Apple Has Already Reached 10 Million iPhone Sales in 2008?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Seeking Alpha summarizes findings by MacObserver forum members who have been compiling iPhone IMEI numbers into a public spreadsheet.

According to those numbers, it appears that Apple may have already reached 10 million iPhone sales for 2008. According to the sequential Type Allocation Codes (TAC), Apple has reached 9.2 million iPhone 3Gs manufactured. When combined with the sales figures 2.4 million 1st generation iPhones sold earlier this year, it brings them well above the 10 million mark even if over a million 3G iPhones remain in the sales channel.

SeekingAlpha notes there are a few assumptions that may introduce some error into these estimates:
The actual number of handsets sold versus manufactured depends on a variety of factors including the amount of inventory Apple carries in its retail chain, defects that were destroyed, defects that were sold and then exchanged, display models etc.
A goal of 10 million iPhone sales in 2008 has been Apple's stated goal when first announced the iPhone in January 2007.

Article Link

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Wether or not they reached the 10 million mark, thats still pretty damn impressive! I didn't know that the so many more 3gs have been made compared to the first generation.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
congrats. i do think sales will be drying up soon due to economy and being tied to 1 carrier in some countries.

Andrew Danks

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2006
Canada
Steve Ballmer said:
Right now we're selling millions and millions and millions of phones per year. Apple's selling zero phones per year. In six months they will have the most expensive phone, by far, ever in the market place. (Youtube video)
Take that Ballmer.

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
It really pisses me off as a shareholder that the stock is tanking. We are going to beat the 10 million estimate by a good number. I spoke with Apple Store employees over the weekend at 3 different stores in the area. They said they still sell out daily of iPhones and haven't noticed any decrease in mac sales. Keep in mind these stores were so packed I had a hard time flagging down a salesman.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
What about the people who are on their 2nd or 3rd phone? They would count for iPhones manufactured, but not necessarily sold. This is assuming they did not receive refurbs, but new phones.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Of course it will sell! Even in Turkish Republic it sold 150.000 in first week. (that is not an exact number but the stores sold out and the official number for the first day is 71.000) I am still waiting for Apple to see the potential in Turkey and give up with the resellers in Turkey and get here with a "real" Apple Store! Would be really awesome to get get Mac "not" twice as much in the price. And "not" to get the updates 6 months later!(hardware updates)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
It really pisses me off as a shareholder that the stock is tanking. We are going to beat the 10 million estimate by a good number. I
They're a maker of luxury goods in a recession. High margin luxury good are generally the first to get hit.

I remember when the 10M was announced as a target, people just didn't think it possible (see Ballmer quote above).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It really pisses me off as a shareholder that the stock is tanking. We are going to beat the 10 million estimate by a good number. I spoke with Apple Store employees over the weekend at 3 different stores in the area. They said they still sell out daily of iPhones and haven't noticed any decrease in mac sales. Keep in mind these stores were so packed I had a hard time flagging down a salesman.
Join the crowd. Apple's financials this month will probably set another record, but that won't matter in this terrible economy.

tmornini

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Francisco
Take that Ballmer.
:)

It's really weird, because there's no question that he's smart, but he appears to be caught up in his own past and unable to learn new tricks.

He recently said that iPhone would eventually fail because people would want choice in hardware, i.e. they'd want to replicate the history of DOS and Windows.

But, he said the same thing about iPods: they'd fail because people would want choice in hardware.

What he fails to see is the value of the Dock Connector. That little thing has a HAMMER LOCK at the hardware level that nobody is discussing: Want to switch from iPod to other music player or music phone? Say goodbye to your car adapter, charging stations, audio system adapter, alarm clock, portable speaker system, etc.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Join the crowd. Apple's financials this month will probably set another record, but that won't matter in this terrible economy.
Apple didn't affected that much from the economy. (compared to other companies it's nothing i think)

Rlkv011

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
They're a maker of luxury goods in a recession. High margin luxury good are generally the first to get hit.

I remember when the 10M was announced as a target, people just didn't think it possible (see Ballmer quote above).
Didn't seem to bother all the people forking over cash for ipods and macs. Kids with disposable incomes are still going to by ipods and macs not matter what. I am still going to buy a macbook pro the day it comes out. Hopefully this brick manufacturing process will allow apple to sell computers at a lower price while maintaining margins.

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Didn't seem to bother all the people forking over cash for ipods and macs. Kids with disposable incomes are still going to by ipods and macs not matter what. I am still going to buy a macbook pro the day it comes out. Hopefully this brick manufacturing process will allow apple to sell computers at a lower price while maintaining margins.
i think this is what's keeping Apple alive. Without us fanboys they wouldn't be a worldwide company. Actually they might even ended their life. No matter what happens we buy it. A new iPhone, ok, a new mac, ok. but that's Steve Jobs's success.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Didn't seem to bother all the people forking over cash for ipods and macs. Kids with disposable incomes are still going to by ipods and macs not matter what.
The recession has yet to hit full swing. Just wait. People have battened down the hatches.

Those kids with dsposable income will be hit when mom and dad's bank goes under.

I know it's depressing but it's the reality right now.

I am still going to buy a macbook pro the day it comes out. Hopefully this brick manufacturing process will allow apple to sell computers at a lower price while maintaining margins.
I hope that too (more for the product than the margins - different perspective).

Even in these poor economic times there's still people like you and I willing to pay for new hardware.

Remember Apple could spring a game-changer in the form of a tablet based on the Atom platform running touch enabled Mac OSX. Same kinda money as the EEE pc, much more desirable. Time will tell.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Brookyln
I'm assuming Apple will make an official announcement once 10million sales are reached, since it was a much-publicized goal? I'm sure they'll definitely do it if it's early, too -- and not at the end of the year (although getting close!).

I DO hope Apple makes some improvements to their current phones and/or better models next year. I'm pretty happy with mine, but I know a LOT of people who bought the 3G and are always bitching/complaining about -- and I know of at least two friends who gave up and got different phones. I don't quite get it, because even with all the iPhone's faults/shortcomings, it's STILL the best phone out there. But people who buy it want it to be flawless, or have everything that any other phone does -- and when it doesn't, they'd rather choose a phone that's maybe not as good (overall), just so they're not frustrated when the iPhone doesn't perform up to expectations. It's flawed reasoning, I know -- but I'm shocked at just how many people go with this line of thinking...

alexdarby

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Charlotte
Great Job Apple!

I think it's great that Apple is still doing so well even though the economy is going under....10 million iPhones is a lot and they are still selling like crazy. I don't think Apple will be too affected by the whole economy issue going on right now. They have plenty of money saved up to continue development and bringing out great new products. I own a few shares of Apple stock (16) and I am honestly looking at these low prices as an opportunity to buy low and sell high. It will come back up eventually.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple was also trading at a pretty high multiple already...
Not so high, really. The multiple accurately reflected EPS growth. The market is now saying that the company's profit growth rate will be less than half of what it was. I doubt very much that it will be reduced anywhere close to that much, but the markets are scared silly right now and it could be years before any degree of confidence returns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.