Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxone

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
iPod isn't an MP3 Player

What makes me the most angry is when people call the iPod an "mp3 player". News flash: the iPod plays other formats of music (most importantly, the best sounding audio codec out there: AAC) Not to mention it plays uncompressed AIFF, WAV and Apple Lossless files for those of us who cannot listen to compressed audio because we rely on sonic quality for our jobs (approving mixes for albums - try doing that with an mp3 or wma - the quality is just not there!) Plus, which compressed format was chosen for the new HD-DVDs? Apple's AAC...

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
anonymous161 said:
:( I think someone is having a bad day.

I'm having a wonderful day. I just cannot stand when trolls, who have no life, get on here and make up stories about buying 3 iBooks or 3 iPods in one day and having to take each one back because each one was broken (or whatever other ridiculous story they can come up with).

I mean, really, how many people do you know that have that much trouble with any product. I've never had to exchange ANY product more than once.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
foxone said:
What makes me the most angry is when people call the iPod an "mp3 player". News flash: the iPod plays other formats of music (most importantly, the best sounding audio codec out there: AAC) Not to mention it plays uncompressed AIFF, WAV and Apple Lossless files for those of us who cannot listen to compressed audio because we rely on sonic quality for our jobs (approving mixes for albums - try doing that with an mp3 or wma - the quality is just not there!) Plus, which compressed format was chosen for the new HD-DVDs? Apple's AAC...
I think it is an mp3 player since it plays mp3s.
And AAC is not Apple's, AAC was developed by the MPEG group that includes Dolby, Fraunhofer (FhG), AT&T, Sony, and Nokia.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
foxone said:

Does that really make you angry? I mean really angry?

I find global poverty, injustice and greed make me angry, but describing an iPod incorrectly? Life?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
mac-er said:
I mean, really, how many people do you know that have that much trouble with any product. I've never had to exchange ANY product more than once.

-mac-er

Well, my cousin for one. But she knows it's because her body's magnetic field is too strong. Hell, she magnetizes mechanical watches in 48 hours!

I think maybe there are a few others that have this effect - but just don't know about it.

Another wierd example, my ex-fience, every time she got upset, her Win2k box would freeze. It turns out that she too had a pronounces magnetic field and when she hit that mood, the field 'popped'. And there you go.

How's that for the wierdness quotient for the day?

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
patrick0brien said:
-mac-er

Well, my cousin for one. But she knows it's because her body's magnetic field is too strong. Hell, she magnetizes mechanical watches in 48 hours!

I think maybe there are a few others that have this effect - but just don't know about it.

Another wierd example, my ex-fience, every time she got upset, her Win2k box would freeze. It turns out that she too had a pronounces magnetic field and when she hit that mood, the field 'popped'. And there you go.

How's that for the wierdness quotient for the day?

this thread has degenerated into mindless BS. patrick, you've capped it off nicely :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
AudiGuy said:
...but iriver is more reliable and easier to sync.

I'm really curious of how much easier the iRiver is to sync (with music). All I do is pop my iPod in it's dock and let the computer do the rest.

And how is it more reliable? My iPod is very reliable.

foxone said:

Ok we'll call the iPod an: AAC, Mp3, AIFF, and WAV player :rolleyes: ;)

runcapher68

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Pottstown, PA
The Ballad of the BillyBox User

When I see brainwashed BillyBox users like this guy I have to laugh then I want to do the Mac-user thing and reach out to the poor deluded soul and help him see the light. In this case I think it would be a waste of time. We know the truth. We have better machines. We have the facts to back up our claims. And we have smiles on our faces all the time. :)

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
tech4all said:
I'm really curious of how much easier the iRiver is to sync (with music). All I do is pop my iPod in it's dock and let the computer do the rest.

And how is it more reliable? My iPod is very reliable.

Ok we'll call the iPod an: AAC, Mp3, AIFF, and WAV player :rolleyes: ;)

for one the iriver doesnt need a program to connect i know the 3rd gen ipods needed musicmatch on the PC and itunes. for example i can connect it to ANY PC and ANY mac, all i got to do is drag and drop files. easy as that. i dunno about the newer ipods do they still need to sync with itunes? can you drag and drop files between macs and PCs with out the need to reformat? does the ipod have a built in radio? can it record through a built in mic and line in optical and analog? how many times do you get the stupid battery icon with the lighting in the middle?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
AudiGuy said:
for one the iriver doesnt need a program to connect i know the 3rd gen ipods needed musicmatch on the PC and itunes. for example i can connect it to ANY PC and ANY mac, all i got to do is drag and drop files. easy as that. i dunno about the newer ipods do they still need to sync with itunes? can you drag and drop files between macs and PCs with out the need to reformat? does the ipod have a built in radio? can it record through a built in mic and line in optical and analog? how many times do you get the stupid battery icon with the lighting in the middle?

-AudiGuy

This looks like bait, but I'll answer as if it's honest questions.

AudiGuy said:
can you drag and drop files between macs and PCs with out the need to reformat?

No need to reformat, just swap 'em.

AudiGuy said:
does the ipod have a built in radio?

No, it doesn't, but kinda wish it did. But it's not a life-ender for me.

AudiGuy said:
can it record through a built in mic and line in optical and analog?

No built-in mic, but then, I'm perfectly happy to swap my iTalk on when I need it. This is good for me as if I brought a recording device to where I work - end of employment.

AudiGuy said:
how many times do you get the stupid battery icon with the lighting in the middle?

Arrr?

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
ill stop enough ipod bashing....what can i say i just dont like the ipods..i do love my powerbook though :D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
AudiGuy said:
does the ipod have a built in radio?

As said, no it doesn't. Which, IMO, I'm glad. I don't listen to the radio. I want to listen to what I want to listen to. I don't spend 100's of dollars to listen to the radio. The only time when a radio would be useful is when you were in a situation where you needed to listen to any special new bulletin.

AudiGuy said:
can it record through a built in mic and line in optical and analog?

No. Again, IMO, another useless feature. I don't remember the last time I used a microphone.

The way I see it these other audio players put these other "features" in there just to have more features that the iPod so people may see it as better just because it can do more, when in fact, IMO, those features are useless to me. Yes I know some may disagree with me, and that's fine. I just have no use for those extra features. Besides there are companies out there that make these features for the iPod if you really needed it. I don't need/use them so the iPod is great for me.

AudiGuy said:
how many times do you get the stupid battery icon with the lighting in the middle?

The battery icon with the lighting in middle only comes on when you charge the iPod. If that's what you were referring to.

rowanhall

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
two words: penis envy!

haha!
"crap cheap plastic cases", of course, titanium and aluminium fits this bracket.

as for the ipod comment, yes, some do sound better, but none are as simple and satisfying to use!

i was a windows power user for 10yrs, and since i bought my imac i havn't looked back! thats got to count for something! :)

also why do mac users always get put in 'stuck up' social bracket?

foxone

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
geese said:
Does that really make you angry? I mean really angry?

I find global poverty, injustice and greed make me angry, but describing an iPod incorrectly? Life?

allow me to correct myself by quoting Kip from Napoleon Dymanite "i'm really just getting kinda T.O.'d" :D

but seriously, i just wish people wouldn't limit it by calling it an mp3 player when it does so much more. it's KIND OF like if someone were to refer to a computer as a word processor...yeah, it does word processing, and so much more. again, notice i used KIND OF because it's not the best analogy out there but i'm too tired to think of another one :rolleyes:

B-52: thanks for the correction about it not being just apple's technology. but boy am i greatful that Apple has adopted it, it's the only audio codec worth using because finally something sounds pretty good unlike the nasty "washy" high frequencies of mp3s

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
foxone said:
allow me to correct myself by quoting Kip from Napoleon Dymanite "i'm really just getting kinda T.O.'d" :D

but seriously, i just wish people wouldn't limit it by calling it an mp3 player when it does so much more. it's KIND OF like if someone were to refer to a computer as a word processor...yeah, it does word processing, and so much more. again, notice i used KIND OF because it's not the best analogy out there but i'm too tired to think of another one :rolleyes:

B-52: thanks for the correction about it not being just apple's technology. but boy am i greatful that Apple has adopted it, it's the only audio codec worth using because finally something sounds pretty good unlike the nasty "washy" high frequencies of mp3s

so that means we should call a a swiss army knife a screwdriver/bottle opener/kife/corkscrew/scissor/saw/toothpic/plier/ruler/filer/compass???? i think it would be easier to just call it a swiss army knife wouldnt you agree?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
AudiGuy said:
so that means we should call a a swiss army knife a screwdriver/bottle opener/kife/corkscrew/scissor/saw/toothpic/plier/ruler/filer/compass???? i think it would be easier to just call it a swiss army knife wouldnt you agree?

Yes.

I think digital music player's have always been known at "mp3 players" since they've been out, at least for me. So I just associate "mp3 player" as a digital music player. Yes most are aware that most can play more than one format, but it's just easier to say mp3 player, and it's more known. To tell you the truth, when I hear "mp3 player" I don't really think of the mp3 format but rather digital music in general....but that's just me.

Course the iPod seems to becoming the general term for digital music players. Sorta like Xerox or Kleenex; although an actual product, they are used more as a general term to describe making copies and tissue.

:)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've heard Uncle Steve refer to the iPod as an "MP3 player." Somebody's got to get that man on board with the iPod thing!

BTW, I'm surprised nobody picked up on the claim of 150 songs filling a 30 Gb iPod. I've got over 2,300 songs on my 15 Gb, a couple of gigs of backup from my desktop, address book and calendar, and nearly a third of the space left over...

neildmitchell

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2005
Branding and Identity

I find it hilarious that he is not looking at the fact that he himself has been branded by the other corporate consumer elctronic and software makers, that he identifies with his "self".

He is def. one of the people out there that has bought into the "I buy therefore I am". I buy Rio therefore I am Rio! I buy Panasonic therefore I am Panasonic! :p

A good suggestion for this insecure person would be to seek counciling, discussing the topic of corporate branding and Identity and how/why it has transformed their own personal values and identity.

Sad sad sad... People confusing corporate identity with their own. :(

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
neildmitchell said:
I find it hilarious that he is not looking at the fact that he himself has been branded by the other corporate consumer elctronic and software makers, that he identifies with his "self".

He is def. one of the people out there that has bought into the "I buy therefore I am". I buy Rio therefore I am Rio! I buy Panasonic therefore I am Panasonic! :p

A good suggestion for this insecure person would be to seek counciling, discussing the topic of corporate branding and Identity and how/why it has transformed their own personal values and identity.

Sad sad sad... People confusing corporate identity with their own. :(
Good Point. However, the phenomenon is probably more common than we care to admit.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Hmmm...

I am pretty sure that the iPod was the first harddrive based Mp3 player. It might not have started big, but I think It was the first to use an actual harddrive. Just to let Card know, that film director/producer wasn't so silly in having an Apple. I work in film on a day to day basis and I also own a Mac and a Windows Machine. I didn't switch until about 2 years ago. It is so much easier to make films, graphics, newscasts, etc with a Mac than on a PC. Our teleprompters don't work half the days we run our newscast because our Windows box is defunct half the time.

OH and the iPod CAN record. Supposedly with the help of iPod Linux you can record through a mic built in either the left or right ear bud of apple's earbuds.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
foxone said:
it's KIND OF like if someone were to refer to a computer as a word processor...yeah, it does word processing, and so much more. again, notice i used KIND OF because it's not the best analogy out there but i'm too tired to think of another one :rolleyes:

to many people, it's a word processor, sometimes (but rarely) a spreadsheet, an internet portal, and an e-mail machine...and not much more, really

after fixing hundreds, or more, of machines as a pc and mac tech, i have seen the users of those machines basically do these tasks, and maybe download music, illegally, he he ;)

computers can do so much more but i think the potential of a pc or mac will not be realized by the vast majority of the public

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.