Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I wonder what Apple's overall strategy behind these bizarre restrictions is.

It seems they want to break iOS just enough to keep it from becoming a perfect system to accomplish everything we need.

It's always seemed this way for years.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm currently balancing between iOS and Android (I have devices from both platforms), and while iOS is otherwise better for my use, stunts like this are not exactly encouraging me to further invest on the platform. Maybe this is why we still don't have proper task switching on the iPad using an external keyboard. There's lots of potential, but the final finishing touches are missing due to idiotic policies or neglect.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Didn't get iPhone 6+ as I planned due to only 1gb of ram. Thought of waiting for the 6s+, but I doubt I will buy that as well. Gonna keep my 5s for work, and for private phone probably gonna get lg g3 or note 4.

If Apple doesn't change their way anytime soon, I doubt I will buy another iPhone any time soon. And I owned every iPhone since 3g.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Makes sense. If Apple make it too easy to virtually extend the storage of iDevices, then more people will buy the base storage models and Apple's margins shrink.

The goal isn't so much to keep file management complex and difficult so people will just give up and order a 128GB iDevice. It's just that Apple don't make as much effort to enable simple file management. The end result is the same.

EightBitJoe

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2014
Documents by Readdle allows you to move files to and from its iCloud folder, even those created in other apps (both desktop and mobile). Does this spell doom for them as well?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Here's an idea. Apple could discuss these details fully--internally and with the developer--BEFORE blocking in app. Instead of after. Then either the dev would know the details reasons (worst case) or Apple could revise the policy BEFORE public embarrassment (best case).

Crazy, I know.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
When they unveil the no-doubt amazing advances in iOS 9, we should remember all these reversals lest we get too excited and expect to be able to take advantage of those features in any truly useful ways. Or think to ourselves that this year, this year, we will finally be treated like grownups able to manage our own devices.

Good rule of thumb: whatever you think you can do with a new feature from iOS, you have to wait a year or two to actually get it.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Apple has always felt they did not have to listen, and as long as they had great ideas, they were probably right. But it seems its not about great ideas now, its about control and taking as much as they can.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Dammit Apple Why? What is to be gained from only allowing app made content to go into iCloud drive? Stop focussing on getting the next ipad 0.001 mm thinner, and start fixing your services and stupid policies.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I wonder what Apple's overall strategy behind these bizarre restrictions is.

It seems they want to break iOS just enough to keep it from becoming a perfect system to accomplish everything we need.

It's always seemed this way for years.

Years of obsessing over power and control fulfills Apple's deep-seated need to prove they can do whatever they want on a whim. It works perfectly, just look at all the money they're making.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Something I just can't seem to find an answer to: does Transmit for iOS allow you to browse iCloud Drive and view/open files?

skunkyjosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Apple could just buy Transmit, shut down the app and make their employes work for them? :cool:

Isn't that the way Apple usually fix things?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Man, Apple. If you aren't careful you'll end up being like Microsoft was and still sort of is. You'll be hoping that someday you will once again be "with the times"

skunkyjosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Makes sense. If Apple make it too easy to virtually extend the storage of iDevices, then more people will buy the base storage models and Apple's margins shrink.

The goal isn't so much to keep file management complex and difficult so people will just give up and order a 128GB iDevice. It's just that Apple don't make as much effort to enable simple file management. The end result is the same.

Right on.

The way I see it is Apple want people to buy larger devices (64 GB/128 GB) and even buy additional storage through iCloud if needed on, as it is monthly recurring subscription that never ends. They do not want to encourage the consumers to use third party storage solutions and lose money on that. At least, they don't want to make it easy to do if they go with the competition for storage solution... hence why they are blocking some of the Transit features to be released. Apple has a much better margin on you buying their products, services like Icloud than you using a third party solution even if it's a paid app.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Something I just can't seem to find an answer to: does Transmit for iOS allow you to browse iCloud Drive and view/open files?

You can import. You click the + button, click "Import from iCloud Drive", and it'll show you what it has in there. It won't like let you look into it without downloading though.

Mad Mac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008
Man, Apple. If you aren't careful you'll end up being like Microsoft was and still sort of is. You'll be hoping that someday you will once again be "with the times"
I dunno. Apple seems to be way more vile than Microsoft ever was. They will soon wear out any good will they have developed due to their greed. But I supposed Cook & Co. won't care because they are making bank now.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It's amazing there are still people who think the app store approval process is anything but a black mark against buying Apple products.

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
could this type of move rekindle hope that apple might be working on/releasing a stand a lone iCloud drive file manager app? a la dropbox/former idisk apps.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
could this type of move rekindle hope that apple might be working on/releasing a stand a lone iCloud drive file manager app? a la dropbox/former idisk apps.

Apple hate files. They want apps to manage their own files and users not to know that a file system exists. No matter if it is on the Cloud or not.

I was already very surprised to see an iCloud Drive on OS X, but at least there with Finder still being a thing it does make sense. However on iOS it does not. I would be extremely surprised to see it there. You shouldn't keep your hopes up for this... Not unless something dramatically changed in Apples thinking anyway.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Hate to say it, but get an Android if you want true cloud services. Here is the right way to do cloud services:

My dad's new samsung galaxy S5: I downloaded dropbox for him, and he already has a microSD card. All photos automatically uploaded to dropbox, and then automatically uploaded to google+/drive. The file manager in Android also allows him to move photo files back and forth between his phone and the microSD card.

Seriously, Apple, it's not that hard. Google and Dropbox can do it, your team can do. Get your **** together.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple allows an app to receive from iCloud, but cannot be use to send stuff unless the content uploaded was created in the app ?

This is a good app...... Its a ftp app, how can u possibly create content within the app ?

There is one way out of this...

Don't use iCloud drive...... :D Users will understand its too restrictive.

david-d-ri

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2014
Dear Apple - here's a consumer's view:

You create mobileMe. It has a drive. It's slow. You discontinue it. I subscribe to DropBox. Great cloud drive!

You introduce iCloud. It syncs my music and pictures in the background. And some settings. And email. Nice. And it does some document syncing, but it's too limited for me, and doesn't give me access to the files other than through the app that created them. Useless. Like I'm supposed to remember what every file I save was created in. And usually it's an MS office app.

You introduce iCloud Drive. I think I can move back to an apple universe.

Then:
You refuse to create an iOS version of an app like DropBox app or OneDrive app. Sure, you embed iCloud Drive in the Mac's Finder like OneDrive on the PC. And you create an iCloud drive interface for the PC. That's dandy. But I have a Mac and an iPad and an iPhone. So what about iOS? How about supporting it like DropBox and OneDrive and every other cloud drive?
Not only do you NOT do that, but when someone else does it, you kill it.

Why?

Are you seriously requiring me to to know what app to launch IN ADVANCE for one of thousands of files I may have stored there from my Mac or PC? Maybe I remember a table, but it's in word not excel. So I launch Numbers, can't find it, and then have to launch Pages? And what if I want to use MS Office on my iPad and open my files in the cloud? Can it see iCloud Drive? No. But it can see OneDrive and DropBox. If I had an iCloud drive app, I could maybe do an open in...ms word? THAT WOULD BE USEFUL! Ask around.

I give up trying to make sense of your iCloud drive, or trying to find a way to make it fit. Let it spin in the background doing whatever it is that it does. I'll use DropBox. At least I understand DropBox (because it works like everyone in the world would expect a drive to work), and it works with other iOS apps.

I can't believe you're not letting an app load other files to iCloud drive. Wow. That seems truly insane from user land. It's like your determined to make iCloud Drive remain inscrutable.

If anyone can explain the logic here, I'd love to know what I'm missing.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Does this have anything to do with preventing malware getting into iCloud? I use Transmit as an ftp tool but have never needed it for anything but website development. I get to Dropbox and Box through their own interfaces.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.