Apple Highlights New Batch of Emoji Coming to iOS, macOS, and watchOS Later This Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 17, 2017.

1. citysnaps macrumors 68020

The hate allows people to feel good about themselves, by giving them a little bit of power in their lives that is otherwise lacking.

2. Eggtastic macrumors 6502

Eggtastic

They remove the gun emoji and replace it with a water gun. Also, they are removing the frog face one because it looks too much like the pepe the frog meme (a harmless frog meme that got caught up in politics, but since it mocked hillary it had to go).

Maybe next they'll remove the white shade for people citing "even more diversity".

3. akadafni macrumors regular

Where is the Prince emoj? That's all I care about.

4. gnasher729, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You probably don't realise this, but that Emoji is part of the latest Unicode Standard. So there are two possibilities: Either Apple implements it, or at some point people will get texts from their friends with Android phones with Emojis that cannot be displayed. That has nothing to do with Apple being "politically correct".

Go to the unicode.org website. They will have a link somewhere what you would need to do to get new Unicode characters added.

Removing white shades would be rather stupid, because that will clearly be "less diversity".

5. augustrushrox macrumors newbie

They took our guns!

6. Thunderhawks macrumors 601

It sums up perfectly how I feel about EMOJIs

7. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Some twisted part of my brain wants to see a breastfeeding zombie emoji.

8. macduke, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017

macduke macrumors 604

macduke

The handgun emoji represents a weapon that has the primary purpose of killing humans.

A woman breastfeeding her baby is a completely natural human activity which exhibits basic survival. This activity must be engaged roughly every two hours for an extended period by nearly half of the population at some point in their life, unless for some reason they choose or are required to use formula.

9. TheAustrianGuy macrumors member

I'm so excited!

....to ignore even more crappy emoji.

I'm probably too old to understand why these idiotic pics are hyping as they are.
    Probably because today's young people are too lazy to type whole words (let alone sentences), and even if they are not too lazy, don't have the skills to write properly.

10. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

Please Apple, no more emojii's. Adding more is just dozens of rounds of hollow point ammo for the iPhone haters.

11. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Simpson yellow is considered white on that show. People will continue to be offended.

12. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

How about updates to all iOS versions.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    What next. Only 64 bit emojis?

13. kemal macrumors 6502a

kemal

This must be a cry for help from deep inside AC1.

14. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

And why must they be commented on?

I mean, seriously, why would people take the time to comment on new emojis? Or reply to comments on new emojis? Just why?

Can't we each celebrate World Emoji Day in our own way, privately?

15. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

You know every phone at some point will have to add these? Emojis are a standard and everyone has to implement them.

16. Neepman macrumors regular

This would be a funny joke if it weren't so damn sad. I'm happy the actuaries give me a little more than 8000 days left on this planet to witness the ever growing stupidity of humanity.

17. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

What? Cook didn't include a man breastfeeding. Wait, maybe if you hold down on it it will show more. Ohhh okay never mind.

18. jmap macrumors newbie

jmap

Oh neat, I'm sure the Japanese (who are the originators of the standardised emoji set) will be delighted to see a head with a mushroom cloud coming out of it. Can't think of anything insensitive about that...

19. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Here’s how Apple designs emoji compared to everyone else:

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

21. Diving Capers macrumors regular

Diving Capers

Aliens will only be offended by Apple's interpretation ... mutilation isn't funny

22. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Because "why can't Apple comply with open standards?" wouldn't be the equally loud complaint if they chose not to implement a feature that made the transmission of text between different devices possible?

23. Superhappytree, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

Superhappytree macrumors 6502

Superhappytree

I've always loved Apples emoji designs. Way better than Samsungs and the others. I'm not even being sarcastic here but that mind-blown one is amazing with those small details like the head shattered pieces. It's a shame they can't put as much effort and detail into their OS designs anymore though. Emojis are the only part of iOS that they haven't messed up or changed that much. Can you imagine if they flattened them like they have done with everything since iOS 7? They would look awful. This is why I prefer 'skeumorphism' and is one specific area where it is superior in.

P.S. That dinosaur one was long over due!

24. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

ask and ye shall receive...

http://emojitracker.com

25. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Can you explain to me why breastfeeding is offensive?