Apple gave me a BRAND NEW i7 Quad 15"!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HBOC, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

So I have had troubles with my early 2008 2.5GHZ 15" MBP. Long story short, it has had the LB replaced twice, keyboard twice, brand new screen; and was still having problems.

I made an appointment for Saturday at the genius bar, but was downtown today and swapped my appointment for today. I brought in all my paper work for the repairs (a "few" of them). I told him what was the problem, and flat out asked him if they ever just replace the computer. He said they do. I asked if I can get a new one. After looking up my repair history, he said that mine doesn't fall under the "guidelines", but he could swap it for me!

I asked about if I can get the new ones released today, and he said as long as they had them in stock, no problems. I asked about the specs..mine was a high end 15" w/512MB graphics card, and if I would get the high end 15". They said they don't match spec for spec usually, and said hge would be back in a minute (went back to get mine).

Came back, and i got the highest model they have w/o BTO ones! I am soo stoked! Apple has come through ONCE AGAIN!!! I will miss mine, no doubt, but can't turn down a new one!

Here are a few pics..

Attached Files:

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

That's pretty awesome.

Hopefully all those repairs were under Applecare so you basically borrowed a computer for three years (minus hassles) for free ;)

3. danetello macrumors 6502

4. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

man I hope my display craps out again.....I'm gettin a new one if it does...LOL

5. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

I am still giddy, lol.

Yes, I had AC on it. I still am covered until 10/11, so I need to call Apple and have them transfer over the remaining AC onto this one. I am going to try and see if I can just buy a whole new AC on this one. I will find out tomorrow when I call.

I am kinda bummed that this doesn't have a 7200RPM drive (i had a 500GB 7200RPM drive), but it has 750GB. Now I just need to upgrade to a faster drive and upgrade the RAM, which is a HUGE deal to me!

So I am here to tell you APPLECARE is SOOOO worth it!!

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sometimes its worth it just to get AppleCare and hope your computer craps out on you multiple times. It seems liken good way to get a new one from the stories I've read here.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

congrats on the awesome service you received ... you must be thrilled.

cheers

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

i had an early 15" 2k8 machine and I somehow ended up with the 2010 17" 2.66 hires last year after a couple of issues :D

9. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

lol cograts.
    three strikes rule usually works with Apple. ;)

10. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

wow, with Apple you pay a lot but at least you get the service.

Which other company would give you a brand new, new model replacement?

Congrats!

11. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Congrats, I just ordered mine and got the applecare at the same time, no point in waiting. So many people have had great stories about it.

12. FYDave macrumors member

I was in a very similar situation over the last three weeks.

Long story short, I ended up going from a two year old unibody MacBook (not the MBP) and I'm now sitting in front of the brand new, top tier 15" MacBook Pro with a brand new 3-year AC warranty for free.

I'm definitely pretty stoked myself. Over the course of the last three weeks they also conceding a bunch of other goodies to me like a laptop bag for a 15" MBP, an external HD, and some other accessories.

I'll definitely say that despite the upfront cost that Apple often seems to charge customers, they make up for it in service when you really need something done or changed.

13. Verloc macrumors member

Similar experience. Went from an early 2008 Macbook (white, Penryn) to the mid-2010 Macbook Pro. They bumped it up because of firewire was no longer on 2010 Macbooks. :D

14. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

that is awesome. So they gave you AC for free? I hope they will let me purchase AC on this one. I would rather have 2 years instead of the 8 or 9 months I have left..

15. FYDave macrumors member

I'm actually surprised they didn't auto enroll your new laptop or give you the AC as part of it. I'd go back in and request that the AC be given to you. Your laptop was replaced because of all of the issues it was having and from what I've read elsewhere and in my own experiences the AC moves with it at no additional cost.

16. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Bro please, that's the least of your "problems" lol.

Do yourself a favor and go 8 gigs and get yourself a SSD. You just got a free 2200 dollar computer so you might as well spend several hundred dollars on it. It's the least you could do :)

17. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

well SSD will have to wait. My iTunes library (music only) is 120GB..

I will call Apple tomorrow about the AppleCare. 8GB is a done deal. They didn't even ask me for the charger for my old MBP. eBay it goes..use that money for RAM.

18. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Congrats!

Same thing happened to me with my iMac. Bought a refurbished 27" 3.06GHz Dual Core and had a problem with it, took it in to Apple and they replaced it with a brand new i7 2.93GHz Quad Core model with double the video RAM! I had paid about $1200 for the refurbished one and ended up getting a computer worth double that. I love Apple. :)

19. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Put the old disk in an Optibay where the CD drive was and sym link folders with documents. My iTunes music and all my documents, downloads, and files are stored on a mechanical disk, and the OS, applications and settings are on my 60Gb SSD, and Itunes doesn't even know the difference.

20. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

21. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

I will be in shock for a while:). What a step up! this screen is AMAZING! Coming from a non LED Matte to this is nice. Build quality is obviously waaay better than my old one, although the "classics" are not that bad.

Gots to get 8Gb of RAM, and I can finally play NBA 2K11. Wouldn't even render on my old one, and it had 512MB Vcard.

22. flame3379 macrumors newbie

What happened to your macbook for them to replace it?

23. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

they had just replaced the logicboard (2nd time), the keyboard (second time), the battery, the uppercase, the Matte Screen ($500 just for that) and clamshell in December. It was still acting up.

24. Sudaddy macrumors member

Congrats!

Just curious, did you have the Apple Care protection for the old MacBook Pro? Just wondering what type of warranty you had - I want to get the same!