Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
I hope it never comes to older devices simply because I don't want to wait ten minutes for Siri to respond every time because all the new i4 users are asking her what she's wearing. Apple's servers can barely handle what they have now, let alone what they would be dealing with if they rolled it out to older devices.

Yes, because Apple, with their huge profits, can't afford to buy more servers to cope with more devices...

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
No one knows even how many servers are running the Siri beta.

You would beta test in a large part to learn how the servers scale and adjust accordingly.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
"Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices. "

Just like custom backgrounds only work with iPhone 3GS? :D:apple:

I understand that they want Siri to be 4S-only, but don't play the hardware-card when there was a Siri-app before 4S, please. :D:apple:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Make sense. Even though it all done over the air, if you can milk your loyal customers, then do it. Frankly, no one would bother to get the 4S if it just had a slightly improved camera, and an A5.

This is, unfortunately, true. They needed a killer feature BADLY, and Siri's it. It's actually a very ingenious way to keep its other products from cannibalizing iPhone 4S sales.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What!!!!!

You mean Apple are artificially locking out a 'software' feature of older devices in order to drive sales of new hardware ? Wow, I've never ever heard of Apple doing that before...... ;)

It is annoying though for existing owners with more than capable hardware. :eek:

Hey Ho, does Vlingo work on older devices ?

sirxavier

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The server load argument obviously doesn't hold up. But to remove all doubt....

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/11/how-data-heavy-is-siri-on-an-iphone-4s-ars-investigates.ars

Seems that average data usage per request is less than half that of a digital picture taken with the iPhone.... In some cases even much less (rta). How can server load would be a problem with Siri being available in older devices if apple is backing up hundreds or even thousands of your pictures with the stream for all iOS devices(3GS, 4, touches, iPads) and distributing them between them and even to your macs. Remember Siri uses much less data per request than 1 picture and and is single use. It is obvious that server load was not the issue.... Likewise you can easily prove that the Siri app can run on older devices as evidenced by the hack and the previous app available on the store..

I like my Mac and my iOS devices but I know when apple is feeding me crap and I won't buy it. :p

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The server load argument obviously doesn't hold up. But to remove all doubt....

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-is-siri-on-an-iphone-4s-ars-investigates.ars

Seems that average data usage per request is less than half that of a digital picture taken with the iPhone.... In some cases even much less (rta). How can server load would be a problem with Siri being available in older devices if apple is backing up hundreds or even thousands of your pictures with the stream for all iOS devices(3GS, 4, touches, iPads) and distributing them between them and even to your macs. Remember Siri uses much less data per request than 1 picture and and is single use. It is obvious that server load was not the issue.... Likewise you can easily prove that the Siri app can run on older devices as evidenced by the hack and the previous app available on the store..

I like my Mac and my iOS devices but I know when apple is feeding me crap and I won't buy it. :p

Data transfered or received has nothing to do with how complex the computations or heuristics are on the server farm answering the requests.
Ars doesn't have data on that type of server load, only Apple / Siri development team has that knowledge so others can only speculate.

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Forget any hope of Siri on older devices. Siri is a huge selling point right now. Go into any Apple store and just listen to people talking to Siri and commenting on it.. these are all people who have never spoken a command to their phone in their life and now they're trying out Siri and thinking 'Oooo'. Apple are not about to abandon that sales pitch. It's what makes the 4S unique.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I find it interesting that so many people are claiming Apple has been giving BS excuses. As I recall, Apple simply said it was a 4S exclusive with no information on why. I don't know why people are trying to debunk the rumours and act as if Apple had said it.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Much ado about nothing.

Since when are new features announced through bug report email correspondences? Besides "currently" does not equal "never".

Exactly! Like a bug report reply is in any way authoritative. This provides no information one way or the other, making the headline for this article rather ridiculous imo.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Exciting news for those of us who hold extremely large amounts of Apple stock. Now the people who want Siri are forced into buying a new phone.

I strongly disagree with this tactic, but it's typical Apple. They've even got their masses of worshipers to justify it to others.

Force feeding OS X 10.7 on the customers who buy new computers is but another example of what Jobs made fashionable.

Apple.. Ya gotta love em :)

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well duh! It makes no sense to do that.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
There are two simple reasons Siri isn't available on the 4 - at least right now.

1. "Encouraging" people to upgrade
2. Server load.

Both are pretty obvious. #2 is apparent from all the issues people have had trying to connect/slow responsiveness.

And that's just the 4S users. Now figure out what would happen if Apple unleashed Siri's servers to 4 users too.

JimAtLaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Bay Area, CA
The iPad 2 is a current product, not an "older" product, with more processing power than the 4S, not less - withholding it as a feature, even for extra money, on the current platform is bad form.

Of course, given that their OS "upgrade" made my iPhone 3G so slow as to be almost useless after less than 2 years, and at less than 3 years, the phone would no longer even run the latest OS at all (goodbye security!), I guess I shouldn't be surprised - Apple's planned obsolescence timetable appears to be speeding up, now devices released only a few months ago will not support the latest software, you will need to buy new hardware every 6 months.

They will extract the last dollar from the fanfolk.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I find it so disappointing that they make these sorts of (sometimes understandable) decisions. For technical reasons perhaps the iPhone4 would be pushing it, and they expect excellence, but no support on the iPad2, why? Is the microphone that bad? Surely that's not the case.

I know they perhaps just want to sell more 4s, but, I am not going to buy a phone over siri, after all, there's nothing wrong with their awesome touch interface and the many apps to help me what I need to get done.

And I let Apple be most of the time. But I find this simply put: disappointing.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
" Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices."

Not entirely accurate. It's even been shown to work on a 3GS.

Support older devices and hack to make work unofficially on older devices are two totally different things.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
I bought the 4S only because our company gets a large discount with Sprint's network. To be completely honest, there's hardly any difference with the iPhone 4 camera and the iPhone 4S. The A5 processor is barely any faster. I don't see where they are getting this zero shutter lag stuff... Sure, the first couple of photos are quick, but then it starts to slow down. Siri is cool I don't see using it all the time. You might as well send a text message by manually typing it in because half the time, Siri gets the words wrong. If you're thinking about upgrading to the 4S, don't. Wait for the iPhone 5.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Support older devices and hack to make work unofficially on older devices are two totally different things.

Apple is using marketingspeak.

Siri does work on older devices. Apple is specifically choosing to not enable it.

Yes - Apple is telling the truth in terms of how they have differentiated the 4S. They are not telling the "truth" in terms of possibility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.