Apple Highlights New Batch of Emoji Coming to iOS, macOS, and watchOS Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After first giving iTunes an emoji-themed makeover, Apple is continuing its celebration of World Emoji Day with a preview of all-new emoji characters coming to iOS, macOS, and watchOS later in 2017.

[​IMG]

The new emoji previewed today by Apple include Woman with Headscarf, Bearded Person, Breastfeeding, Sandwich, Coconut, T-Rex, Zebra, Zombie, Elf, Star-Struck, Exploding Head, and more. All of the emoji shared today were previously included in the new Unicode 10 standard released in June.
    Apple didn't specify a launch date for the new line of emoji characters coming to iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple Watches this year, but it's expected that they will arrive sometime around the public launch of iOS 11 this fall, or soon thereafter. World Emoji Day celebrations are also extending to the iOS App Store, where Apple said that it has highlighted apps that showcase fun things to do with the smartphone characters.

Article Link: Apple Highlights New Batch of Emoji Coming to iOS, macOS, and watchOS Later This Year

2. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

3. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

We didn't need a zebra emoji, people could have just used the horse. This is likely the result of campaigns from zebra rights activists and I'm offended that they've included it.

(just getting that out of the way as I'm - unfortunately - expecting other comments along those lines)

4. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Just remember folks, there's a team of designers at apple that after years of study, practice, college and building up a portfolio of amazing work, are now spending 12 hours a day sitting in front of an iMac drawing emoji full-time until they just can't take it anymore.

5. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Glad they were able to pull off an emoji-themed iTunes makeover...

How about utilizing those resources into pulling off an entire iTunes makeover that doesn't suck?

6. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

7. morcutt11 macrumors 6502

morcutt11

A breastfeeding emoji? Why? I mean, I don't get the zebra one either so I guess it doesn't make any difference. Maybe the breastfeeding one would be used more than I think...

8. Aathroser macrumors newbie

I've always found that emoji are a great way to get people to actually update their phones.

9. anton_usa macrumors newbie

10. mollyc macrumors 6502

I think a lot of women with babies will use the breastfeeding one. It's a short phase in life as a mom, but when you are in that phase, it gets talked about a lot with other moms.

That said, I do think "world emoji day" is a bit much.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

12. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Because graphic designers aren't programmers.

13. malevolant macrumors 6502

14. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

It's that or spending 12 hour days determining the ideal gradient to apply to buttons, or how much drop shadow to add... There's a lot of not-galmorous jobs putting a GUI together-- I have to imagine emoji are a pretty plum position given how many people are actually aware of your work.

15. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Not sure why you are surprised. Politically correct Apple was going to add a Breastfeeding emoji eventually. Honestly I can't wait for the male Breastfeeding emoji. :p

16. TXAppleUser macrumors member

TXAppleUser

17. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

18. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Im not gonna get political but come on what the hell has it come to now days just stick with yellow emojis all this race colour is stupid how does yellow emoji offend anyone lol they are becoming a joke to many to search thru

19. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Man! This thread is going to blow up by Emoji bashing Moderators :D

20. Digitalweddings macrumors newbie

Please give us an Emoji search function first before adding more of these creepy things....

21. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

You know Apple doesn't come up with new Emojis? The unicode group comes up with and approves official Emojis http://www.unicode.org.

22. Type4O macrumors regular

Why do these things need to be highlighted. Just why?

23. TheRealDGD macrumors newbie

TheRealDGD

My Grandfather says the Yellow Emoji is offensive to the Asians, did Apple consult with them?

24. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

See my other comment, Apple doesn't come up with the emojis, every phone will get these emojis in the future.