Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
ehh its stupid prototype r&d. Pay a guy a million a year, and hope something comes of it, but most likely it never will

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Once again, get off the idea of glasses and tiny screens and look at this:

sixth sense

Projectors are glasses in reverse. It's still glasses. And there are compelling reasons to not always want to project light all over the place for others to see, when Augmented Reality can give you identically projected data that are personal and private.

You can have both, and they're going to be in the same pair of glasses.

ddubbo

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
I suppose, the result, if any, will be a kind of stylish sunglasses combined with some useful gadget (navigator, street view, face or motion recognithion, speed detector, way finder etc.)

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Has an infinity focus HUD ever successfully been integrated into an eyepiece? I've never seen it - please correct me if I'm wrong.

...and regarding the 6th sense stuff... I REALLY don't want to walk around with a lanyard projecting stuff. Interesting concept, but I'd much rather use an augmented reality device like an iPhone for something like that.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
ehh its stupid prototype r&d. Pay a guy a million a year, and hope something comes of it, but most likely it never will

Since when is that Apple SOP?

If they had a (recent) history of it, then fine on that charge. But Apple since, oh, 13 years ago, doesn't buy anything or anyone unless they're serious about making some use of it.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Since when is that Apple SOP?

If they had a (recent) history of it, then fine on that charge. But Apple since, oh, 13 years ago, doesn't buy anything or anyone unless they're serious about making some use of it.

These days, I wonder if Apple will buy stuff just so Google can't.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
...and regarding the 6th sense stuff... I REALLY don't want to walk around with a lanyard projecting stuff. Interesting concept, but I'd much rather use an augmented reality device like an iPhone for something like that.

You understand that is a research prototype right? We have no clue what it will be implemented into, but cellphone will probably be among the first once pico projectors get small enough (probably the laser driven ones).

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I suppose, the result, if any, will be a kind of stylish sunglasses combined with some useful gadget (navigator, street view, face or motion recognithion, speed detector, way finder etc.)

I think sunglasses that serve as a peripheral to an iPhone/iPod touch would be great. Running apps like Nike+ could project your distance travelled, current speed/pace, heart rate, etc. There has also been a augmented reality game demonstrated recently where you shoot virtual hostiles placed in a real world environment (although the guy was wearing a backpack full of hardware).

Holding your phone in front of you isn't really augmented reality, but looking around naturally and being fed additional information is a lot closer. Of course I've never seen AR sunglasses that look like sunglasses, so the first step would be making something that people are actually willing to wear.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I think sunglasses that serve as a peripheral to an iPhone/iPod touch would be great. Running apps like Nike+ could project your distance travelled, current speed/pace, heart rate, etc. There as also been a augmented reality game demonstrated recently where you shoot virtual hostiles place in a real world environment (although the guy was wearing a backpack full of hardware).

Holding your phone in front of you isn't really augmented reality, but looking around naturally and being fed additional information is a lot closer. Of course I've never seen AR sunglasses that look like sunglasses, so the first step would be making something that people are actually willing to wear.

That's where apple and Ives come in :cool:

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
In the future...

Great.

Now we'll have to suffer through thousands of posts in the future like:

* My iGoggles don't run Flash...
(response: It's 2018, Flash was outlawed 3 years ago by President Jobs.)

* I won't buy iEyes unless they come with a stylus!
(response: Stylus!?! You'll poke your eye out kid!)

etc etc etc

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Sorry, but when you can't buy an Apple with a Blue Ray drive or a core i7 machine for less than £1,500

As wireless communication and entertainment becomes increasingly popular, I would gather that Apple does not see Blu-Ray as a necessary evil. If anything, burning DVD's will become a thing of the past as wireless communications will take precedent and forgo the of need for hard data (besides, there are probably landfills filled with plastic DVD/CD's, taking a step away from that direction is brilliant for e-waste awareness).

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I think having a wearable computer could be a great idea if done properly, although its hard to imagine any type of wearable computer that wouldn't make you look strange wearing it out in public. To be adopted by the mainstream, I think it would have to be very small, maybe something you could clip onto your glasses or be a stylish pair of glasses itself. I think if anyone can make wearable computers stylish though, it's Apple and Johny Ives.

Also, people wear bluetooth headsets all the time nowadays, which is is some ways similar to a wearable computer like device.

I hope if its ever made they use this technology which I think could be the future of computer displays:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_retinal_display

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I think having a wearable computer could be a great idea if done properly, although its hard to imagine any type of wearable computer that wouldn't make you look strange wearing it out in public.

Think 'contact lens'.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Wearable computers have been used for years, from telephone repair techs to the military. Our little R&D group had a bunch of models demonstrated to us a few years ago. They were still too bulky at the time.

One problem in marketing this stuff is how to make it appealing to the general public.

I don't think many people would want to wear sunglasses all the time.

Even the Sixth Sense kind of setup still seems a little too geeky for mass consumers.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wearable computers have been used for years, from telephone repair techs to the military. Our little R&D group had a bunch of models demonstrated to us a few years ago. They were still too bulky at the time.

One problem in marketing this stuff is how to make it appealing to the general public.

I don't think many people would want to wear sunglasses all the time.

Even the Sixth Sense kind of setup still seems a little too geeky for mass consumers.

LV gloves and Oliver Peoples shades :D (heck, if the Japanese have LV surgical masks, why not? lol)
swine-flu-louis-vuitton-mask.jpg

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Talk about skunkworks type stuff...

This stuff sounds so secret they may never let this guy leave his dev lab let alone the Cupertino campus. I can see them sliding his food in through a slot in the door.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Talk about skunkworks type stuff...

This stuff sounds so secret they may never let this guy leave his dev lab let alone the Cupertino campus. I can see them sliding his food in through a slot in the door.

Thats his problem, he CHOSE to go with the nice men in the black cloaks. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.