Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
My Series 0 regularly has more than half battery life when I put it on the charger at night after using it for 3 years daily.

If I wanted sleep tracking, I could just charge it in the morning until I'm dressed and it would probably keep up.

I don't have battery issues with my Series 0 either and never have. I do now charge it while I'm showering after my first workout of the day (1 hour workout) but I don't really need to. Just becomes part of your daily routing (you're taking it off to shower anyways, what's the difference between putting it on the dresser or putting it on the charger on the dresser?).

Seems those that still make a stink about the battery life are all folks who have never owned ones. Before the first Apple Watch even shipped there were those up in arms about battery life. Then when they got one they quickly realized it's a non-issue.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Makes sense.
Why not enable for everybody? People under the age of 65 do have falls and are not able to get up on their own. I've seen it several times in the area I work, mainly from scooters and bicycles, but some are from walking as well.

Reactions: recoil80

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
This was the showstopper for me. My gripe is the price increase. I was on the fence when I heard the specs as I really didn't want to get rid of an s3 stainless this early, but when I heard the cost it was the nail in the coffin. 25% more than last year has me willing to wait. Maybe I buy used next year I'd see what Apple has uoxtheir sleeves for the 5th gen.
[doublepost=1537395699][/doublepost]
Sleep watch app has done very well for me. It's not free, but at a couple bucks it's worth it if it's data you deem important to you. I was surprised how well it worked and picks up on my sleep.
[doublepost=1537395848][/doublepost]
Or possibly during holiday sales. If my memory serves correct this happens every year, depending on the model you want.

Im sure the ECG isnt cheap to make, thus the price increase. Get ready because as they add more features the price is only going to go up. Wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now a apple watch cost 1000+ same as where the iphone is now

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Why not enable for everybody? People under the age of 65 do have falls and are not able to get up on their own. I've seen it several times in the area I work, mainly from scooters and bicycles, but some are from walking as well.

Or maybe you are at home cleaning something high and you need to climb on a ladder or a chair and you fall. Can happen in your 20's, elderly people are more prone to that kind of incidents but it doesn't mean young people are always fine

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
I'm getting one when the price goes down.
You're not getting one.
[doublepost=1537445849][/doublepost]
ECG is the only reason I see there to upgrade
Depends what you're upgrading from. If you're series 3 it'd have cost quite a bit for one year of use and a small spec bump. Series 2, perhaps, 1 or 0, good upgrade.
For me, who tried the 42mm last year and found it too uncomfortable but the 38 display too small, I will be going to the store after Friday and testing the new 40 to see if that fits my bony ass wrist but is still visible to my ancient rheumy eyes. Be interested to see how many people who got used to 42mm but found it as big as they wanted upgrade to 44 or drop back to the new 40mm.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
It's a shame that they could not have
Intergraded these new features into the more durable ceramic model.

BoulderAdonis

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2012
Palo Alto, CA
I want the ECG of course, but I also like the louder speaker, and bigger screen for my 50 year old eyes. Automatic workout detection comes with software Watch OS upgrade I guess, but I think this is the biggest Watch upgrade ever, and I have owned every one of them. I currently have a Watch 3 ceramic, and It has been great. I lose a lot of $ upgrading each year, but it's what I like to do.

For sure though this is the upgrade you will want though - bigger screen with more complications is what everyone should be appreciating here in my opinion.

Automatic Workout detection already works on the Model 3 with WatchOS 5 (I have the ceramic “Edition” as well). I’ve had that functionality kick in several times during the beta when I forgot to start my workout.

Reactions: BuddyTronic

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Automatic Workout detection already works on the Model 3 with WatchOS 5 (I have the ceramic “Edition” as well). I’ve had that functionality kick in several times during the beta when I forgot to start my workout.

Yeah, I broke my iPhone X (got it wet in a lake) - so I haven't been able yet to try the new Watch OS - waiting for new XS Max and XS, and also Watch 4.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I want the ECG of course, but I also like the louder speaker, and bigger screen for my 50 year old eyes. Automatic workout detection comes with software Watch OS upgrade I guess, but I think this is the biggest Watch upgrade ever, and I have owned every one of them. I currently have a Watch 3 ceramic, and It has been great. I lose a lot of $ upgrading each year, but it's what I like to do.

For sure though this is the upgrade you will want though - bigger screen with more complications is what everyone should be appreciating here in my opinion.

Not sure the bigger screen will help your eyes in this case. Seems like they’re just going to fit in more content at the same size text.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Not sure the bigger screen will help your eyes in this case. Seems like they’re just going to fit in more content at the same size text.

I mainly want to be able to more easily read my running times and laps for swimming. I push off the wall, and have a glance at my last length time, and sometimes I really have to strain my eyes - so I am still hopeful that for this use case, I will be more able to see the data I want. But yeah - for all those compications they probably will be some smaller text.

I want that laser eye surgery with the bifocal insert.

Reactions: subjonas

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Text is scalable on the watch. It remains to be seen if the system fonts will be scalable or not. But Accessibility support should make that likely. By default the system text between the 38 and 42mm watches was uniform, with the 38 wrapping more text than on the 42. Nevertheless it was scalable.
[doublepost=1537474872][/doublepost]
I don't really agree with this. To me, the increase doesn't seem that substantial. If the screen size were so important, people would have gotten the 42mm instead of the 38mm all along regardless of the fit (and I'll bet some did). And for me, 8 complications just seem to provide far more information than is practical. I understand there are people who need and want this kind of detail, but I don't think it's for everyone.

43755988225_6f67a25d1d_n.jpg

Reactions: subjonas

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Text is scalable on the watch. It remains to be seen if the system fonts will be scalable or not. But Accessibility support should make that likely. By default the system text between the 38 and 42mm watches was uniform, with the 38 wrapping more text than on the 42. Nevertheless it was scalable.
[doublepost=1537474872][/doublepost]
I don't really agree with this. To me, the increase doesn't seem that substantial. If the screen size were so important, people would have gotten the 42mm instead of the 38mm all along regardless of the fit (and I'll bet some did). And for me, 8 complications just seem to provide far more information than is practical. I understand there are people who need and want this kind of detail, but I don't think it's for everyone.

43755988225_6f67a25d1d_n.jpg

Well I would agree with you also. I would qualify it by saying that people with big wrists who also need reading glasses to see will appreciate a larger screen and the potential for larger text sizes.

As for too many complications - I think there are many of us who thought 5 complications was not enough. so having 8 now is a good thing - those who don't want 8 complications can select a different screen I'm sure.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Im sure the ECG isnt cheap to make, thus the price increase. Get ready because as they add more features the price is only going to go up. Wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now a apple watch cost 1000+ same as where the iphone is now
It's possible the ecg is what caused the price jump. Already had a hard time justifying the cost of a wearable last year. This just puts it out of my range until I see even more utility, personally.

I also factor in depreciation. I will likely be able to get a stainless s4 next year around this time for around $350 if precious trends stay true. Unfortunately the watch value just doesn't have staying power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.