Apple have discontinued Anti Glare on 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zozo Calypso, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Zozo Calypso macrumors newbie

I have tried to order an MBP with Anti Glare display in South Africa, but the distributors here say they've been informed by Apple Europe that this model is not in Production.

I also attempted to order today at BHPhotovideo. They said, all Macbooks now come with Glossy Screen only.

Apple websites still have the option listed, but I suspect not for long.

Can anyone clarify what's happening?

UPDATE: After further enquiries BHPhotovideo now say they can supply

2. pprior macrumors 65816

I sure hope you're kidding. I have plans to buy a 17" MBP soon and will not EVER buy a glossy screen. That's why I haven't upgraded my kids imacs either.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If true, this would confirm what I've suspected all along: that 90% of buyers don't care about matte displays, and that the tiny minority who do are just very, very vocal.

Because they're doing colour-sensitive photo editing work that absolutely requires a matte display? :rolleyes: I understand the "creative professionals need matte displays" argument, but this just sounds like whining...

4. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

Folks, bantering this issue aint going to help :cool:

5. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

South Africa distributors told me that they have 100's of orders for this model. By no means insignificant for a relatively small market where Mac's cost 30% more than in the USA.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible they don't ship to certain markets or your distributor is misinformed.

7. macjay macrumors 6502

It's available online from Apple (in the USA).

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Absolute numbers of orders is meaningless. If 90% of buyers (and I freely admit to pulling that number out of the air) are buying glossy, is it worth manufacturing a matte version for 10% of buyers? Whether that 10% is 1 person or 100, it's still a relatively small percentage of total machines sold.

*shrug*

Not to say I agree with dropping the matte option. :)

9. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I assumed.

Thing is, BHPhotovideo.com (One of the largest American exporters for Electronics) have stated by email to me today,"Apple no longer makes any new models that are not glossy"

I truly hope I have been misinformed because of dealing with a world of fools.

10. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just get a sandblaster. Sandblasted glass is almost the same thing as matte.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

They haven't discontinued them, but they are limiting the amount they produce in order to purposely keep numbers down, which may cause issues distributing them to certain economies. Basically if your willing to pay you'll get what you want, and the more people in your country who are willing to pay, the more likely you are to get it in your country.

You can tell this because if you go to the Apple site then you'll see the normal display models ship within 24 hours, and the antiglare ships within 3 days, and this delay varies from country to country.

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If by "limiting the amount they produce" you mean "they're built to order", then you are right. Apple only builds an antiglare Pro when someone orders one. That may well explain why some resellers can't get them, too.

14. The General macrumors 601

Except that under the glass is a glossy LCD panel... Yep. There are two layers of gloss. The glass, and the LCD.

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So? The sandblasted surface would diffuse light coming from either direction.

16. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

ha yeah

Do you know this as fact? For Apple Europe to state they're not in production, is not the same as saying they have limited supply.

Maybe there is a stockpile already produced, reserved to supply the Primary markets. I guess time will tell.

17. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I can't believe people are so touchy about this. It's really not that big of a difference. I've used both, and it's a minor, MINOR detail. EVEN WHEN OUTSIDE.

18. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

It's indeed subjective

19. akm3 macrumors 68020

I agree with you, but 10% is a LOT of millions of macs sold.

20. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

It could be that there are no more 2.66 and 2.93 models being made, in anti glare. Maybe after a mild speed boost, they'll be available again?

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

10% would still be less than 1 million. I think people are whining because they can't adjust to change. They whined about Apple ditching the floppy, the FireWire, etc.

22. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I hate glossy screens, but now I have one of the new MBPs I am actually quite happy with it.

Although a lot of that is because of the LED back-lighting on the MBP, I still haven't seen a glossy PC laptop which I would find acceptable.

23. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a reason I could accept. But seeing as the 17" is so early in it's life cycle, wouldn't it be unusual to introduce a faster model so soon?

24. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Lol, as more and more Macs are sold, more and more non-professional users join the Apple ranks. Actually Firewire 800 has only been dropped on the amatuer model.

25. Zozo Calypso thread starter macrumors newbie

Glossy Screens aren't a progressive technology change, merely an aesthetic one.
    It's Horses for Courses, there will always be a demand by necessity for matte displays.