Apple grabbing thief

Discussion in 'iPad' started by XieoBebe, Apr 18, 2011.

1. XieoBebe macrumors member

Today a thief was brazen enough to dash into a coffee shop to grab a customer's MacBook. The girl held on as long as she could before she had to let go. The coffee shop clerk saw what happened and gave chase. Fortunately a police and a bystander were nearby to help out but not before the jerk punched the clerk and the guy. Well, to cut it short, the scumbag was apprehended.
    Link: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27587673/detail.html

If a thief is brazen enough to grab an Apple laptop just like that, wouldn't it be much easier to grab an iPad? And this suddenly made me think twice about setting down my iPad on the table to enjoy in a cafe. Will any of you have second thoughts, too? Btw, kudos to the coffee shop clerk.

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^^ love it! I love when scumbags get caught!

Good story! It's nice to know there are still random citizens who help out eachother.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Who wouldn't help out in that situation? It's just an open invitation to tackle and beat down some jerk.

4. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

This made my day!

I can sympathize as my iPhone 3gs was stolen from me a couple years ago, thief was never apprehended.

But I'm always uberhappy when an iDevice thief is foiled and/or apprehended.

5. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

while you, myself and the clerk would jump in at the opportunity, i'm quite sure he wasn't the only bystanderd in the shop. What i'm saying is, that whole place should have been pouncing on the guy!

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Probably only 1 in 10 people would bother to help out, it's a sad reality but it's true.

BTW this is my 200th post :D:apple:

7. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Be much more interesting in conceal and carry states. :)

8. Smoothness macrumors regular

this woulda been a great story if the ninja would have punched all those people and still got away.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I don't think I'd risk getting stabbed or shot over someone's else's iDevice (I wouldn't risk that over my own either). You never know what someone is capable of, especially a criminal who is about to be cornered (you know what they say about cornered rats...)

10. Riggaz macrumors newbie

in this litigious society i wouldn't touch the bloke. All you need is to hit the guy too hard, or push him over and he breaks a bone or something and then suddenly you go from hero to standing in court being sued by the thief

This has happened to both my brother and a good friend and both were hit with over $10k fines plus lawyer fees

not worth it, and it makes me sick

(although im in Australia, so law might be different where you guys are from)

11. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    What's a conceal and carry state?

12. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Being allowed to carry a gun out of site.

Basically, if this happened in the deep south the guy would have been shot, everyone would have fired into the air in celebration and they would have all danced in the mid-day sun. Picture this-

[​IMG]

True story.

13. Godzirra macrumors 6502

Somewhere on Salisbury plain, and Apple, UK
    Gotcha :)

14. mac jones macrumors 68040

Those people who gave chase are nutz.

NEVER do that. Let them have it. The police will tell you this and it's true.
    They are lucky this creep didn't have a gun on him. If a creep is resorting to this type of thing......

If he came in with a gun, no one would have done anything, but he didn't so they ASSSUMED he didn't have one.

15. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I will ALWAYS go after the bad guy.

If they have a gun to me...i'll back down for then. But eventually they have to turn or look the other way. I highly doubt someone is going to carry a gun or a knife in one hand while trying to swipe a computer. They're trying to make a quick get away. Holding extra stuff will not allow for this. :) Badguy with my electronics= bad guy on the ground with a knee to his face!

May help that i carry at all times!

16. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

No it wouldn't. You attempt to fire on an unarmed thief not attempting to cause you personal harm with intent to maim or kill, and you'll be the one in prison for murder or attempted murder.

17. navt macrumors newbie

I'm a PC

They were probably PC :)!

18. wpotere Guest

That's pretty tough talk... However, by the time you figured out he had a gun it could be too late. Mac != your life

And yes, they do carry guns from time to time on grabs like this and holding a Macbook while firing a gun wouldn't be that hard.

19. GeekPill macrumors member

This is another reason for mantraps to be made legal. Someone steal stuff of yours. It takes their hands off or kills them.

Why should someones that works hard and long to get money to buy nice stuff lose out because some ****** wants it and steals it.

The law should be changed so if someone steals from you, you decide on what the punishment should be. (Like the Star Trek ep)

20. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I'm in Australia too- most countries consider pushing/punching the thief as self defence no matter how badly you hurt them. But in Australia thief's seem to have more rights then the victims.

21. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

Hardly, ccw holders are trained to avoid situations like chasing an idevice thief.

22. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

When people write true story it means it isn't. Welcome to the internet!

I'm sure Americans don't really think my country is a mix of cocky street urchins and men in top hats sipping tea.

23. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The funny thing is most probably do think that.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Last time I was over I was disappointed that it wasn't. :D

25. Hobbes. macrumors regular

Welcome to Atlanta :(

I've seen so many messed up things since i've moved here. Love the city but the news is usually a nightmare to watch. Glad this SOB got caught. That employee deserves a raise.