Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's financial results conference call today was littered with references to future products coming from Apple. While some degree of optimism ("very excited about future") is the norm during these financial results calls, there was more discussion than usual about possible new products in today's results.

Steve Jobs first suggests in the initial press release that Apple is "busy finishing several more wonderful new products to launch in the coming months."

Meanwhile, in the conference call, Apple executives repeatedly referred to a "product transition" that may affect Q4 revenue numbers. Typically, "product transitions" represent existing product line revisions. In this case, the MacBook and MacBook Pro have been widely expected to be revised in the coming months with both models starting to approach the end of their lifecycles. Intel has conveniently released a new processor and chipset that could be used in the new Apple laptops.

Apple also described their formula for introducing "state of the art new products at prices their competitors can't match". They explain that these new products introduce new "technologies and features" (like the iPhone), justifying their initial higher prices. Over time, they expect to take advantage of scale and engineering to drive prices down. Apple suggested that they would follow this formula again and are "very excited" about what they have in their new product pipeline. Rumors have suggested that Apple may introduce a 12" or 13" Mac tablet later this year (September or October). Another possibility: rumors of a smaller PDA-like device that is 1.5x larger than the existing iPhone.

Article Link

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
The article doesn't give a really good reason why those transitions would impact the financials.

Why would a Macbook or Macbook Pro transition lead to hit on Apples revenue in Q4? A transition like the Intel transition or from MacOS 9 to MacOS X - there I can understand a hit.

Maybe they assume the new products are not appealing enough for the customers in the beginning, because they are too strange ? Like a Touch Mac ?

Fegan

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I don't see them introducing a product between the iphone and macbook, it'd compromise the sales of both.
A bloated product line up is not what they need.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
"Another possibility include rumors of a smaller PDA-like device that is 1.5x larger than the existing iPhone."

Yes, yes, yes.

The ultimate wired and wireless presentation remote for NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. We need thousands for our University!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Interesting.

So a little soon to give it time for the Christmas season maybe.

Oct..................................:eek:

Noiseboy

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2002
Lurking nearby.
I'm psyched, just about to get my first iPhone though I'm waiting until it goes 32 GB, it must surely do that soon, but the thought of completely new products is excellent, bring 'em on.

KT Walrus

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
My money is on new iPod Touch models including one with a much bigger screen, GPS, and built-in microphone/video camera for portable iChat. Resolution should be around 800x600.

MacBoy08

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2008
Fort Smith
Portable Times!

i cant wait till they get the notebook line updated again!!!

new MBP with new intel chipsets...options of 13.3 glossy screeen

macbook goes 12 and 13 options

mini-tablet... somewhere between 2x iphone and 10" .... dvd drive, 2 usb's, run's a version of snow leopard, 3g and wifi, thin as the air, but feels great in the hand

899$

sold

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
The article doesn't give a really good reason why those transitions would impact the financials.

Why would a Macbook or Macbook Pro transition lead to hit on Apples revenue in Q4? A transition like the Intel transition or from MacOS 9 to MacOS X - there I can understand a hit.

Maybe they assume the new products are not appealing enough for the customers in the beginning, because they are too strange ? Like a Touch Mac ?

Its just Apple being overly conservative about future quarterly reports.....again. They do this every quarter.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

This has to be a new product. Not just a redo of an existing product. Apple said the forward guidance was lower due to money being spent on the new product.

Spend a lot on R&D then make it up as they sell more of them.
This is no new Macbook. It's a completely new product.

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
I don't see them introducing a product between the iphone and macbook, it'd compromise the sales of both.
A bloated product line up is not what they need.

Unless your a VP over at Apple I wouldn't make any assumptions about them at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.