Apple Forced to Add Notice About iPhone Slowdown Saga on Italian Homepage

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:45 AM.

1. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This is going to encourage Apple to only update the newest iPhone. They even provided an update to disable this. If they just stop providing updates, they will come out ahead. That's the message here. Android phones rarely get more than one major update and sell incredibly well. Most OEMs don't really care about fixing glitchy behaviors with their phones as well. Apple should follow their lead and stop fixing problems with older phones and only provide updates each year for last year's model. Then everyone will be happy and can stop complaining about all the free stuff they get. It's a win-win situation and everyone on MacRumors can chill. Looking forward to it.

2. axantas macrumors regular

axantas

If they only were that correct and straightforward in that country, if they are involved themselves...

Pointing at someone else is much easier though.

3. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

There aren't many glitches with Android as there are with Apple so there's nothing really to fix besides Security patches which all Android phones receive monthly. Free stuff? You pay for it, lol.

4. needsomecoffee macrumors regular

needsomecoffee

The crime was not designing the battery test software used by the Geniuses to detect the issue related to impedance. Users were never given information about why their phones were affected. Geniuses refused battery replacement even if the consumer wanted to pay for it because it passed the test. Was this intentional? If not, was it negligent fraud? Certainly hope that the battery class action law suit goes to court and we find out. If settled, I think Apple likely planned it, but we will of course never know because the settlement will cover everything with NDAs. Peak demand (affected by impedance) is one of the most basic issues affecting lion battery devices. Hard to believe Apple is so siloed that the test software engineers did not know this.

5. maxfromdenmark macrumors member

maxfromdenmark

Unless Apple looses income and pushing customers to buy new devices instead fixing old ones... Double standards

6. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Lesson Learned. Let the devices die instead of extending their lives. It’s not worth the trouble as you will get sued for it anyway. It’s a win win win for them. They no longer have to worry about maximizing device life, they won’t have to worry about being sued for doing so, and get faster device upgrades as a result. Just Let it die like the others companies who only support devices for 2 years if that.

Sometime Apple buyers really know how to shoot themselves in the foot. At times I really miss the days when Apple was only for real fans and considered a niche company. These are the intangibles we loved Apple for, now as a mass company they get sued for it. Insanity at its best.

7. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Thank you Apple for not telling me you were slowing down the speed of my phone to allow me to use it beyond its peak battery capabilities when the consumable battery started degrading. I much prefer to have my phone crash and restart vs just slowing it down a little bit. /sarcasm

8. Baymowe335 Suspended

Why are you making it sound like an Apple issue?

Who makes a phone these days with a replaceable battery?

9. Defthand macrumors 6502a

Or… Thanks Apple for not telling me you were throttling my phone and letting me believe the phone itself was aging and needed to be replaced. I much prefer paying $800+ unnecessarily than replace a battery for ~$50.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

11. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Really? So you’d rather have your phone crash regularly instead of it slowing down? Everything you own likely has some fail safes in it. Your car, etc that prevent it from taking a **** and work on reduced power when there’s a problem. If your phone felt slow, go to Genius Bar and have them tell you your battery is bad. Same way you go to a Dr or Mechenic. If something’s wrong you typically don’t just replace with new, you find out what’s wrong and determine best path forward for you. Am I happy Apple has the battery health section now? Yes, but all these whiny people over Apple trying to allow people to use their phones with bad batteries is not malicious. Now Apple knows it’s user base better and will over disclose the **** out of everything to please the minority.

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Bullocks, they do have power management, all computer devices have.

Again, untrue, older Android version are mostly left in the dark.

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

It's not dangerous to write the truth. It is dangerous to alter it though;). It's also silly to ignore it. Apple didn't get in trouble for implementing battery management software. To act as if they did, is simply willful ignorance. Apple got in trouble for not informing customers of what they were doing before they did it, and not offering customers an alternative. They didn't do the right thing (offer an alternative) until after the backlash.

Lesson learned would be to "be upfront" with customers. Letting devices die was not the only outcome. Hindsight proves that. So does common sense.

14. Wags macrumors 6502a

Doesn’t using cheaper less quality parts shorten the life or designs that require expensive repairs?

15. iBluetooth macrumors member

Again: They didn't slow down the phones. They adapted the speed peaks so that they would not exceed a degrading battery power, which would have resulted in a crash. But I understand that it's easier for the media to say "slow down" :)

16. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Good. This issue should not die a quick death or they may take another approach.

17. LordVic macrumors 601

sounds like you actually haven't the clue about the timeline of events and why people are upset. hint, they're not upset over using throttling to prevent their phones from randomly rebooting.

Their upset that Apple lied to them about it, mislead them, and spent months NOT updating the Genius bar people to know what to look for, which led to Genius bar recommendations of replacing the phone instead of repairing.

I agree that the work around presented to throttle the phones was the lesser of two evils to make up for a design defect of batteries that degraded their peak power too fast (1-2 years). That is NOT the question in debate here.

Timeline of events is what made people upset.
    1. People noticed their phones were slow and in an interview, Tim Cook was asked "Do you intentionally throttle old phones?". Tim outright said "NO we do not throttle devices based on their age".

2. Users were't happy with that response and did more digging. They found that yes, iPhones were being throttled.

3. Users who took their devices to Apple because of throttling, had their battery CAPACITY only checked. Devices that passed this capacity test were outright refused battery replacement services by Apple. Even if they were willing to pay. This test was erroneous as it is NOT a CAPACITY problem, but a peak load problem. Something that Apple's testing in store DID NOT test for. Leading to a LOT of people's batteries "passing" and refusal of service.

4. Apple finally after a couple months of reports admitted that they were throttling devices that had batteries that were unable to supply peak load. And that the behaviour is intentional and was rolled out in a previous iOS patch (that did not outline the throttling, only "battery management". Further misleading users.

5. After lawsuits for the throttling came in, Apple finally relented and offered a limited time only $29 battery replacement.

What should have happened is immediately when Apple identified a design flaw that would grossly negatively affect the lifespan and health of the devices in question, that they immediately offered a battery replacement programme, a trade in offer, and fully, openly announced the failure in question. This is what people are upset over. Apple's lying and lack of transparency over this issue.

18. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Majority of people don’t change batteries even where it is offered. I’ve had many and generally I upgrade before feeling the need to replace battery.

I would say the amount of people who actually did are definitely less than 5% if not much lower.

So why not make improvements that benefit the vast majority of their customers?

19. apolloa macrumors G4

Oh good, I’m so so so glad about this, many more cases to follow including the criminal case in France, cannot wait for the screws to be turned even more.

Apple was trying to force planned obsolescence, the fact its own in store diagnostics software never ever stated their was an issue with peoples batteries, despite the iOS deliberately slowing iPhones down because of the battery proved it, because the staff would then guide those people to new iPhones...
    It’s the ultimate sales scam nearly.

As much as I use Apples decides, this is an act they fully deserve to be properly and fully punished for. Cook would have stepped down if he had any decency, but he doesn’t..

20. apolloa macrumors G4

But how can you get Apple to replace said battery when it’s very own in store diagnostics software flat out claimed your battery war 100%, no issues with it at all, and the store refuses to change your battery even when you offer money.

Then when the **** hit the fan for Apple over this scam they started to refuse to change batteries when the phone had nicks in the casing or other tiny defects, this was reported in the national news in the UK...

As I said, you wait, so many investigations are being performed into this scam. It’s far from over.

21. Doomtomb macrumors 6502

Doomtomb

Lol, these comments.

Nothing about my comment made it seem like an Apple issue - you added that part.

Sit down my young child, once upon a time ALL phones had a replaceable battery. Some users would even bring an extra battery for long trips. It was Apple that changed everything.

22. Baymowe335 Suspended

I'm old enough to remember a life without phones at all, so let's cool the Grandfather talk.

Not everything has to be said. You did make it sound like this is an Apple phenomenon when it's just the reality of the situation. It's not like the phones with removable batteries were better than today's phones, so it would be silly to long for the days of that functionality.

23. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Exactly, I think that even if Apple would publish an article stating that they rip off costumers and only care about their money some here would argue, "that's not exactly what they said, and atleast they care about our privacy so it's not that bad! look at Android!!!". Unfortunately I'm 100% sure this is how it would be, even after law suit after law suit, and useless apologies from Mr Cook.

24. apolloa macrumors G4

Yes, I was livid with their total contempt for the British courts decision, so were the courts hence the massive back peddling and apologies reins Apple, I suspect the courts mentioned the words in contempt and prison terms to Apples board and all of a sudden they did as ordered to. But it did show their complete disregard for laws and courts in the markets they sell..

25. aylk macrumors regular

aylk

Because Apple started this trend. Just like the headphone jack.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:22 AM ---
    You used to be able to remove the screws then slide the cover...