Apple Forced to Add Notice About iPhone Slowdown Saga on Italian Homepage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Last year, the Italian Competition Authority hit Apple with a 10 million euro fine over "dishonest commercial practices" related to an iPhone performance management system it introduced in iOS 10.2.1 without informing customers. The antitrust watchdog said the update was a form of planned obsolescence.

[​IMG]

As a result of the investigation, Apple has been forced to add a consumer protection notice about these "incorrect" practices on its Italian homepage. The notice, loosely translated below, was spotted by setteBIT on Twitter.
    For those who need a refresher about the iPhone slowdown saga, read our lengthy FAQ. Here's a key excerpt:
    Last year, Apple denied any kind of planned obsolescence by flat out stating that it never has and never would do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience, to drive customer upgrades.
    Apple eventually eased concerns by introducing a Battery Health feature in iOS 11.3, with an option to disable the performance management system, and discounting the price of iPhone battery replacements throughout 2018.

Article Link: Apple Forced to Add Notice About iPhone Slowdown Saga on Italian Homepage

2. YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

A better question would have been, why didn't you warn customer before slowing down phones?

While there's nothing wrong with why they slowed iPhones down (and understandable) people would have been happier if warned, AND instructed on how to make it perform great again, instead of led to believe a new phone was the answer.
    Understatement of the year!

3. Doomtomb macrumors 6502

Doomtomb

Then why is it not user replaceable?

4. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Tell customers what you're doing and why you're doing it... before you do it. Had Apple done that, this article and the overall problem wouldn't exist. But they didn't. So here we are.

Should have asked for permission instead of forgiveness.;)

5. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Why are these batteries not replaceable in many devices NOT made by apple?

6. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Ahah cmon... this is a feature. Almost any device do that with a depleted battery, especially if the device is powerful. Workin in IT I see this kind of thing everyday in PC, Macs and other devices. Simply the iPhone doens’t turn off like all the others. Also slow down is not the right term, just less peak power.

7. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Because Apple is Green and environmentally friendly. There is no reason to throw that perfectly good phone with a bad battery away because it is slow and buy a new phone faster phone with a good battery.

8. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

9. NewPilgrim, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

NewPilgrim macrumors newbie

NewPilgrim

10. DanTheMan827, Feb 11, 2019

DanTheMan827 macrumors newbie

Then why is it that my mid-2009 MacBook pro couldn't run Sierra / High Sierra, yet the MacBook released sometime after with basically identical hardware can...

They also don't offer drivers for my MacBook Pro that are compatible with Windows 10 either...

I know it's old hardware, but at the time they actively decided to stop supporting it even though a similar non-pro version was still actively supported.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

They used to be replaceable for a long time, I think the main advantage of having them inside the phone and not replaceable is that it needs less space, normally the battery comparement it shielded of by plastic for instance, this is most likely already a mm think.

12. DanTheMan827 macrumors newbie

So it's just a typical case of apple using form over function...

How hard would it really be to have a sliding back cover like the iPhone 4 had that gave you easy access to the battery?

I'd gladly take a phone that's 2mm thicker if I could replace the battery freely... thin phones just feel slippery in the hand...

13. justperry, Feb 11, 2019

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

They said "do anything to intentionally shorten", they don't shorten the life, they just prevent you from running a newer OS, the Mac will still run on the older OS.

The iPhone 4 did not have a sliding cover, you also had to remove screws.

No iPhone ever had a "user replaceable" battery as in, no easy access, need prying open or remove some screws.

14. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

This question has been answered and the topic debated ad nauseam. The throttling does not occur all of the time, most users will not see any throttling, and those that do will not notice any perceptible performance decrease as a result of any throttling.

If Apple informed people of every change that might affect performance in anyway, no matter how minor or how many users it affects, the release notes would be 500 pages long.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 ---
    First I've heard that the batteries in any iPhone can't be replaced. I've replaced plenty of iPhone batteries.

15. LordVic macrumors 601

did you drop your "/s" tag?

16. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Usually it’s a hardware related limitation that Apple can’t (or rather doesn’t care) to work with
    • Snow Leopard killed off the PowerPC Macs
    • Lion took out the Core Duos
    • Mountain Lion executed the integrated GMA graphics models and others that couldn’t support the newer OpenGL framework
    • El Capitan brought SIP protection which was a major blow to hackintosh and Unsupported Mac community. It also took out ‘unnecessary’ chipset Kernel Extensions (remains of Older Macs that could be used by people like me)
    • Mojave took out non-Metal supported graphics.
    There are thread here where you can install Sierra+ on your Macs (provided you understand the risks and small hiccups)

17. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Why bring other devices when we're talking about Apple specifically? Wasn't Apple supposed to be different for the better user experience? :rolleyes:

18. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yes, every device does this. Windows, Mac, whatever. It's been present in MacBooks where the CPU is heavily throttled if it doesn't detect a battery, or if the battery needs to be replaced urgently. We've known about this for decades, yet somehow it's different when it comes to phones or people think it's a sneaky "Tim Crook" feature.

I wish they did it with my iPhone 5S in its later life. Nothing worse than having a tethered battery life or a phone which dies at any given time so I don't even know if my Uber request in the freezing cold in the middle of nowhere went through.

Dangerous to write the truth around here though. It doesn't fit an anti-Apple narrative.

19. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

iPhone 4 was not designed as having a ‘user replaceable’ battery
    If the Manufacturer doesn’t give an opening and you have to use screw drivers to open the device, it is not technically ‘user replaceable’ and it possibly voids warranties.

20. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

I wouldn't mind either, but have no troubles with it being slippery, I have the iPhone Xs, as you know it's all glass, too fragile to not use a case.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

To frame your response the way you did (...every change that might affect performance in anyway, no matter how minor or how many users it affects...) implies that you fully understand where Apple went wrong. No one is suggesting Apple inform customer of every change that might affect performance in any way, but you know that already. Sweeping proclamations do little to further a discussion.Each issue is it's own entity and should be handled as such.

Had they informed customers proactively, I believe they wouldn't have had the issue blow up the way it did. Could it have been worse? I don't know... maybe. But I do know what it became... and that wasn't good for Apple. Good for customers who received inexpensive battery replacements, but not so good for Apple.

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Because there is a reason there is an industry trend toward non-replaceable batteries and it has to do with thinness.(and maybe durability) a user replaceable battery will not make for a better experience.

23. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

General rule of thumb: whenever a business or politician tells you something they are not doing it usually means that they are doing it.

24. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Because when the phone is being throttled in the Apple side, the ones who started the "trend" as you say, the user is "obligated" to buy a new iPhone or spend the tedious time consuming effort of going to an Apple store they probably don't have in near where they live, to replace the battery. Fear not, Android OEM's don't throttle their phones unlike Apple.
    A user replaceable battery definitely makes for a better user experience, I can keep 5 batteries with me and change them during the day, once one dies, I can still keep the phone alive and change the battery. There's no point in your arguments because you're always playing the defensive game, "Mine is bad, but the others is bad too!" that's not how it should work and makes your arguments not having any fundament. We are talking about Apple and what they did was so anti costumer, they got law suited, they made a public statement to apologize to the costumers, they reduced the prices on their overpriced batteries, and they had by laws to inform costumers about possible future slowdowns. Are you brave enough to keep defending this anti-costumer attitude? I guess so...

25. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Apple: We have never -- and would never -- do anything to intentionally shorten the life of any Apple product, or degrade the user experience to drive customer upgrades.

Also Apple: ...nor did we advise customers that changing the battery would restore performance.

The intent was the same.