Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Of course this could just be because Apple realizes that every man and his dog is about to release a smartwatch and doesn't want anyone calling theirs an iWatch; they could just be protecting the i-brand rather than intending to use the name themselves on an actual product.

Last edited:

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I've said it before and ill say it again.

Apple is playing a game on this one!

Apple want to keep everyone thinking they are making a watch when really they just want to see Samsung and google waste money on a product like a smart watch that will never work.

Watches are not tech, they are jewellery plain and simple. Yes it's a massive market but even thinking about features a watch could have that a phone etc could not have, I'm left cold with the idea.

The watch is in apples remit but its the one area that is very well established as a market and tech watches always sell badly no matter how well designed or featured they are. I know the same was said about tablets but I can't help but feel its different as tablets were purely a tech market this is a jewellery market.

Anyone else thinking an iwatch would be a massive error in judgement when apple actually need to just revolutionise the TV market or go deep into developing battery tech or anything else but this.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Of course this could just be because Apple realizes that every man and his dog is about to release a smartwatch and doesn't want anyone calling theirs an iWatch; they could just be protecting the i-brand rather than intending to use the name themselves on an actual product.

THis!

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013

Good thinking. I'll bet they're still kicking themselves over iHome.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
So this iWatch could be the total and complete interface for ie your iPhone; hardly any need to get it out in the open anymore. No more fumbling trying to retrieve your iDevice from pocket or purse, while out and about. Practically hands-free. Neat!

I'm warming up to this idea.

Its interesting you say this, I happen to think your right and if so, what does this say about the less used iPhone? Does it fundamentally change the form factor and or functionality?

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I can imagine them using it for Passbook, so you don't have to get the phone out every time. That would require Passbook to take off though, here in the UK it still is completely useless.
The hardest part will be to find a design people will like as a watch is always visible.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip... Watches are not tech, they are jewellery plain and simple. Yes it's a massive market but even thinking about features a watch could have that a phone etc could not have, I'm left cold with the idea. ...
There were probably a lot of new consumer items that left you cold that sold well.

This is why your destined to work for a living. No vision.

----------

I'm still trying to wrap my mind about having a smart watch. What would I do with it that I can't all ready do?
Why is your mind so boggled? The concept is not that difficult.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
I've said it before and ill say it again.

Apple is playing a game on this one!

Apple want to keep everyone thinking they are making a watch when really they just want to see Samsung and google waste money on a product like a smart watch that will never work.

Watches are not tech, they are jewellery plain and simple. Yes it's a massive market but even thinking about features a watch could have that a phone etc could not have, I'm left cold with the idea.

The watch is in apples remit but its the one area that is very well established as a market and tech watches always sell badly no matter how well designed or featured they are. I know the same was said about tablets but I can't help but feel its different as tablets were purely a tech market this is a jewellery market.

Anyone else thinking an iwatch would be a massive error in judgement when apple actually need to just revolutionise the TV market or go deep into developing battery tech or anything else but this.

I dont know, I think you need to keep an open mind on this one and think out of the box. Don't think of it replacing a phone or even much phone interface, think more of receiving data:

Start with biometric applications, thats a big upside right there.
Customizable Notifications in vibrations, texts or tones
Mapping and navigation
Some more advanced form of texting

I don't know, I'm going to reserve opinion until I actually use one myself, I'm really 50/50 on the idea, but 90% of my communications are text and I frequently pick up my phone to see status that I would rather see on a watch like device.

----------

Good thinking. I'll bet they're still kicking themselves over iHome.

No way Google or Samsung will release a watch before Apple, impossible. They have no choice but to wait for an Apple release, benchmark it, then try to quickly design some leapfrog features before Apple gains to much market share.

But my guess it will mostly appeal only to Apple ecosystem users anyhow due to its presumed high level of integration with all IOS devices.

----------

Why do we assume it's an extension to your iPhone? What if you don't own one, are you totally shut out then?

----------

Apple i'M Late!

That should be the plan, at least thats what I would do.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Its like dejavu all over again. Just like when apple registered the name ipad in japan also I think.
Can't wait for this gadget to come out!!

The killer feature : a month battery life :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
But Apple doesn't come up with a great new something and then try to convince you that you need it.

It makes something that solves various problems so smoothly that you don't know how no one didn't think of this before.

And it does it so easily that there is obviously no innovation involved. Once the copying starts, that's where the innovation comes in - adding useless stuff, that's innovation.

(Actually, Samsung has done something really innovative, at least according to their UK adverts. The sound coming from headphones on their phones is really awful and tinny. Unplug the headphones, and the sound gets a lot better. Then run some software that plays the music on six phones, and it's absolutely massive, like a high end HiFi system. Even better, you leave these six phones in a changing room, everyone runs out, and the sound follows them! It works even when you don't have the phones with you anymore! THAT's innovation! )

----------

I only use Rolex.

I prefer watches with quality and style.

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I can imagine them using it for Passbook, so you don't have to get the phone out every time. That would require Passbook to take off though, here in the UK it still is completely useless.

Easyjet and BA are both now using it for boarding passes. There's not much
obvious advantage over in-app barcodes, though, apart from date ordering.

The hardest part will be to find a design people will like as a watch is always visible.

Yes, a single design would probably not have mass appeal. Different designs will sell to different market segments, however. This does go against Apple's minimal design philosophy, of course, but may be the only way to break into this market. iPhones are different because they can be personalised using
cases.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Don't Understand

Just don't understand why Apple is devoting so many resources to this. How many people are "screaming" for an "iWatch?" Doesn't this already exist with just a Nano and a wristband?

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Maybe iOS7 was redesigned with the iWatch in mind.

I can totally see it being a companion device that can show you all sorts of info without having to look at your other iDevice. The new 'today' section in notification center fits quite well with the iWatch.

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
So this iWatch could be the total and complete interface for ie your iPhone; hardly any need to get it out in the open anymore. No more fumbling trying to retrieve your iDevice from pocket or purse, while out and about. Practically hands-free. Neat!

I'm warming up to this idea.

Just how many of the authors of the 900k+ apps on the AppStore are going to be happy with you never having to remove your iDevice from your pocket or purse. I'm sure we'll see some device of this form factor, but I don't think Apple wants you to put you iphone away.

smyross

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
"iWatch" Trdemarke

Apple "iWatch" is a trademarked in Russia and Jamaica. The name “iWatch” is owned by San Jose.
Featured.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.