't intend to use the Apple TV app provided by my TV. I'll use my iPhone instead. I only want to use the TV to project the display using Airplay. I expect Airplay should be similar to adding an external monitor to any device.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Apple’s got a inconsistent airplay policy.

Some items I can stream from my 6S to TV4, while others I have to use screen mirroring.

Some I can control with my ATV remote, I clouding volume but others I can’t.

It’s frustrating.

dustin9779

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Fitness+ working on my iPhone 11 Pro using Airplay to a Samsung TV with the Airplay app. Works without problems for the video and sound. Just what I expect and like it.
Did it allow the option to select the Samsung TV when you launched the workout or did you just screen mirror it from the control center?

Reactions: macsound1

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
You get a superior entertainment experience with a real Apple TV box. You get a half-baked mess if you lean on the stuff built into your TV.

I haven’t found much need to switch to my 4th gen Apple TV box unless I want to play a game on it (which I’m much more likely to do on my PS4 anyway). For media consumption the built-in support has worked flawlessly so far and it supports my TV’s 4k resolution without additional investments. In addition, I far prefer the LG Magic Remote for usability. Picking it up the right way around on the first attempt is a welcome change compared to the atrocious Apple TV remote.

So currently I can’t see a compelling reason to upgrade my standalone Apple TV to the 4k version.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
All a part of the plan to sell the remaining Apple TV inventory before the new model comes out in a few months, maybe this time with a usable remote?

Reactions: ModusOperandi

dustin9779

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Kinda funny that you can start screen mirror from the control center to an AirPlay compatible TV , go into the app and begin a workout... Watch the countdown on the TV screen then it goes black and only audio remains lol ... the screen mirror does work but once the workout begins it blacks out... Either its an intentional software block or it has some hardware obstacle keeping the watch data from being screen shared because you can bring your apple watch near an actual ATV and it picks it up and starts right away

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Did it allow the option to select the Samsung TV when you launched the workout or did you just screen mirror it from the control center?
It works and will even display video of the previews, when the actual workout is running the video goes black and only sound is AirPlay’d, the optimist in me wants to believe there’s a technical limitation that while the phone and watch are connected they can’t also maintain airplay video, the pessimist say apple wanted to see more atv’s.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Can anyone elaborate on what the differences are between an actual Apple TV 4k vs. Apple TV software inside a 4K tv?
Yes, poor naming.
The Apple TV is a streaming/ computing device, like a Roku. apple.com/apple-tv-4k
Apple TV is a streaming channel that has original content. This channel has been made available on many different manufacturer's TVs, or at tv.apple.com

• Love
Reactions: amartinez1660

loadafreak

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2020
I just tested it on my iMac using Reflector 3 and it doesn't work. This is a huge disappointment. Not everybody has an Apple TV, as they're (mostly) obsolete when you have a smart TV, and yet Apple doesn't add this functionality in. Looks like I'll be staying with Peleton then.
That’s a shame... I don’t get why macs don’t have native fitness app.. I mean they are trying to close the differences between macOS and iDevice OS.
I don’t have an Apple TV nor an iPad, my only option is my iPhone 6s... this is probably the only time I wish I had a bigger screen

Karllake

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Can anyone elaborate on what the differences are between an actual Apple TV 4k vs. Apple TV software inside a 4K tv?
Apple TV is a whole OS with its own AppStore that can run Apple TV+ streaming service via a tv app, I think by “Apple TV software inside a 4K tv?” You mean the Apple TV+ app that can only run Apple TV+streaming and some other content.

if you didn’t mean that could you elaborate?

PrimusPrime

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Extremely frustrating. I was very excited, got an apple watch, already have an older generation apple tv, signed up for apple one, and NOPE! no way to get fitness plus onto the TV. Screen mirroring works for everything except for the actual workouts. There is no excuse for this, technically speaking, render all overlays on phone and send a copy of the frame via airplay to tv. "One more thing" has come to mean for every new feature they announce your going to have to buy one more thing in addition to actually use it. Extremely unhappy with them for this ploy.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Extremely frustrating. I was very excited, got an apple watch, already have an older generation apple tv, signed up for apple one, and NOPE! no way to get fitness plus onto the TV. Screen mirroring works for everything except for the actual workouts. There is no excuse for this, technically speaking, render all overlays on phone and send a copy of the frame via airplay to tv. "One more thing" has come to mean for every new feature they announce your going to have to buy one more thing in addition to actually use it. Extremely unhappy with them for this ploy.
you're surprised Apple wants more money out of you? lol

oliverades

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Everyone should have Apple TV at this point. I don’t think it’s a big issue for real Apple enthusiasts who have bought into the ecosystem.
I have 2. I bought 2 expensive Apple TV’s for streaming content on my 2 nice TVs in rooms focused on entertainment. I have a much smaller tv in an exercise room, that doesn’t need a third Apple TV for the tv I use the least, just to be able to access a service I’m also already paying for.

• Sad

dustin9779

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
Yes, poor naming.
The Apple TV is a streaming/ computing device, like a Roku. apple.com/apple-tv-4k
Apple TV is a streaming channel that has original content. This channel has been made available on many different manufacturer's TVs, or at tv.apple.com
So basically the Apple TV Channel gets access to the same streaming content as an actual Apple TV device,
Apple TV is a whole OS with its own AppStore that can run Apple TV+ streaming service via a tv app, I think by “Apple TV software inside a 4K tv?” You mean the Apple TV+ app that can only run Apple TV+streaming and some other content.

if you didn’t mean that could you elaborate?
yeah thats what i mean :) Seems like the actual Apple TV device is a gateway to the same content as the Apple TV channel but the Apple TV box gives you access to more hardware abilities like linking to Fitness LOL

jw77777

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Hi,
I'm on the RC Beta for 14.3. on all my devices. tvOS too... whenever I go to the Fitness app on the Apple TV, it says there is no content for Fitness+. Is this because of the beta? I don't even see it available on my iPhone or iPad as an option where it should be. Not like I'm in any rush to work out, but I expected this to work on launch. I'm also paying for Apple+One subscription... so... wtf?

Reactions: Pinonsparrow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.