Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is giving many of its U.S. retail employees raises ranging from two percent to 10 percent depending on location, reports Bloomberg. Salespeople, Genius Bar support staff, and some senior hourly workers are being granted pay increases.

apple-employees-trio.jpg

Apple is said to be boosting the pay of its retail employees because of inflation, the difficult labor market, and staff complaints about working conditions amid the pandemic.

Pay increases were announced earlier this week during store briefings and individual meetings with employees, according to Bloomberg. Most of those receiving raises are employees who have worked at the company before 2020, and not all employees will be receiving a pay boost.

Not all stores have yet been notified of Apple's plans, but the raises are set to take effect starting in February and are separate from annual raises that are provided in October. Bloomberg spoke to two Apple employees who received a pay increase, with a salesperson receiving an extra $3 per hour to put them at $25 per hour, and a worker who handles repairs now receiving $24 per hour after a $3 per hour raise.

In addition to raises, Apple this week also told employees that it is introducing improved benefits. Apple now offers 12 paid sick days, up from six, and those days can be used for mental health leave, illnesses, or taking family members to the doctor.

The company also changed when employees are eligible for an increase in the number of vacation days they receive annually. Previously, Apple offered additional vacation days after five years of employment, but now additional vacation days are provided after three years. Part time employees are also now eligible for vacation days and up to six weeks of paid parental leave.

Article Link: Apple Giving Many U.S. Retail Employees Raises

Realityck

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
This pay raises seems to be Apple recognizing it's necessary to keep and attract retail workers per the Street article from Wednesday.
In an increasingly tight labor market, companies have no choice but to fight to attract staff. It is no longer enough to be a big name, a world-renowned brand to hope to hire easily.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
LOL some are only getting 2% from a company making hundreds of billions. Meanwhile basic foods have all gone up massively around the country. I saw a used Honda Civic selling for just under $40K. When I was in high school those were the junk cars that kids with hardly any money would drive. Everything is so crazy right now.

mariusignorello

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2013
LOL some are only getting 2% from a company making hundreds of billions. Meanwhile basic foods have all gone up massively around the country. I saw a used Honda Civic selling for $40K. Everything is so backwards right now.
It’s payback from industries that got hit hard during the lockdowns as well as people trying to make a quick buck. The market will adjust soon and a lot of people will be in deep trouble, zeroing out those gains. The delusion is worse than ‘08.

Juicy Box

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
Are these considered good employee benefits in the US? 12 sick days, six weeks parental leave and part time staff “now” entitled to annual leave? Man, it must suck to have a job in America.
It depends on the job, career, employer, etc., but the US is known to have a workaholic-workforce.

My father-in-law retired after working for 47 years, and he had over 3 years worth (6000+ hours) of unused sick-leave saved up when he retired.

He stayed retired for about a year, then went back to work part-time.

It had nothing to do with money, as he has plenty. He really liked his career, or didn't like spending time with my mother-in-law.... Or some combination of the two.

Last edited:

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68020
Mar 20, 2016
It depends on the job, career, employer, etc., but the US is known to have a workaholic-workforce.

My father-in-law retired after working for 47 years, and he had over 3 years worth (6000+ hours) of unused sick-leave saved up when he retired.

He stayed retired for about a year, then went back to work part-time.

It had nothing to do with money, as he has plenty. He really liked his career, or didn't like spending time with my mother-in-law.... Or some combination of the two.
There's nothing uniquely American about being a workaholic, or not wanting to hang out with your wife all day long day after day.

Nope, this is more about the American culture of "my freedom of choice to have almost no benefits compared to the rest of the western world."

Karma*Police

macrumors 68020
Jul 15, 2012
“Staff complaints about working conditions amid the pandemic”??? Two times I had an issue, and I was told to go to Best Buy because Apple was one of the few retailers that kept closing their stores, most recently because of the flu.. I mean, Omicron. Pretty ridiculous considering most other retailers remained open all year round.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Simply sharing some math and I don’t know how helpful it is. I was at apple in 2005 as a “keyholder” which was basically 2 levels down from store managers. We had a main, an assistant and then a key holder and I could still open and close the store.

Pay was $14 an hour.

Adjusted for inflation, that’s $20.15 an hour. So either they got me for cheap or Apple is paying retail people WAY more now than they did in 2005. Glassdoor says managers are around $95K and assistants around $75K so that would put a keyholder role (if it still existed) at around $55K or about $27 an hour.

Last edited:

nycd

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
Are these considered good employee benefits in the US? 12 sick days, six weeks parental leave and part time staff “now” entitled to annual leave? Man, it must suck to have a job in America.
As someone who lived both in Europe and the US - yes, that’s decent. It takes some getting used to not having 30 days of vacation time. The pay is decisively better though

Juicy Box

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2014
What industry gave him 16+ days of bankable sick pay a year?
A truck driver and special equipment operator for the Army.

He still does it now part-time, but I think he is considered a consultant or something like that, not an employee. They asked him to come back due to the younger workforce not knowing how to drive and operate some of the much older equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.