Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstnggt66

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I was lured in by the extra $100 trade-in offer for a new XR. Perfectly happy with my 6S, I decided to take advantage of the offer and go for it.

- Purchased iPhone XR
- Received iPhone XR within 2 business days. Did not open for another 3 days while waiting for trade-in box.
- Finally received trade-in box, shined up the 6S and put it in the box. I noticed no issues with the phone.
- Two weeks go by...
- Get email from Apple Giveback that value was revised from $200 to $75!
- Next day, get email stating Apple store gift cards being sent to me.

I did the trade-in with the terms stating $200 trade-in value and credit back to my original payment type. Neither happened. I debated having them send me the 6S back to sell on the open market but at this point, not worth the hassle since open market 6S phones are only selling for $125ish.

I am disappointed in Apple for this one. Especially given the heavy marketing they are doing on the trade-in promotion.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I would stay the heck away from these trade in programs. Apple wouldn't do it if they didn't make a profit. You pay a premium for convenience.

For example: The iPhone upgrade program? If you swap out an iPhone every year, you're better off financing your phone through a third party at a low rate of interest, selling the device privately, and then buying the next device.

I was on iPhone upgrade program and it was pretty difficult to get out. I had to jump through some hoops to explain to Swappa that the phone wasn't subject to being deactivated if I didn't pay my loan.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
This is exactly why I never deal with these trade-in scams... the money you are getting is so low to begin with and then they pull these types of shenanigans on top of that....I get the whole convenience factor, but if I can't sell my phone to a third party, I would much rather keep it or give it a family member than use one these "trade-in" scams.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
In the offer it stated could be returned.
[doublepost=1545395060][/doublepost]

Apple pointed the finger to their "partner" and then the "partner" was of no help. Just read the email to me stating there was screen damage which I know there was not.
I use Swappa and I always, always, ALWAYS take a video of myself packing the device.

Pretty easy procedure (albeit kind of a pain)
  1. Gather all materials and shipping labels and such
  2. Turn on factory reset device
  3. Turn on accessibility tools
  4. Start video on other device
  5. Make sure you can hear the speakers on the device you're packing up (accessibility should make the device talk to you)
  6. Once the video has captured the screen on and some kind of sound, leave camera on and take a video of you packing the device and appending the shipping label

That way, you know you had a working phone on the day you packed it up.
[doublepost=1545406096][/doublepost]
This is exactly why I never deal with these trade-in scams... the money you are getting is so low to begin with and then they pull these types of shenanigans on top of that....I get the whole convenience factor, but if I can't sell my phone to a third party, I would much rather keep it or give it a family member than use one these "trade-in" scams.
And even if you get the value you want, it's still well under what you could get on eBay, Swappa. Heck, even Gazelle has better deals.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
I would stay the heck away from these trade in programs. Apple wouldn't do it if they didn't make a profit. You pay a premium for convenience.

For example: The iPhone upgrade program? If you swap out an iPhone every year, you're better off financing your phone through a third party at a low rate of interest, selling the device privately, and then buying the next device.

I was on iPhone upgrade program and it was pretty difficult to get out. I had to jump through some hoops to explain to Swappa that the phone wasn't subject to being deactivated if I didn't pay my loan.
Amen. IUP is for people that don't want to pay full price up front and are willing to pay for the convenience of having a new iPhone every year without the "hassle" of selling the old one.

In IUP you are required (and are paying for) AppleCare+. Not everyone wants that expenditure.

As an example I'll use my iPhone X that I recently sold:

$1000 purchase price plus $70 tax
$1070 total

Sold it for $700 after 50 weeks of ownership (just shy of a year)

$700-$20(Swappa fee)-$20(PayPal fee)-$15(shipping fee)=$645

$1070-$645=$425 total cost of ownership for a year

IUP costs:

$84 tax up front
$49.91 per month x 12 months= $598.92

$84+$598.92=$682.92 total cost of ownership for a year

$682.92-$425 Difference between my iPhone X purchase and someone on IUP=$257.92 for one years use.

The little bit of effort to sell is well worth it to me to save over $250.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Always trade in at an Apple store. Never use the mail in service.

If you mail it in it will go through Phobio (I believe) and you will NEVER get the quoted price. They will flat out lie to you about the state of your trade in so as to offer much less.

If you trade it in at the store, they will tell you what it’s worth and actually give it to you. I’ve complained more than once to Apple about their “partner” Phobio’s practices.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Always trade in at an Apple store. Never use the mail in service.

If you mail it in it will go through Phobio (I believe) and you will NEVER get the quoted price. They will flat out lie to you about the state of your trade in so as to offer much less.

If you trade it in at the store, they will tell you what it’s worth and actually give it to you. I’ve complained more than once to Apple about their “partner” Phobio’s practices.
I agree, I’d never send a phone in for trade in value. If I don’t get value in store I’d rather sell it on my own... Too many stories of these type of outcomes to take a chance

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
That sucks. I traded in two 6's at the Apple store and instantly got the double credit for both of them on the spot. The mail in stuff is always shady.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Below is a screenshot of the email I received from Apple. It's not a scam. I got my $200 back. I also traded back my old iPhone 6S.

I was honest. My 6S was in perfect working condition. The screen had no cracks. The buttons all worked. It was in good/excellent condition. And I also follow directions. Like the fact that Apple specifically told you that you needed to iCloud wipe your trade-in iPhone before you ship it to them (the receiving trade-in partner). They wrote in their instructions that if iCloud and Find My iPhone was not de-activated for that old iPhone, your phone would be of little value to them (since the last owner could, in theory, still reclaim it as stolen, or the IMEI would be under dubious claim ownership). They don't want to deal with that crap. That's why they told you to specifically iCloud wipe your phone, and to make sure it's no longer part of the Find My iPhone registry. They also send you a postage paid shipping box, and give you directions on how to package your old iPhone and send it back to them by dropping it off at Fedex (already prepaid shipping). People need to follow all directions. It's not hard.

Not a scam.png

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
You can sell your iPhone 6s to a reputable person or use one of the better websites. I, too realise that Apple's trade-in is a bit of a scam, especially online - no way is your 6s only worth $75.

musicmachine

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2016
You can also trade in for watch or iPad, great deal on series 4 if you have a 6s
[doublepost=1545418302][/doublepost]That’s 200 off watch. So you can get series 4 for 199

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
What I did was when I checked out either in-store pick up or home delivery, is that I did not choose the give back trade in option yet. Once I received my product that I ordered, I waited for a week then took it to the Apple Store for the give back trade in.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Apple is on a roll this past week!! Bend Ipad Pro which to them is normal...Now scamming their customer with trade in value.......... Nice........

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
What you have to remember is that the rebate comes from a 3rd party like Phobio, not Apple. So of course Phobio is going to find every reason to give you less. This happened to my AW3. Anyway, I was able to get it back and I returned the AW4. In the future, my trade-ins will be done in store only.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Below is a screenshot of the email I received from Apple. It's not a scam. I got my $200 back. I also traded back my old iPhone 6S.

I was honest. My 6S was in perfect working condition. The screen had no cracks. The buttons all worked. It was in good/excellent condition. And I also follow directions. Like the fact that Apple specifically told you that you needed to iCloud wipe your trade-in iPhone before you ship it to them (the receiving trade-in partner). They wrote in their instructions that if iCloud and Find My iPhone was not de-activated for that old iPhone, your phone would be of little value to them (since the last owner could, in theory, still reclaim it as stolen, or the IMEI would be under dubious claim ownership). They don't want to deal with that crap. That's why they told you to specifically iCloud wipe your phone, and to make sure it's no longer part of the Find My iPhone registry. They also send you a postage paid shipping box, and give you directions on how to package your old iPhone and send it back to them by dropping it off at Fedex (already prepaid shipping). People need to follow all directions. It's not hard.

View attachment 812063
It sounds like you are making assumptions about the OP's situation. I tried trading in an iMac awhile back. They quoted me $200. When they got it they said it was worth $40. I was however able to get the device back and was only out a week or so time. I don't think anything that you posted has to do with the OP being told their screen was the issue....

Reactions: madKIR and Trin813

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I just sent my 32gig 7 in yesterday. 250.00 is a good price. I’d be pissed if they offer gift cards or a lower price.
If you mailed it in, I can almost guarantee they will come back with a lowball offer after they receive it.
I would be interested in hearing what happens.

rjedoaks

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles
I thought apple was kicking in the extra cash. We’ll find out. A case and screen protector on since day one. Excellent cond.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I was lured in by the extra $100 trade-in offer for a new XR. Perfectly happy with my 6S, I decided to take advantage of the offer and go for it.

- Purchased iPhone XR
- Received iPhone XR within 2 business days. Did not open for another 3 days while waiting for trade-in box.
- Finally received trade-in box, shined up the 6S and put it in the box. I noticed no issues with the phone.
- Two weeks go by...
- Get email from Apple Giveback that value was revised from $200 to $75!
- Next day, get email stating Apple store gift cards being sent to me.

I did the trade-in with the terms stating $200 trade-in value and credit back to my original payment type. Neither happened. I debated having them send me the 6S back to sell on the open market but at this point, not worth the hassle since open market 6S phones are only selling for $125ish.

I am disappointed in Apple for this one. Especially given the heavy marketing they are doing on the trade-in promotion.
You had the option. To pick a mail back if they offered less than, $200 up inspection of your device.
This will end up being an inexpensive life lesson.

missyagogo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2016
I ordered and received yesterday a refurbished iPhone 7 Plus 256GB from Apple, but was considering returning it and buying an XR using the Give Back program. I could get an XR 256GB for the same price as the iPhone 7 Plus I just received.

My trade in is my iPhone 6s Plus 16GB, which has no value based on its low memory, but is in perfect condition as it has rocked a tempered glass screen protector and case from day one. The battery is still at 100%.

However, if Phobio is going to be dishonest and low-ball me on a trade-in offer -- or, worse, even damage my device, which some BBB.org complaints accuse them of -- I have to reconsider how to proceed. I spoke with Apple sales and they were NOT reassuring. The Apple rep stated what I was quoted, $250 for my trade-in, was "an estimate." Nowhere on Apple's online quote page does it mention estimate.

pZ0QTU4.png

Obviously if someone is lying about the condition of their phone, they would not receive full trade-in value. But that does not appear to be what is happening here.

These BBB complaints about Phobio are not reassuring:

https://www.bbb.org/us/ga/atlanta/profile/ecommerce/phobio-llc-0443-27756683/complaints

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It sounds like you are making assumptions about the OP's situation. I tried trading in an iMac awhile back. They quoted me $200. When they got it they said it was worth $40. I was however able to get the device back and was only out a week or so time. I don't think anything that you posted has to do with the OP being told their screen was the issue....
I think what you and the OP posted has anything to do with Apple setting up a "scam". If it's really a scam, there's no chance in hell I would have gotten my $200 back exactly as they quoted me. For the exact same iPhone (which is a 6S) as the OP. The OP's title of this thread alone is a big assumption, the assumption that this was some scam sting operation by Apple. And yet I got my money by following their trade-in program instructions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.