Apple Highlights New Batch of Emoji Coming to iOS, macOS, and watchOS Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

More nonsense I won't be using.

Boy am I grouchy this morning.

2. Jsameds macrumors 68030

You literally have an Apple emoji in your sig.

3. odds macrumors 6502

D*mn straight! ***** water gun...

4. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

no actually yellow Simpson colour isn't asians dam we really do live in a world where a dam emoji colour offends people, then we wonder why now days theres so much hatred

5. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Are these available in the iOS 11 betas right now?

6. smaffei macrumors regular

The Simpsons are EXTREMELY offended by the yellow emoji!

7. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Because some of the same people screaming about racism are also the people who care the most about race. I'm black and my mother likes to use emojis all the time. She never feels the need to go out of her way to use the skin color specific because its just a damn emoji.

The yellow emojis would be suspect if they were made to actually look like Asians, but the default yellow people emojis look more like a white person with their blonde hair. (Honestly, this is probably why they chose that hair color)

8. smaffei macrumors regular

Apple is losing ground in every market except Emoji.

9. Diving Capers macrumors regular

Diving Capers

Emoji should have remained yellow only. This diversity rainbow is out of control. If they didn't want yellow they should've chosen another color far removed from anyone's skin color and be done with it.

If they want everyone to be seen through a colorless lens then why are they so preoccupied with getting so many different skin tones?

Make them blue , green.... chose a color and be done with it.

Emoji Day... LMAO ... kind of sad really

10. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

i'd be curious to know how many times each emoji was ever used, like a histogram or something top to bottom.

11. Jsameds macrumors 68030

Here's a tracker for Twitter. I like how it comes with an epilepsy warning hah

http://emojitracker.com/

12. carpleror macrumors 6502

Can someone explain to me how a woman breastfeeding her child is less offensive than a gun emoji?

13. moebius macrumors member

Do ever people criticizing "political correctness" and "sjw" become aware that are just as annoying?

These are emojis, simple graphic representation of "things", not your projective test.

14. jimothyGator macrumors regular

jimothyGator

And posted about on Facebook every…single…day!

15. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

spot on with this comment, yellow is not offensive colour its Simpson yellow and to be honest idiots that find an emoji offensive need help

16. Analog Kid, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

My guess? Pareto Zipf distribution with the basic smiley face to the left.

(edit: while it feels like there's an infinite number of emoji, technically I guess it's still a discrete distribution...)

17. MNJohn macrumors regular

Great reporting MacRumors! How did you guys ever corner this news scoop? :oops:

18. g35 macrumors 6502a

No kidding. There's one genius in the comments complaining that the different colors of emoji make it difficult to scroll through. Don't worry, all the white people are up front by default and the different skin colors can only be accessed through a long press - they don't take up extra space. You could go your whole life not having to worry about the different color emoji, unless you just HAVE to find something to whine about.

Nothing brings out the internet geniuses who will only concern themselves with the most important mac-related news quite like an emoji article. Why these people are criticizing macrumors for reporting on emoji while they voluntarily take the time to comment on it instead of just scrolling past, I'll never know.

19. chukronos macrumors 6502

And that is the origination story of this emoji:

[​IMG]

20. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

21. citysnaps macrumors 68030

No there isn't. They're not Apple's. Why post such nonsense?

Just more fake news to support your anti-Apple narrative to make you feel better with a bit of power?

22. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

No, but now they have been announced we might see them in the next Beta.

I hope they allow 4 big emojis instead of the current 3.

23. toph2toast macrumors 6502

It continues to amaze me how people don't quite grasp this :)

24. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Each company can implement Unicode spec in their own way. Google, Samsung, apple and Microsoft each have their own unique Emojis. I'm pretty sure Apple designs theirs in-house based on unicode spec.

via
    Why don’t emoji images look the same on all platforms?
    The appearance of each emoji character varies by platform, as the artwork is specific to which fonts are included on the system.

25. iMerik macrumors 6502

So much hate for new emojis. I rarely use them unless iOS suggests one to me that I think fits well enough. I can see the new yellow emojis being useful. Regarding the breast feeding emoji, I think that one conveys more information than most emojis. If a mom, for example, sends just that to her partner or two a coworker, there is a lot that the recipient will understand in that moment. The mom is busy, she maybe even stepped away from work quickly to pump, don't disturb, awake in the middle of the night, etc. I prefer helpful emojis like the breastfeeding one over random ones like a dinosaur.