Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Doesn't matter if they had agreements in place, they are ponying up cash to Apple either way.

My original post still stands, have a read of it some time.

You guys are forgetting one important detail, just because Nortel had the patents doesn't mean they licensed them out. If they didn't then everyone is probably going to have to pay up.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Come one - Zynga a presenter at WWDC - need I say more. "You now get push notification, when your crops are ready to harvest!" Great. Can't live without it!

I don't get the games either, but a lot of people apparently do. Did you miss Zynga aiming for a $1 billion (that's US billions btw) IPO, for a valuation of $15-$20 billion.

Know another company who had a $20 billion valuation 7 years ago? Try Google.

Maybe if European companies (ie Nokia) had taken this things more seriously instead of pissing away money on the latest Web 2.0 lunacies, the MWC in Barcelona would be more interesting. But of course there's always the paella. Umm.

Last edited:

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Sadly in America we don't have off on Fridays to stay home and battery condition battery-sapping LTE phones. We're too busy inventing things and saving the world from dictators.
Rather humbling to remember how all these dictators we've "saved" the rest of the world from were previously on our payrolls, eh cmaier?

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Actually quite the same as ever. Or to paraphrase your post...

Apple Fanbois: Have you ever considered reading coverage about the Mobile World Conference in Barcelona? You know, the one that Apple so happily dismisses. The one were all major players on the planet show real smartphones and not some stylish AngryBirds stuff. Come one - Zynga a presenter at WWDC - need I say more. "You now get push notification, when your crops are ready to harvest!" Great. Can't live without it!

Americans: Have you ever considered that the world couldn't laugh as hard as it should when your majesty Steve Jobs went on stage and said EDGE is sufficient? FWIW there ARE LTE phones out there. Just not in the US, as being a mobile carrier in the US must be a real PITA. Only country worse will be Australia or Canada. Lots of white spots on the map.

"My Apple product XYZ is the sexiest thing on earth"-crowd: Yeah. Go for it, fashion victim.

Yes you are correct, the U.S. is way behind in cell technology and a few other areas. However, I think the U.S. is one of the largest markets so they design a phone round that. Could you imagine if the first iPhone in 2007 was released with LTE. Almost everyone in the U.S. would be like what is that and the rest would be like wait, I can use it yet since no one here supports LTE yet. Apple is based in the U.S. so they are going to design products for us U.S. people :)

By the way what is a REAL SMARTPHONE?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Apple Fanbois: Have you ever considered reading coverage about the Mobile World Conference in Barcelona? You know, the one that Apple so happily dismisses. The one were all major players on the planet show real smartphones

The 800-pound gorilla in the room is the one that's never there: Apple.

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-isnt-at-mwc-but-apple-is-everywhere-at-mwc/

This one is interesting:

http://news.oneindia.in/2011/02/17/tech-mwc-2011-best-mobile-award-apple-iphone-aid0102.html

http://www.i4u.com/45390/apples-spectre-looms-large-mwc-2011

It's Apple's show. Even in absentia.

That's about as "real" as you can get. Apple doesn't actually need to be there to get all the play.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Yes you are correct, the U.S. is way behind in cell technology and a few other areas. However, I think the U.S. is one of the largest markets so they design a phone round that. Could you imagine if the first iPhone in 2007 was released with LTE. Almost everyone in the U.S. would be like what is that and the rest would be like wait, I can use it yet since no one here supports LTE yet. Apple is based in the U.S. so they are going to design products for us U.S. people :)

He's just trolling, or lying which is worse. There was no LTE in Europe in 2007.

The first commercial LTE network in Europe was in Stockholm and Oslo only at the very end of 2009 (two weeks away from 2010), and for data dongles only. The second commercial implementation is just launching in Germany now, and the first handsets are coming out. So the US is actually already ahead on this.

What the Europeans thought was strange was no 3G (which is not LTE) on the first iPhone. But that was justified because commercial 3G chipsets were rare at the time and the 3G phones around had to be tailored - cutting down on features - for low power consumption.

Apple wanted to take a general computing platform and put it on a phone, but technology then would only give them 3-4 hours of the battery.

kdarling

macrumors P6
He's just trolling, or lying which is worse. There was no LTE in Europe in 2007.

Or he's just mistaken. There's no reason to call names.

The first commercial LTE network in Europe was in Stockholm and Oslo only at the very end of 2009 (two weeks away from 2010), and for data dongles only. The second commercial implementation is just launching in Germany now, and the first handsets are coming out. So the US is actually already ahead on this.

This is correct. LTE covers 1/3 of the US population right now. It'll be another three years before LTE covers even 1/12 of Europe's.

What the Europeans thought was strange was no 3G (which is not LTE) on the first iPhone. But that was justified because commercial 3G chipsets were rare at the time and the 3G phones around had to be tailored - cutting down on features - for low power consumption.

When the iPhone came out, virtually every other smartphone in the US and the world had 3G. Moreover, some countries like the UK had almost no EDGE coverage since they had gone 3G years before.

Apple left out 3G for two reasons: 1) it save money making the first model, and 2) it let them negotiate with ATT for a cheaper data plan. Battery conservation was way down the list.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Or he's just mistaken. There's no reason to call names.

Oh, of course not. His post was exemplary, how can I even try to tarnish such sensible and rational speech.

Apple left out 3G for two reasons: 1) it save money making the first model, and 2) it let them negotiate with ATT for a cheaper data plan. Battery conservation was way down the list.

Well if you want to be precise it's also because Apple didn't have the 3G patents in place with InterDigital yet (the ones they thought would be enough and not need Nokia's), those only came after the launch of the iPhone.

But battery life was an important factor, the earliest phone closer to the the iPhone in general specs (but with far worse software, eg WAP only browser) was the LG Prada. The 3G version of that phone had terrible battery life, eg 3h talk time in 3G (on paper, even worse in real life).

When the iPhone 3G came out it had a more sensible +5h talk time (real as usual of Apple's specs). So you may be mistaken on the "list" of Apple's priorities.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'm a fan of Apple, but I think it's pathetic that Apple (or Google) would buy patents to "hobble" their biggest competitor.

I hope that Apple's legal department carefully reads up on the famous cases brought by the US government against the United Shoe Machinery Corporation in the first half of the 20th Century, where the company was sued for abusing patent rights to snuff out competitors. We could see a stipulation from the Federal government that Apple must license the patents on Nortel's LTE implementation at low cost to other cellphone makers in order to ensure real competition for 4G LTE cellphones.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Apple Fanbois: Have you ever considered reading coverage about the Mobile World Conference in Barcelona? You know, the one that Apple so happily dismisses. The one were all major players on the planet show real smartphones and not some stylish AngryBirds stuff. Come one - Zynga a presenter at WWDC - need I say more. "You now get push notification, when your crops are ready to harvest!" Great. Can't live without it!

Americans: Have you ever considered that the world couldn't laugh as hard as it should when your majesty Steve Jobs went on stage and said EDGE is sufficient? FWIW there ARE LTE phones out there. Just not in the US, as being a mobile carrier in the US must be a real PITA. Only country worse will be Australia or Canada. Lots of white spots on the map.

"My Apple product XYZ is the sexiest thing on earth"-crowd: Yeah. Go for it, fashion victim.

European Bitterness and Angst is smelly.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I hope that Apple's legal department carefully reads up on the famous cases brought by the US government against the United Shoe Machinery Corporation in the first half of the 20th Century, where the company was sued for abusing patent rights to snuff out competitors. We could see a stipulation from the Federal government that Apple must license the patents on Nortel's LTE implementation at low cost to other cellphone makers in order to ensure real competition for 4G LTE cellphones.

You'd better call them to make sure. The best legal team working for the most valuable company in tech might have overlooked it completely.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

who not saying that Apple might of been required to do that by the DOJ to be allowed to bid. That could easily of been among the requirements for them to be allowed to even bid for the patents.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

You know, I had posted a nasty response to this, but now I give up. I merely suggest if you are going to cite a case, next time you read it.

http://supreme.justia.com/us/247/32/

Unsubscribe.

Last edited:

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Have you ever used a Samsung Galaxy S2? In case you do, don't be surprised when you sell your iPhone and switch to the Galaxy -- I did. Not only the hardware of the Galaxy is superior to Apple's hardware, the software is also better in every aspect - and unlike iOS, Android does NOT try to restrict the user whenever and wherever possible.

Apple has lost the leadership and no longer has the better products; iOS 5 and iCloud are "me too" designs that basically only implement features that Android has had for a long time now. Since being good is not sufficient when somebody else is better, Apple is now trying pathetic legal games to regain the pole position.

Did you enjoy the counterfeit or copycat? Strange. :cool:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I'm a fan of Apple, but I think it's pathetic that Apple (or Google) would buy patents to "hobble" their biggest competitor.

I'm posting this on the 4th of July. The U.S. Constitution grants Congress the right to pass laws allowing patent holders to hobble any and all of their competition. This in order to encourage Progress of Science and useful Arts (for a limited time).

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I'm tired of this statement. You cannot get a "software patent" in the U.S., either (at least not like everyone implies). You cannot patent a pure algorithm or abstract idea, same as Australia. You are patenting a machine that performs some series of steps; these steps may be directed by software (or cams, levers, and dancing squirrels) You do the same thing in Australia. In New Zealand there are guidelines permitting "embedded software" to be patented, same as the U.S. (which permits patenting of media containing instructions causing a machine to perform specific steps). In both Australia and the U.S. you can patent a business method if it is performed by a computer. The "well defined" laws in Australia are essentially the same as in the U.S. as far as what is patentable, but it is easier to get a patent in Australia than in the U.S. - most folks consider the USPTO to do a better job of finding prior art than other countries. People who complain about U.S. "software patents" are people who have not read the claims of the patent and/or who don't work as patent agents in the U.S. or other countries.

I'm aware that software patents is slang. Have some tea and scones and sit down for awhile. You clearly need some time in your happy place.

Last edited:

tenly

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If RIM, as a part of this consortium received a paid-up license to use all of the Nortel patents in exchange for their 770 million dollars, what would happen if RIM were acquired by another company? Would the acquiring company also inherit the paid up license to use all of those patents?

With the recent drop in RIM's stock price, Google could purchase RIM for about 15 billion dollars. If that price includes the license rights for 4.5 billion dollars worth of patents as well as all of RIM's existing patents, customer base and infrastructure, then Google may have dropped out of the bidding war for the patents because they see more value in acquiring RIM outright to gain access to the patents than by purchasing the patents outright.

A lot of Apple's success with the iPhone comes from controlling both the hardware and the software. If Google wants to imitate that model, acquiring RIM at its current valuation may make a lot of sense.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
This is not the basic form of LTE that is on the market today. This is an advanced LTE that will take several years to hit the market. By the time this is available, Apple will have obliterated Google and people will write about them in history books. I don't understand what the big deal is.

:)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I'm aware that software patents is slang. Have some tea and scones and sit down for awhile. You clearly need some time in your happy place.

He's an Engineer who happens to be a Patent Attorney. I'm sure he takes it personal when people constantly misrepresent his profession.

My favorit was one time I saw the 1-4 be bid. Talk about a sure fired win for the 4th guy.

I never thought I'd say this but The Price is Right should have ended when Bob Barker retired. Growing up watching that was a right of passage in America. Now it's just painful to watch.

And nothing like all the 70s babes.

Last edited by a moderator:

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007

Apple wanted to take a general computing platform and put it on a phone, but technology then would only give them 3-4 hours of the battery.

I never said LTE phones were out in 2007. I said they are out now ITW. But thanks for the flowers...

My post was and is just to remember you that your so-called 'most innovative company on the planet' intentionally delivers lower grade hardware components - but the RDF kicks in so it is *magical*.

Apple's history of the iPhone is one of marketing genius. Considering the product, it's really meh. And yes, I perfectly see that none of you ever cared about other mobiles. But it's great to see a forum bashing Google for data-mining while they are all collecting location-based data and soon will deploy *their whole life in form of documents* on Apple based servers.

Now come out blind followers and crucify your Galilei.

Last edited:

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
He's an Engineer who happens to be a Patent Attorney. I'm sure he takes it personal when people constantly misrepresent his profession.

The cat's out of the bag.

Just like about every other technological or scientific profession on the planet. Yes it does suck, but there's not much you can do about it. Getting personal about publicly skewed terms is unnecessary stress.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.