Apple Forced to Add Notice About iPhone Slowdown Saga on Italian Homepage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:45 AM.

1. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

No, it isn't.

A phone with a replaceable battery is significantly thicker, heavier, and more mechanically complicated. Thus, most people will find it not only less desirable; they'll also find that it's more prone to mechanical failure.

All that just to please a very small percentage of users who want more flexibility.

No iPhone had access to the battery. No iPhone had a sliding back cover.

It's more than just thickness.

2. aylk macrumors regular

aylk

You clearly don't own one of these phones...

3. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Apple's solution wasn't a fail-safe. It was a band-aid. A fail-safe is meant to be a temporary intervention. When a fail-safe is triggered, you address the problem with the primary mechanism afterwards. In this example, you replace the deficient battery. Unfortunately, Apple's so-called fail-safe doesn't alert you that there's an issue. And Apple's service techs were equally uniformed. In fact, Apple didn't reveal their throttling band-aid to them either.

Good luck with that. People, including myself, did that and were told our batteries were fine.

According to your wisdom, you don't replace a phone because the battery is failing. You replace the battery. Unfortunately, Apple didn't advise anyone of that option.

It is if they don't disclose that the issue exists, and profit from people's ignorance of the cause and its solution.

4. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I have a brand new iPhone and one day a while ago I was working outside in -8ºC all day. It unexpectedly shut down due to the cold and automatically enabled low performance mode. My battery is in perfect condition by the way. If I didn't go and disable this feature manually, it would still be in low performance mode. Years later it would still be running slow and had I missed the notification, I would not know why. If I wasn't tech savvy, I would not have known that this mode can be disabled. It would have ruined a perfectly good phone just because it's stupid and doesn't get that the battery can sometimes perform poorly even if it's in great condition, and that's normal.

Maybe make the feature opt-in. Include a message that advises you to enable this mode, rather than enabling it automatically.

No one is going to buy a new iPhone just because it shut down once or twice. But if it runs slowly every single minute of every single day? That's quite a different experience.

5. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Hmm, I am not sure why you quoted my post, I said basically the same, a replaceable battery will take more space.

6. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

You would never shorten the life of a product, but would you develop the device in such a way that restricted or limited long-term usability?

What is the life expectancy of a new, flagship iPhone, Apple?

7. apolloa macrumors G4

Should have bought a Note 9 as that would’ve worked better out the box!
    Not sure if the Pixel slows down when the battery is reduced in capacity though?

8. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

I had originally intended to respond to the statement: "I think the main advantage of having them inside the phone and not replaceable is that it needs less space", which is only part of it.

I didn't mean to take your quote out of context or disagree with it.

9. Knight3 macrumors regular

So it doesn't burn people's crotches like the Note 7 did.

10. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Apple is famous for excuses. Well played, apple sauce.

11. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

For some reason... Apple fans never get the message. There were instants where genius bar employees were refusing service battery and suggest purchasing new phone. There was a gaint thread about this.

For some reason, Apple employee will refuse to replace battery if battery is above 80% capacity. Even if the cusomter insisted to pay for battery replacement, Apple store employee was refusing to service the phone.

So it is not about throttling the phone is bad, it is Apple never commuicate with its customer and its Store Employee. Some people were tricked to buy new phone when it was not necessary.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:04 PM ---
    Are you sure every device does this? Becuase my ThinkPad does not throttle my CPU one I was on battery. CPU keeps running on stock speed and sometimes will jump to its Turbo speed as well.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM ---
    No it wasn't. Most phones with replacable battery has removable back. It wasn't some mechical part that, it is basically some latches. You can open it with your fingernails.

iPhone 4 and 4S had sliding back cover before. All you need to do was unscrew two screws on the bottom of the phone and you literaly sliding the back cover. I remember old days, there was all kind of third party back panels with all kind of colours. Some people were changing their back covers with different colours.

12. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

it is user replaceable or did you mean you want the back to slide open and swap it like all the new rival devices? /s

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

All the new rival devices?

14. koruki macrumors 65816

koruki

I agree, although the new phones also have a two screw access system, they glue it down with some obnoxiously strong adhesive, there is no question on why that is. They could have used a light weigh adhesive if they just want the battery to not move around.

15. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

I have my Android phone receiving the latest updates past 2 years. So not all Android phone OEMs are the same. You pick which. And you gets all the core apps, like Google services updated through Google Play Store. So it makes software version update less needed. Lots of my Android phones, OEM will provide updates to its own skined version. My old Xiaomi phone gets more than 4 years of updates. However, it was only to MiUI version not Android version (i believe only 2 Andorid version updates). MiUI updates fixed glitches for MIUI and brought new MiUI features to old phones.

So you can't say Android phones do not get updates.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:20 PM ---
    Because of water proofing. Although i have seen phones with higher IP rating with replaceable battery. I think for most part, Apple never wants you to disassemble the phone. Partly because of water proof and for most part, Apple wants you spend money on its store for fixing iPhone problems.

16. ntlman, Feb 11, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 8:32 PM

ntlman macrumors member

ntlman

I've posted this exercise before, but it appears we have a few apple-flavored kool aid drinkers on this thread, so cheers.
    1. Why did Apple invent MagSafe? To address a real issue (tripped power cords can ruin your fancy premium, Apple product)
    2. Was it a bad idea? Of course not.
    3. Is your MacBook better off not having it? Of course not.
    4. Do you think Steve Jobs would have removed it when Cook did? Not w/a non-breakaway USB-C port... SINCE THAT IS AN OBVIOUS AND PENNY-PINCHING DEGRADATION OF USER EXPERIENCE. NOT TO MENTION IT IS A SELF-SERVING ATTEMPT TO GOOSE GROWTH IN "SERVICES" BY INCREASING THE CHANCE YOUR MACBOOK'S POWER CORD GETS TRIPPED UP (THUS REQUIRING AN APPLE REPAIR FEE OR REPLACEMENT MACBOOK PURCHASE)

17. UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

But XR doesn’t come in green :)

18. dilbert99 macrumors 68000

Slow down is most certainly the correct term.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 1:01 AM ---
    People noticed the slowdown and when the battery was replaced, they didn't need to upgrade their phones. Meaning Apple sold a lot less phones this year.

Rose glasses

19. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

1000's of devices in my organisation with the slightest sign of battery degradation saw huge a performance decrease.

Apple knew what they were doing and got caught. They deserve every fine they get from this humiliating episode. However, money is nothing to Apple so the fines essentially mean nothing. What Apple will find a challenge is rebuilding their trust with millions of customers & money can't fix that.

20. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

I come from that country and feel sure to behave correctly and "straightforward". I won't even ask you which country are you from.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2019 at 3:37 AM ---
    may want to read this, though already widely discussed in former topics

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

This is a sliding back cover.

[​IMG]

No, what you had was a warranty violation.

It doesn't matter that it used to be easier to exchange the battery on an iPhone; no shipping iPhone ever had a user-replaceable battery.

They did indeed, but you're thinking of a 1990s Nokia phone, not an iPhone.

22. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

...not too far away. Svizzera per essere più preciso.

23. ntlman macrumors member

ntlman

If Apple were truly green, and not just committed to green-marketing, they would not make a computer where the speakers, keyboard, trackpad and battery were all glued together and require the disposal of the other 3 perfectly good components if one goes bad.

24. TracesOfArsenic macrumors member

TracesOfArsenic

Thing is, they weren't planning on being discovered.

25. UKinEK, Feb 13, 2019 at 2:41 AM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019 at 2:56 AM

UKinEK macrumors 6502

UKinEK

I have replaced battery last year and I am a user :) go figure.

Do you people know, what is the difference between “non replaceable” and “pain in the ar*e to replace by yourself”?

If you do honestly not know, that would be a sad state of affair.
    It’s not like if the battery goes bad, they throw the phone and the battery on the skip.