Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I’ll repost here what I posted a year ago to someone asking the same question and continues to hold true and what Apple is still trending towards:

You could do email and browse the web on a laptop perfectly fine, so why invent the iPhone?

It really doesn’t take a lot of imagination to see a future where a new version of the internet is overlaid on top of the real world, in real time. Where we connect with the real world rather than get lost in glass slabs. Where technology gets out of the way and augments your life, popping in with information and communication, rather than steal away your attention.

Just as Uber and Instagram couldn’t have been possible or even imagined without the iPhone, what applications are going to be invented for AR will only happen when there are millions of us walking around with AR glasses on our faces.

I can imagine a social media type network where your friends’ experiences would be shown to you as you walk the city. Walk by a restaurant and a little bubble can pop up showing your friend’s review, maybe a little video of a fun moment they had there.

An AR dating app might show you available singles around you who choose to broadcast themselves. You walk into a bar and you look at a cute girl with a heart over her head, read a little profile bio, slide through some photos, say you’re interested. Earlier, she had noticed you and also swiped you right. You’re a match. Oh yeah, let me go talk to her.

Information will be embedded in the real world with AR glasses.

We’re moving from a paradigm of information inside a box that you deliberately fetch to one where information is overlaid on top of the real world and feels natural there and shows up in contexts where it’ll be useful to you.

So...

mixed with

Reactions: Darth Tulhu

dammyonline

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2010
London
Everyone complains Apple doesn't innovate anymore, and then when we finally hear about something that's new and innovative and people complain that it'll be a flop. it's Apple... they don't do flops, think about it...
This isn’t innovative nor a new idea or concept ...google glass?

ncr100

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
ON PLANET
Maybe Steve wore them for years too, and we didn't notice that either.

Wish we could see Steve again ... perhaps through an, "I See Dead People" mode on Apple Glass?

$499 would be very inexpensive.

I assume it will be for Notifications, so you don't have to wear a Watch.

macos
ios
tvos
watchos
glassos ... reminds me of GlaDOS from Portal.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
What I don't get about this, is what exactly does it does better than the iPhone or the Watch?

Getting notifications directly on your field of vision, without having to see your phone or watch is the only advantage I can think of.
It will allow you down the road to be able to answer email without a phone out. Think of it. A display the size of your vision, that only you can see. Connected to a blue tooth keyboard, on a plane, typing away, no one can see what you’re working on. That’s why I want it. (I’ll wait for gen 3 too) and I’m already a glasses wearerer

Reactions: Detnator

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Saving this for future reference. Just like the “Apple Watch will be a flop” comments from 2015.

Nobody needs automatic memory management in System 7 / Mac OS. Just click Get Info and change the number yourself.
Apple will not make a video iPod.
iPhone will not have third party native applications. Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Web apps are sweet.
iPhone will not have copy and paste. Nobody needs copy and paste on iPhone.

Last edited:

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
It will allow you down the road to be able to answer email without a phone out. Think of it. A display the size of your vision, that only you can see. Connected to a blue tooth keyboard, on a plane, typing away, no one can see what you’re working on. That’s why I want it. (I’ll wait for gen 3 too) and I’m already a glasses wearerer

Is this really a possibility?
Maybe for quick messages, but for writing a document, it would have to block a large part of your vision.

If any company can make something useful from this is Apple.
Maybe when prices go down, many people who already use glasses might use this instead.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Still too soon. Don’t have the AR databases ready to go and image recognition still not good enough. But this is the future.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
What I don't get about this, is what exactly does it does better than the iPhone or the Watch?

Getting notifications directly on your field of vision, without having to see your phone or watch is the only advantage I can think of.

I'm not sure that being a slightly more convenient aWatch is that valuable!
More valuable is interaction with real visual items, the sort of thing that
- sucks on the phone (because holding it at camera angle makes the screen an uncomfortable angle)
- is impossible on the watch.

Examples (ie use cases, who knows what the optics+compute+battery life will offer in the first rev) could be things like
- translation
- convert units/currency
- magnify/increase contrast/provide light for hard to read things
- read/describe for the blind
- identify trees/flowers/animals
- identify things you want to buy ("what do you call this tool thing I am holding")
-shared experiences (your girlfriend visiting Japan can show you what she is seeing walking down the street)

Don't think "watch" or "phone" in the glasses! Think of use cases that exploit what the device is optimal for (what are you looking at, and it CAN KNOW what in the visual field you are looking at).

Maybe there's even scope here for both early detection of learning/visual disabilities, and training you to be more focussed, if the glasses can track where your eyes are darting around as you read a page (or try to understand an art work, or whatever)...?

Reactions: Murgatroyd314

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wish these were an addon for existing glasses, I don't mind even if they were a little bulky. I'm very curious where they are going with these. The AR stuff is neat, but I'd personally like to actually view my iphone screen on the glasses to be able to browse the internet, browse news, etc. without having to take my phone out.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Just because Google tried something and failed miserably doesn't mean Apple developing the first successful mainstream product in this medium isn't innovative.

As has been repeated a million times: There were MP3 players before iPod, smartphones before iPhone, tablets before iPad, and smartwatches before Apple Watch. Yet these were all innovative products.

Reactions: TJ82

QwirkyEngineer

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2020
I'm not saying they will or won't make it, or whether it will be a flop or not. But it will NOT be called Glass unless they give Google a bunch of money. Google's product may be considered a flop but they are STILL making "smart eyewear" called Google Glass.
If the product is real, it will be interesting to see the response from those who don't currently wear glasses. Since I wear them already, it's no big deal. But if I wasn't a person with glasses or contacts, I'm not sure I would be as willing to give it a try.

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I’ll repost here what I posted a year ago to someone asking the same question and continues to hold true and what Apple is still trending towards:

You could do email and browse the web on a laptop perfectly fine, so why invent the iPhone?

It really doesn’t take a lot of imagination to see a future where a new version of the internet is overlaid on top of the real world, in real time. Where we connect with the real world rather than get lost in glass slabs. Where technology gets out of the way and augments your life, popping in with information and communication, rather than steal away your attention.

Just as Uber and Instagram couldn’t have been possible or even imagined without the iPhone, what applications are going to be invented for AR will only happen when there are millions of us walking around with AR glasses on our faces.

I can imagine a social media type network where your friends’ experiences would be shown to you as you walk the city. Walk by a restaurant and a little bubble can pop up showing your friend’s review, maybe a little video of a fun moment they had there.

An AR dating app might show you available singles around you who choose to broadcast themselves. You walk into a bar and you look at a cute girl with a heart over her head, read a little profile bio, slide through some photos, say you’re interested. Earlier, she had noticed you and also swiped you right. You’re a match. Oh yeah, let me go talk to her.

Information will be embedded in the real world with AR glasses.

We’re moving from a paradigm of information inside a box that you deliberately fetch to one where information is overlaid on top of the real world and feels natural there and shows up in contexts where it’ll be useful to you.
I can’t ever imagining wanting to be on social media and seeing what happened there before. Is focus on the now while out with friends. Why would you want the internet in your life all the time. I just don’t get it. Sorry.

Reactions: QwirkyEngineer

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
Looks like the Apple subreddit keeps deleting Apple Glass articles. Apparently lots of places are triggered by this leak.

Edit: Never mind, it’s just getting mass downvoted because Reddit hates Jon.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Not sure I buy that. these are the same people that use Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter, all of those apps and websites that they claim mine their data. They probably still tell others to, "Google it".
Big difference between those things and having people pointing a hidden camera at you any time they look in your direction.

ConfusedChris

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
U.K.
“Introducing  Wear,
Seamless AR and VR experience throughout  Tiles,  Glasses,  Watch,  Audio, Siri 2.0,  Maps, and  Phone.”

(Just sprinkle in some “magical”s.)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I can’t ever imagining wanting to be on social media and seeing what happened there before. Is focus on the now while out with friends. Why would you want the internet in your life all the time. I just don’t get it. Sorry.

So, you've never seen your friends' and family's home videos or videos of them out enjoying themselves or funny videos? You've never read restaurant reviews?

I get that you and others here have made it clear that it takes a certain type of person to envision the possibilities of augmented reality and overlaying the next generation of the internet over the real world but come on... try a little harder to understand it if you're coming here to discuss it.

glowplug

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2017
Strong resemblance to Oliver Peoples. Or maybe they’ve just licensed the design?

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
Just because Google tried something and failed miserably doesn't mean Apple developing the first successful mainstream product in this medium isn't innovative.

As has been repeated a million times: There were MP3 players before iPod, smartphones before iPhone, tablets before iPad, and smartwatches before Apple Watch. Yet these were all innovative products.
Tell that to the people with the knee jerk reaction to touchscreen Macs.

Onelifenofear

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2019
London

Google glass was a bit of text, image or video overlaid in one static Position In relations to the viewer.

This is where Apple ARkit3 is on an iPhone. Proper Occulusion, gestures, Rock solid tracking.

The Glasses will be the missing peice of the puzzle and it just depends on how they cam make them look and work. Cos no one wants Magic Leap or Hololens strapped to their Face.

Reactions: Yvan256
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.