Apple Has Certified Key Suppliers of 2018 iPhones as Volume Production Set to Begin

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has successfully completed certification of key component suppliers for its widely rumored trio of 2018 iPhones, expected to be announced in September, according to Taiwanese publication Economic Daily News.

[​IMG]
    2018 iPhone imitation models via Marques Brownlee/MKBHD

The report claims that these suppliers have begun shipping large quantities of camera lenses, metal chassis, and other components to larger manufacturers, including Foxconn, which is expected to assemble the majority of 2018 iPhones, according to Taiwanese research firm Fubon Securities.

In particular, Fubon Securities said Foxconn will assemble every second-generation iPhone X, 90 percent of units for the so-called iPhone X Plus, and 75 percent of units for an all-new, lower-priced 6.1-inch iPhone. Taiwanese manufacturer Pegatron is said to fulfill all of the remaining orders.

While the supply chain is clearly gearing up for 2018 iPhones, it's unclear when volume production of fully-assembled devices will begin. Foxconn recently began its seasonal hiring spree in preparation.

Foxconn typically ramps up manufacturing of new iPhones over the summer, for release in September, but last year was somewhat of an anomaly. While the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus launched in September, the iPhone X was delayed until November 3, reportedly due to TrueDepth sensor-related manufacturing challenges.

Back in June, oft-reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said all three 2018 iPhones will be both announced and available to order this September, but Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty recently cautioned that the 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD may not launch until October due to possible issues with backlight leakage.

Of course, the 6.1-inch iPhone could end up being available to order in September with a 4-6 week shipping estimate.

As far as pricing is concerned, Kuo expects the second-generation iPhone X to start at $799 to $899, the so-called iPhone X Plus to start at $899 to $999, and the 6.1-inch iPhone with an LCD to start at $599 to $699.

If those price points prove to be accurate, we suspect the second-generation iPhone X would start at $899, with the iPhone X Plus taking over the $999 price point, and the 6.1-inch model serving as somewhat of a budget iPhone X with a $699 price tag -- all, of course, based on base storage capacities.

Apple's usual September event will likely take place in almost exactly a month, so there isn't much longer until we know for certain.

Article Link: Apple Has Certified Key Suppliers of 2018 iPhones as Volume Production Set to Begin

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

iPhone X plus needs split screen multitasking. Come on Apple.

3. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Would be nice to see the “low cost” at 599 however I think you are right we will see it at $699 with lower base storage than the other two.

4. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Well no surprises coming in Sept for iPhone. Leaks are right on par with the usual time line. No rumored new iPad Pro leaks yet. I doubt we will see a new iPad along side iPhone this fall.

5. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

So looking forward to this. I hope to get the largest one.

6. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

7. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I'm still not a fan of that notch. I'm happy with my 8 and will wait till they figure out another way to implement their facial scanning. No memojies for me for a while....

8. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Good to hear. I am eyeing the X Plus. Looking forward to it.

9. GuruZac macrumors 6502

GuruZac

Assuming the proposed 6.1" budget model has 3GB RAM and the A12 processor, and only lacking dual camera and OLED, for $200 less, that may be a great option. I have no complaints with my 7 Plus screen so the 6.1 would be an upgrade. The only thing I would miss would be Portrait Mode which I do use most of the time I take pics.

10. jml1982 macrumors newbie

jml1982

Yes it does. It's ridiculous that the plus models now don't have it, or at least PIP for video...

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Plus for me, with the usual Apple replacement of the $ sign for the £ sign over here in the UK.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Well the notch is suppose to be smaller, and the size of the Plus version might make it even less intrusive. If that's the case, I'll get one.

13. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Cue the impending rumors about some key component being in short supply or having some kind of manufacturing issue, likely resulting in a shortage of new iPhones at launch. Must get the same old, same old frenzy stirred up. It's worked every single time through every generational release.

Magically though, by the end of the launch quarter, everyone that urgently wants one will have been able to get one (because the reality of maximizing rev & profits trumps the illusion of the shortages implied by a well-proven marketing formula).

See everyone at 3am! ;)

14. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

There are times in landscape mode that I have wished for split screen on my iPhone X.

At first, I hated the notch, now I like it. Separates the information at the top.

PIP for video would be great.

15. Goner259er Suspended

Yep I’m going with the plus model as well

16. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

I'm with you on that, XS Plus in Gold, won't settle for anything less

17. Goner259er Suspended

I’m hoping for maybe a blue. If not I’ll stick with silver

18. m0sher, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018

m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

So the LCD displays being supplied by LG have back light bleed issues before production is not a good sign. Sort of what I was afraid of when I first heard the news Apple was going with LG displays for the less expensive version.

Apple has pretty good quality control. I’m sure they will be inspecting all those LG panels so I’m sure before production this will get ironed out or at least they will weed out the bad ones from production. Let’s hope.

19. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

20. the johnmc macrumors regular

the johnmc

I really hope they kill off the iterative numbering scheme.

21. MacBird macrumors 6502a

I wonder if people who got an iPhone X through the IUP program, will have to wait until November if the new iPhone is being released earlier.

22. alpi123 macrumors 6502

alpi123

Really looking forward to upgrading my 6s with X Plus.

23. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I can see the iPhone X Plus potentially having split screen multitasking, if the screen ends up being in the neighborhood of the rumored 6.5". If iPad mini at 7.9" has split screen multitasking, I think this is a reasonable request. I'm unsure how utilitarian this would actually be, as this leaves 3.25" per each multitasked app, which is smaller than the original iPhone screen at 3.5". PIP videos seems more useful.

I don't see the "entry level" iPhone dipping below $699, since that was the starting price of the iPhone 8. If the SE is killed off, perhaps it could dip below $699, but that seems un-Apple to me.

24. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

25. Agit21 macrumors regular

You’ll miss out on the Promotion Display and this will be huge.