iPhone XR Apple Give Back $200 promotion - scam

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mstnggt66, Dec 21, 2018.

1. missyagogo macrumors newbie

missyagogo

Just because you had a positive experience doesn't negate the less-than-positive experiences of others.

There are plenty of Better Business Bureau complaints about people receiving much lower quotes once their devices were received by Phobio.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ga/atlanta/profile/ecommerce/phobio-llc-0443-27756683/complaints

Neither the OP nor bbdenarz stated Apple is running a "scam sting operation." But a third party is involved, and it doesn't sound like Apple is stepping up when the third party (Phobio) is disappointing customers. In the title, the OP stated the promotion is a scam, and it may well be, given the number of users who have complained.

2. mstnggt66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like I should have went in store instead of mailing it in.

For the record, I followed the instructions exactly and sent in a perfect iPhone. What gets me is the lack of explanation on why the value reduced combined with how Apple is advertising the iPhone price with the $200 trade-in included.

Quick update, I got a $100 refund from Apple in my account. Got no email explaining why but I will happily accept. The Giveback emails all indicate it would only be $75 so this was a surprise.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You are failing to consider the fact of your area for resale purposes of the device. I live in SoCal, the market is flooded every single year with phones from people upgrading, I actually come out ahead with the IUP. For about 5 years I purchased the phone at full price and sold one year later to never get more than 50% back. Now, I’m guaranteed 50%. This was before Swappa was really a thing, but even eBay before fees and Craigslist, breaking 50% after a year was almost impossible for my area.

4. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

Ok, but all he was saying is that he got the $200, a scam tends to affect everyone, not some, clearly not the case.

Without knowing exactly why they reduced the Op's price we will never truly know what happened in his/her case.

I come across so many things on Ebay for example that people have described 'as new' but it's a long way from even close to that. Bottom line, I am not saying the Op's description was not accurate, just that a lot of people seem to think 'as new' condition can have dents and scratches.

5. puma1552 macrumors 603

Unfortunately, the reality is there are numerous threads on this forum of people trading in their computers to Phobio (can't do Apple Giveback for Macs in store for some stupid reason), and Phobio claiming the hinges are busted, the cases are dented, etc. - there are quite a few threads here of Phobio coming back and saying the hinges are trashed or what have you. One damaged in shipping here and there, ok, but the supposed frequency is just too much. This is a suspicious company and to be honest, I'd expect much better/more reputable from Apple. Apple really needs to be made aware of the situation and cut ties and find someone else that is reputable, like Gazelle.

Glad you had a good experience, but I'd stay away from Phobio at all costs from what I've seen just in the last few months.

6. Plumber007, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018

Plumber007 macrumors member

Plumber007

I went the give back route and it all worked out fine except for a tiny bit of what i'd call shady. Rather than apply the $give back$ entirely to my credit card they saw fit to split it up between my credit card (small money) and reissuing a gift card i used in the purchase. yea, no thank you apple.

7. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

Was your trade in by Phobio or bright star? Bright star I’ve had an issue with in the past, Phobio I have not. Phobio was who I used for my Apple Watch trade in and they were quick and got my refund issued in a timely manner, and gave me what I was quoted too.

Bright Star is normally the one who issues the gift cards and I had an issue with them when trying to trade in my S0. Worked fine, traded it in and was re-quoted a value of $0 because it didn’t “power on” at the end of the day I couldn’t get a resolution and they claimed their techs are trained in inspecting and know what to look for. Please.

8. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Area has nothing to do with selling online. My iPhone X didn't sell to anyone in my area. You can ship to anywhere in the country. Like I said, the little bit of work I had to do to sell it was well worth the savings to me.

9. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

Doesn't "extra $100" mean you will at least get $100??? How do they account for giving you only $75?

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

“Up to” an extra 100.

11. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Walked into Apple store today, traded my sons 6s plus in and got $250 for it. Was base 16gb..used that 250 to purchase a new XR for him. Painless process.

12. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Always be very wary of any third party involvement. I had trouble the AT&T for two months regarding returned phone on next program which they lost.

Also be careful with new AppleCare+ with loss or theft. Loss or theft phone is replace by non Apple insurance. Once that happens it becomes question if Apple warranties replacement phone as it may be refurbished by third party as insurance replacements usually are.

13. Heat_Fan89 macrumors 6502

I had a similar situation happen to me several years ago when trading in a 1st generation Kindle Fire back to Amazon. It was in absolute mint condition, not a single scratch on the screen or body. I even cleaned the tablet, put it back in the original plastic sleeve it came with and I used the original box it was purchased with.

A couple of weeks passed by and I get an email stating that they had to do a price adjustment because the tablet condition did not match what they were expecting. So I asked for the product to be returned. When I received the box, they tossed my mint condition tablet inside a box with the charger and that was it.

Needless to say I was fuming that here, I took care of my stuff, was in absolute pristine condition and I even cleaned the tablet and put it in it's protective plastic sleeve that it was in when I originally purchased the item.

So I got in touch with Amazon and explained to them what happened and that I wasn't a happy camper. They said it was a third party company handling their trade-ins. Amazon apologized and decided to give me the original amount of the initial trade-in offer and did not want the tablet in return. So it worked out OK because I resent the tablet and got essentially got two refunds, (the original offer plus the adjusted lower offer).

That taught me a lesson and to this day, I refuse to send out electronics to a 3rd party company for a trade-in offer. I'd rather sell it locally or give it away to charity.

The OP might want to contact Apple and explained what happened to him/her.

14. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Third party’s quote cheapest to get contract. Hire lowest paid incompetent workers and then as matter of course cheat to lower costs. It’s how business typically works. Course owner or CEO of company gets paid real well. It’s way deals are made, just ask our deal maker in chief.

There is reason parent companies hire third parties to receive traded in items. Because using their own qualified people would cost too much. Sad really as it reflects poorly on parent company.

15. netdudeuk macrumors regular

Could I take my 6 Plus into a UK Apple store and trade it in straight away for credit to buy a new phone there and then ?

16. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

Just got an email from Apple saying my iPhone 6 trade-in was completed for $150 as initially estimated. I was afraid Phobio would undercut the estimate after having read so many negative comments in this forum. Fortunately, my full trade-in estimate value was honored by Apple/Phobio.

17. RLRabb macrumors member

Same for me.

18. jincheker macrumors newbie

jincheker

I returned my iPhone 6s with perfect condition. And got the $200 credit back about 1 week ago. But today Phobio sent me an email saying: "We received an ineligible item at our facility ..."

I have recorded video before sending my phone, since I saw complains from others. I will try to fight back.

Good luck to me and everyone!

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

But you already got the money, right? Seems like that was their acceptance of the device and essentially evaluation of its condition that warranted that amount of money that was already paid. Seems like a done deal at that point basically.

20. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

Yeah, I am a bit confused as well. Seems C DM is correct. If you already got $200 credit back, whatever Phobio says at this point is moot.

21. jincheker macrumors newbie

jincheker

I hope so. It showed up as transaction records on my credit card. Who knows, they can easily post a charge later to my credit card. We will see.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

If they somehow charge you without your authorization you can dispute the charge with your credit card company.

23. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

It seems Apple gave me a the trade-in value in two halves, which seems very odd. Rather than giving me one-time cc refund of $150, they gave me two installments of 1/2 refunds.

Did anyone else get their trade-in value in two installments?

24. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

That’s my understanding. Although I haven’t tried it. Maybe someone else from the UK can answer?

25. rjedoaks macrumors member

rjedoaks

Not two installments, but two separate refunds. iPhone 7 250.00. My statement shows a 175.00 and a 75.00 refund. I just figured Apple kicked in the 75.00.
    My issue was the tracking never worked. Kept receiving we have not received your phone. Then a [we have canceled your return]. Yesterday the promised return came through. It worked out, but kinda irritating