Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of its Community Education Initiative, Apple today announced it is partnering with an additional 10 Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) to bring coding and creativity opportunities to their campuses.

Apple-HBCUs.jpg

Apple says this initiative will introduce more students and adult learners to coding and app design through its free "Everyone Can Code" and "Everyone Can Create" curricula, helping to facilitate coding clubs, for-credit coding courses, community coding events, and workforce development opportunities for learners of all ages.

"Apple is committed to working alongside communities of color to advance educational equity," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy, and Social Initiatives. "We see this expansion of our Community Education Initiative and partnership with HBCUs as another step toward helping Black students realize their dreams and solve the problems of tomorrow."

The 10 new HBCUs include: Arkansas Baptist College, Central State University, Claflin University, Dillard University, Fisk University, Lawson State Community College, Morehouse College, Prairie View A&M University, Southern University at Shreveport, and Tougaloo College. Apple expects to double its number of HBCU partners by the end of this summer.

Note: Due to the political or social nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Political News forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Helps Facilitate Coding and Creativity Opportunities at Historically Black Colleges and Universities

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Honest question I thought everyone was equal now days in America and if you work hard you can achieve anything like Obama did

In theory. But if you spent 150+years making sure one sector of US citizens had better access to jobs, home buying, and schools and then today said *poof* you are all now equal....... Wouldn't logic say the ones who had a 150+ years of compounding head start are better off???

Its kind of weird to complain about investing in places where previously these was none. When society spent so much more decades investing in other areas.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
In theory. But if you spent 150+years making sure one sector of US citizens had better access to jobs, home buying, and schools and then today said *poof* you are all now equal....... Wouldn't logic say the ones who had a 150+ years of compounding head start are better off???

Its kind of weird to complain about investing in places where previously these was none. When society spent so much more decades investing in other areas.
Seriously. It’s like there was a giant race and one dude stabbed the other contestants in the legs before taking off.

After crossing the finish line, he goes, “You’re right; I cheated. I’m sorry. Are we cool now? Can we just keep the rankings as they are?”

And then because this dude also officiated the race, he agrees with himself and collects the trophy he bought.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
no on buys an app thinking who the developer was or there race, I feel this is showing young kids that are of colour that they cant do well enough its not helping the issue, no hate just want a better future
[automerge]1594910256[/automerge]
in my local apple store there are people from all walks of life, everyone is equal we should hiring people on there skill not on trying to have equality from everyone something is very wrong here

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
no on buys an app thinking who the developer was or there race, I feel this is showing young kids that are of colour that they cant do well enough its not helping the issue, no hate just want a better future
in my local apple store there are people from all walks of life, everyone is equal we should hiring people on there skill not on trying to have equality from everyone something is very wrong here

Please re-read my previous reply.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm surprised that Apple doesn't do this in all colleges and universities.

As it is, it seems like it might have been done for public relations reasons.

It has been, but so has just about every other investment that has ever been done.

It's why most philanthropists plaster their names across the biggest side of a building after they donate to a college or university.

Overall, there's nothing wrong with donating money to a specific segment of society. That's how it's always been done, for centuries, in America. Whether it's fair or not is really a moot point.

Reactions: rjbenson83

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012

So NOW you want to swing the pendulum back the other way (past right in the equal middle) and give that group many advantages that others dont have. Where does it stop? This generation pays for the 'sins' of their ancestors (and not their own), the next generation pays for the same, and so on and so on. At some point the playing field is leveled and the players should either succeed or fail on their own efforts and work ethic. The key is equal OPPORTUNITY, and NOT EQUAL OUTCOMES. You cant force people to go into certain fields of work, education, etc if they just dont want to pursue it based on societal norms or cultural things.

And it isn't investing where none existed before. Other colleges are open to all races. Those colleges (all but the 'black' colleges) welcome all races and allow all races to take these same courses. In fact not only do they welcome all races, they specifically give legs up to those 'special' groups of people to the detriment of all other races. If you havent tried to get into a college lately or tried to get financial aid, try it out.

See what is available for what society calls 'white' students and then try it out for students that are specifically black but increasingly more available to hispanics as well. Asians are generally left out completely and actually are refused entry because they make up a significant portion of college applicants and the colleges want to maintain quotas of the various races as students.

You can try and justify all the privileges granted to certain groups if you want to. But remember, todays minority is tomorrows majority. And then that will change again and the numbers will flip again. Be careful what you wish for. You also never know when they will institute 'quotas' for your job, or your neighborhood, etc... Wouldnt it be better to just make it equal for everyone and let the chips fall where they may.

Instead, they give breaks to special groups to make sure they gain entry. Some friends of mine are high up in the fire department of my city. Both are people of 'color'. They were telling our friend group about a situation where a number of people were taking the fire department acedemy entrance test and a lot of specifically black candidates failed the test. Who knows why. It just happened that way with that specific class. Some of the blacks complained and the fire department was forced to lower the test score requirements for those specific candidates so they would pass and they claimed that the tests were culturally biased. How can questions about fighting fires be biased ONLY against one race??????

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Why does investing in minority communities/businesses seem like public relationship reasons when the same and more has been done in white communities/businesses?

Or maybe the better question to you would be: why is investing in white communities seem normal to you?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

It 100% is for PR, since they're targeting HBCUs. An HBCU is only one subcategory of minority-serving institutions (MSIs), as defined by US law. Government efforts are usually targeted towards MSIs in general, not this subset.

Apple is saying that Hispanic-serving institutions (HSIs) aren't important? What about Native Americans (TCU/NATI/ANNHIs)? Asian-American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPISI)?

In fact, HBCUs have to be founded before 1964 and do not need to maintain any race demographics. West Virginia State University is a HBCU with 8% African American enrollment, which is less than Harvard (14%). Colleges founded after that which meet African American enrollment demographics are called predominantly black institutions (PBIs). Apple is saying that these aren't important?

I think they chose HBCUs because it has a catchy sounding acronym.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005

Certainly explains why Asians are the top of everything in the US.

However...thats outside the current news which is great. Apple can help whoever they want. If some people want to help all white, or all Hispanic, or all Jewish school they can. Its America.

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
And it isn't investing where none existed before. Other colleges are open to all races. Those colleges (all but the 'black' colleges) welcome all races and allow all races to take these same courses. In fact not only do they welcome all races, they specifically give legs up to those 'special' groups of people to the detriment of all other races. If you havent tried to get into a college lately or tried to get financial aid, try it out.

Everything else is cool, but this bit is wrong.

HBCUs allow anyone to attend, they are just Historically Black Colleges and Universities. I don't know where you got the idea that they are "black only."

Additionally, white people who attend HBCUs get minority scholarships ... because they are the minority at that point.
Additionally, white people who attend HBCUs in predominantly black cities double dip, and get money from the city and the university.

Additionally, HBCUs have had students from other countries attend for decades. Howard, Morgan, Bowie, and UMES (all in Maryland) have long histories with China, Japan, Germany, and a plethora of Central American countries and have provided study aboard and exchange programs for students with various backgrounds.

This is one of those "all lives matter" statements for sure.

The short answer is "NO" Apple is not saying that those other institutions don't matter.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So NOW you want to swing the pendulum back the other way (past right in the equal middle) and give that group many advantages that others dont have. Where does it stop? This generation pays for the 'sins' of their ancestors (and not their own), the next generation pays for the same, and so on and so on. At some point the playing field is leveled and the players should either succeed or fail on their own efforts and work ethic. The key is equal OPPORTUNITY, and NOT EQUAL OUTCOMES. You cant force people to go into certain fields of work, education, etc if they just dont want to pursue it based on societal norms or cultural things.

See what is available for what society calls 'white' students and then try it out for students that are specifically black but increasingly more available to hispanics as well. Asians are generally left out completely and actually are refused entry because they make up a significant portion of college applicants and the colleges want to maintain quotas of the various races as students.

You can try and justify all the privileges granted to certain groups if you want to. But remember, todays minority is tomorrows majority. And then that will change again and the numbers will flip again. Be careful what you wish for. You also never know when they will institute 'quotas' for your job, or your neighborhood, etc... Wouldnt it be better to just make it equal for everyone and let the chips fall where they may.

Instead, they give breaks to special groups to make sure they gain entry. Some friends of mine are high up in the fire department of my city. Both are people of 'color'. They were telling our friend group about a situation where a number of people were taking the fire department acedemy entrance test and a lot of specifically black candidates failed the test. Who knows why. It just happened that way with that specific class. Some of the blacks complained and the fire department was forced to lower the test score requirements for those specific candidates so they would pass and they claimed that the tests were culturally biased. How can questions about fighting fires be biased ONLY against one race??????

Ok lots to unpack here.

First up, no one is asking for special treatment or "...the pendulum back the other way..."
HBCU have always been opened to all ethnicities...And furthermore doesn't address why they were needed in the first place.
No one is asking for this generation to "pay for sins of the former" But they should acknowledge they are "benefiting" from those sins also. And that is nothing to be ashamed of...it happened. Just do better now.

Minorities do NOT get "special" treatment or access to colleges. That lie is so pervasive and a large part of the issue of inequality. BTW the largest benefactor of Affirmative Action and college acceptance are WHITE WOMEN.

Oh and those exams were found to be in violation by a Judge based on ruling back in 1970. This has a lot more detail than I care to go into and not as simple as "questions about fighting fires" If you care to, you can research it.... or simply ignore it as it probably does not line up with your firmly held beliefs...choice is yours.
[automerge]1594913736[/automerge]
Certainly explains why Asians are the top of everything in the US.....

Actually it does. Please read up on US history of relations to Asian immigration before, during and after WWII. Explains why "Asians are model citizens and so smart" trope. Nothing is by chance.

t76turbo

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Why does investing in minority communities/businesses seem like public relationship reasons when the same and more has been done in white communities/businesses?

Or maybe the better question to you would be: why is investing in white communities seem normal to you?

That isnt accurate. You are dead wrong. There is NO SUCH THING as an all white college. There is NO SUCH THING as a 'predominantly white college'. So those 'investments' as you call them are being done for all races. On the flip side predominantly black colleges are as the name implies, mostly black. With no incentives whatsoever for other races to attend.

Get your mind out of the 1st half of the 20th century and talk about facts from the year 2020 please.
[automerge]1594914470[/automerge]
Ok lots to unpack here.

First up, no one is asking for special treatment or "...the pendulum back the other way..."
HBCU have always been opened to all ethnicities...And furthermore doesn't address why they were needed in the first place.
No one is asking for this generation to "pay for sins of the former" But they should acknowledge they are "benefiting" from those sins also. And that is nothing to be ashamed of...it happened. Just do better now.

Minorities do NOT get "special" treatment or access to colleges. That lie is so pervasive and a large part of the issue of inequality. BTW the largest benefactor of Affirmative Action and college acceptance are WHITE WOMEN.

Oh and those exams were found to be in violation by a Judge based on ruling back in 1970. This has a lot more detail than I care to go into and not as simple as "questions about fighting fires" If you care to, you can research it.... or simply ignore it as it probably does not line up with your firmly held beliefs...choice is yours.
[automerge]1594913736[/automerge]

Actually it does. Please read up on US history of relations to Asian immigration before, during and after WWII. Explains why "Asians are model citizens and so smart" trope. Nothing is by chance.

The vast majority of what you said above is false. Too bad some will read it and believe it.

The pendulum has swung the other way. Affirmative action in the work place. Affirmative action in entrance to college. (above you said this doesnt happen. I know for an absolute fact that it does.) Race specific financial aid. Race specific college scholarships. Race specific housing/financing requirements. Countless incentives and quotas involving race in many segments of life today.

And you think no one is asking current day people to pay for sins of their ancestors????? What are reparations talks about today??? What about all the talk of slavery????? No white person alive today has owned a slave. But the slavery argument is brought up literally every day.

You are right. There is NOTHING you can say to change my mind that somehow a written test where there is study material available, is somehow holding back or unfairly to hard for one race to pass. Whereas ALL OTHER RACES somehow can pass it with proper study time. Some say racism is thinking your race is better than all others. I would also include in that definition that racism can be low expectations and thinking just because of their color, they arent smart enough so they need a leg up.

IF that is what you think, YOU are part of the problem.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Oh boy. Assume I have read everything. Or dont whatever. I was simply referring to the data anyone can look up which shows Asians have the highest scores, lowest rate of crime, and highest incomes as a group. It pops the myth you are spreading but it looks like in the face of the simple conclusions you have another myth which explains it away. Thats great. But I am a simple man and when faced with complicated theoretical explanations and really simple ones I go with the simple one.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Ok lots to unpack here.

[...]

There is no shame...none at all, in providing a targeted incentive towards institutions that were targeted and denied justice and resources in the past.

Next thought: This isn't about blaming, or even punishing, a group of people for the sins of the past. Why would some people so personalize America's federal government and its corporations? That said, it is the highest of hypocrisy to extol the baseball, apple pie and Fourth of July and not acknowledge the crimes of the past. This is not an individual problem, it is an American one...and if a corporation chooses to have a targeted outreach program to expand the talent-base for future Apple employees...what's wrong with that? These past errors have had lingering impacts on America. The United States' failure as a nation to have adequately addressed the debts owed are literally the reason people are marching and protesting all over this planet.

Another thought: There was one analogy about a race representing the concept of "race" (a social construct) in America. While I empathize with the intent of that analogy, it's not quite accurate. More or less until 1865, not only were Black Americans not only not in the race, their bodies and labor were the allegorical shoes for others. After that, those enslaved in America were less "freed" and more "fired." Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) came into existence because these targeted people lived in an America where seeking education would be punished by beatings, sale to even more cruel masters or even death.

This may be an unpopular line of thought in this forum, and I understand that there will be many who, and some quite vehemently, disagree...but really: for a population of American citizens who were negatively targeted and afflicted specifically because of their "race," i.e. the color of their skin and the region of the world that they originated for the purpose of providing free labor to build an agrarian nation until it had the financial and technological capacity to mechanize and transition into the Industrial Revolution...it only makes sense that the solutions have to target the descendants of such people, ostensible American citizens, who have negatively been afflicted.

This form of outreach to encourage and incentivize institutions of higher learning who have historically struggled with capitalization for the sake of expanding the world's talent pool in this field...well, yippee-ki-yay.

(And for the sake of disclosure: I work at a HBCU in the United States. It is an ongoing honor.)

Last edited:

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
One other thought:

Americans, particularly Americans who have immigrant ancestors who came to the United States after 1865, seem to have a willful, seemingly intentional blindness and they confuse ending a harm with compensation for a harm. Compensation for a harm is reparative justice. Ending the harm, while essential, is not.

If a person has been stabbed, pulling out the knife is not closure. Moreover, an effort to treat the bleeding shouldn't be met with complaints to give bandages and medicine to everyone.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
That would make sense, but hiring people based off skill is racist according the left, who now believe people should be given special treatment based off race. (Sounds actually racist, doesn't it?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.