Apple Hires Amazon Fire TV Head to Spearhead Apple TV Business

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 7, 2017.

1. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Other devices have Amazon Video.

It's not abouting protecting Fire, it's about Apple wanting a percentage of media it doesn't even store or serve up. That's as if a TV maker demanded a percentage of everything we bought from commercials shown on our TV.

But yeah, maybe he can give Amazon a better deal so ATV can get Amazon Prime.

2. Maury macrumors 6502

Sure, but I want all of this in one place. When I go to "movies", all the movies on the machines in my house should just be there. I shouldn't have to go to "computers", let alone some other program entirely. Apple's all about "just work", and it doesn't.

3. BlandUsername macrumors 6502

BlandUsername

AND!!! you will be able to Airplay it to your new Apple Fire device.

4. stevet macrumors 6502

Right for the .001% of people that actually have those sets. Bigger fish to fry with the apple tv, content is the major issue right now not resolution or High Dynamic Range. And considering the lack of content for the masses in that format, it's even further down the list. Sorry.

5. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Oh good lord.... It's 2017, not 2013. People are buying 4K TVs in droves, and considering that is about all that will be available soon it will soon dominate all TV purchases--if it has not already. That ".001%" comment was just plain absurd and smacks of blind justification.

Mike

6. stevet macrumors 6502

4K is different than 4K with HDR support. Learn to read, maybe?

7. truthertech macrumors 68000

No one knows what sort of negotiations have gone in the background between Apple and Amazon, but contrary to your allegation, it's not just about "greedy" Apple as you like to characterize them. It's also about Amazon wanting to stymie the advance of ATV and other competitors, and to grab as much mindshare for their Echo device while they can; hence their refusal to put a Amazon Prime app on ATV and their removal of ATV's and Chromecast from their web site.

It's Amazon's prerogative, but it's clear they are the reason you can't buy ATV and Chromecast from Amazon anymore. and it's clear they are the ones denying their customers the convenience of ATV Prime App as they could avoid having to pay Apple any commission for people who order movies, etc., by eliminating the links and not allow in app purchases, like what they've done with the Kindle app and the Amazon Prime on iPad and iPhone. Simple.

Yep, Apple allows the smallest and largest companies to essentially use the ATV platform for free, but if those companies want to charge people, then of course Apple is going to charge a percentage for those who want to use the platform to bill people. Apple has spent billions to build and brings developers hundreds of millions of customers. The same way Amazon charges me to sell items on its platform that they have spent billions to build even when I don't use Amazon fulfillment. I assume you would also criticize Amazon, for charging me to use their platform. It never occurred to me that to that they should allow me to come to the store and be able to access millions of customers, and set up billings and get them to bill customers for me, etc., all for free.

Come to think of it, I guess we are all getting hosed by that greedy Ebay. I do all the work and they get a percentage just because they have built a platform for me to use, but they don't "even store or serve up" as you say any of the items I sell. Unfair!

8. btrach144, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2017

btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

More than .001% of people have 4K HDR sets. You're not worth the time of the day considering you pull stats out your rear.

9. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    What does Echo have to do with Instant Video?

If Amazon only wanted to promote their own Fire TV, then why is Prime Instant Video on other boxes like Roku?

The answer is because other boxes don't charge (or as much) and/or do not screw up the video purchasing experience.

Now you get it. Apple TV does not have a web browser, so there's no way on that device to jump out and purchase videos directly (i.e. by not having to pay Apple for in-app purchases).

Instead, the user has to go find a real computer or tablet, sign into Amazon, and purchase the media there... then come back to their ATV. Amazon does not want that.

As for your misguided eBay analogy, eBay provides listing and auction services which require servers. Using the Amazon app does not involve Apple servers in any way shape or form. It's just like with Apple Pay: Apple wants a percentage for doing nothing.

Apple is only hurting themselves by this (yes) greedy policy. Apple Pay has fewer banks, and ATV is bypassed by many buyers for boxes like Roku. Apple already makes huge profits from selling hardware.

10. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Uh... "content is the major issue right now not resolution or High Dynamic Range." Learn how logic works, maybe?

Mike

11. truthertech, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017

truthertech macrumors 68000

12. stevet macrumors 6502

I know exactly how it works. Apple wants to work on creating their own content, like Netflix and Amazon.. They don't care about 4k HDR right now because they aren't in control of the content they currently provide. And the studios aren't going to be reproducing 4k of the current content. So tell me where my logic is wrong?

Edit - And the reason content providers don't care too much yet about 4K HDR is because there aren't enough sets sold to make it worth the while. Hence my original point.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2017 ---
    Bryan, you don't know what you're talking about. A 4K TV is different than a 4K HDR TV set. HDR sets are still middle to upper range in cost and are NOT widely purchased yet.

13. btrach144, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017

btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Agreed!

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

This nonsense of justifying lack of even 4K on the ATV4 due to limited (but growing) HDR content/sales is ridiculous. While HDR may or may not take off 4K is not going anywhere. The current Amazon Fire TV came out at nearly the same time as the Apple TV 4 and it supports 4K, and would have been laughed at if it didn't. The Fire TV doesn't support HDR and it did get some criticism for that. Somehow Apple gets a pass for not even having 4K... okay. :cool:

Now before you start in about the comment asking for Apple to update the ATV now with 4K and HDR, of course that would be expected today. But in late 2015 it should have had at least 4K.

Mike

15. stevet macrumors 6502

It's got absolutely nothing about justifying, it's a proven business model, there is no need to build hardware that supports something that the masses don't consume. It's business logic. Hell, 1080P TV sets have been the mainstay for 4 years now, and maybe more... but the TV providers haven't been pushing 1080P content out. Why?