Apple Hires Amazon Fire TV Head to Spearhead Apple TV Business

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

I disagree with all of those except ping and game center.

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

Since marketting often determines the direction engineering takes that may not be bad. Great products are no good if you don't have a vision on how to sell them.

3. macTW Suspended

Very positive!! Amazon Fire TV has been a success.

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What about macOS and iOS and so forth?

5. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

6. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

For a split second I thought that was Mary Ingalls chillin' with James Marsden from Westworld.

7. peachpup macrumors newbie

Been an Apple user (consultant, educator) for longer than I care to admit. :) Big proponent, and more importantly, defender. And of course MS user as well. However, Apple has got to get some new blood. Eddie Cue, Phil Schiller, just ain't getting it done anymore. Look at Microsoft. Their fairly new CEO is tearing it up. Microsoft hardware products (and software integration) is getting hip again. Same is true for so many other companies. Time for Apple to get its foot off the brake, and travel different new exciting roads. The old Apple ecosystem of management is past due to embrace new paths, talent, and products. "Apple Watch" be damned! The old senior executive leadership just not getting it done. LOL! No fire away.

8. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

Until Apple sell UHD on iTunes they won't be changing the Apple TV anytime soon. As for Prime that's down to Amazon not Apple.

9. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

You clearly don't get reading comprehension otherwise you would not have missed my use of the word "Generally"

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

It's fits into the whole apple is coming last with an offering that it treats as a "hobby" after lost of press how they cracked the Apple TV offering . So let's ignore the other apple products in this and see this as positive news for Apple TV , give people a reason to choose it amongst the competitors out there. When apple's own faithful are choose alternative products you know Apple TV never had a following to loose. I'm a ATV user and nvidia shield, the shield kicks its arse frankly.

11. truthertech macrumors 68000

If everything he touches turns to garbage quickly:

How do you explain him leading creation of the iTunes Store in 2003 which took over the entire music industry and dominated the entire worldwide music sales,,and the App Store in 2008 which now leads the world in revenue, or him moving Apple Music to number 2 in the world from scratch in a short time with billions in revenue? How about Apple Pay zooming past Android Pay and Samsung Pay to number 1 with 75% of the entire US market and exponential growth (he's signing up a million users a week), etc.?

Mrs. Cue wants you to explain them apples.

12. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

Apple TV 4 the functionality is there it has a lot of potential.

13. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

I have an Apple TV but don't really get Apples push in this area. Apples market is fairly limited because they can only really market to Apple customers and very few of these have Apple TVs, where as companies like Netflix can market to anyone regarless of device.

I don't watch Apple delivered content on my Apple TV. Having a message that states that I have to wait 30mins before starting to watch a movie is a poor experience that I don't get watching other services. So gave up on Apple delivered content. That and they charge too much for thier content.

14. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

The Super Bowl ads were way cheaper than before. Seems money is moving away from cable TV.

15. M2M macrumors 6502

M2M

Get h265 support in iTunes and AppleTV and I am happy.

16. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

Two Apple companies: one that leads the market with great products and next to those really effective marketing (like it or not) and another one who follows, with meh products and a lot of blah blah around.

17. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

Do you really think Alexa is better than Siri? For starters it's not even available in most languages.

Siri is way better than Alexa and Google Assistant in many use cases, and generally speaking there's no clear winner in the early AI races.

18. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

I will not ditch Netflix, But any commercial war will be welcomed,

19. iDento macrumors 6502

iDento

- Calendar works, and works great.
    - Maps is getting better and is now the third best maps service I've used after Google & Sygic which is not free.
    - Mail is ok.
    - iTunes should die asap.
    - iCloud is actually amazing, Photos library, Notes and all the documents syncs is so fast and reliable, I don't see the problem here.
    - The already killed Ping & Game Center, sorta.
    - Apple TV UI isn't great or sexy but it's so easy to use and get the job done.

Can you please give use better, free, more OS integrated alternatives?

20. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

As one who owned the NVIDIA Shield TV (returned it), owns a Chromecast Ultra, owned a Apple TV Gen2/Gen3, owns a Apple TV Gen4 and has been using "Smart-TVs" with operating systems like Android TV, Tizen and WebOS I feel like I have experience a lot of different UX-design on TVs.

I also own a PlayStation 4, Xbox One and a Nintendo Wii:U. How come people actually complain about the UX-design of the "new" Apple TV? It's no doubt in my mind that it's better compared to all the others I've had experience with. It's fast, fluid, it's colourful, it's easy to use and navigate. It features the best YouTube-app with the best UX-design. The one you get to WebOS, Android TV, Shield TV etc is worse in pretty much every respect. It also features the Plex-app with the best looking and usable UX-design.

Do people complain just cause? Arguments about the Apple TV UX-design not being great just seems foolish to me. It's almost like people just keep complaining in the comments no matter what.

21. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

"Hi Tim, so yeah, Amazon Fires sell because they don't cost £150+"

22. tech3475 macrumors 6502

One potential problem is that the Fire TV series owes its success in part to a low price and/or kodi.

Things which Apple are unlikely to want to see on the platform.

23. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I agree- if I want to watch anything in 4K, I have to switch away from the Apple TV over to the Samsung apps. And a roommate has a non-smart TV, so he can't watch 4K at all unless he hooks up a computer with downloaded files. Ridiculous. 4K isn't that new anymore.

24. toshmac macrumors member

toshmac

whoa headline wordplay.. "Apple" twice, "TV" twice, "head" twice, hire + fire

25. burgman, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017

burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

What has he done since then? Greatly deserved bragging rights for his retirement party. Pretty clear he and some other top execs have peaked.