Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

peterstern-250x250.jpg
Former Time Warner Cable executive Peter Stern has joined Apple to work on the cloud services team, reports The Wall Street Journal. Stern will serve as a vice president, reporting to iTunes chief Eddy Cue.

During his tenure at Time Warner Cable, Stern was involved in talks with Apple about a potential deal for a joint television service that would be offered on the Apple TV. No such deal was able to be established, however, as Apple has had ongoing negotiation difficulties with content providers. Stern left Time Warner Cable following its acquisition by Charter Communications earlier this year.
He served in senior strategy and corporate development roles at the cable company as it maneuvered through multiple takeover attempts over the past few years.

Most recently, as chief product, people and strategy officer, Mr. Stern helped implement a strategy focused on customer service that helped Time Warner Cable grow its cable TV subscribers last year after nearly a decade of losses.
According to The Wall Street Journal, Stern is a vocal proponent for eliminating proprietary cable boxes provided by cable companies. He believes content providers should "be more open" to offering TV channels as apps across a wide range of devices.

Given his expertise in the cable industry, Stern may help Eddy Cue negotiate deals with media companies for a future television service. Cloud services also encompasses Apple Music, iTunes, and other iCloud-based products, so his hiring does not necessarily suggest a renewed interest in television streaming.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former Time Warner Cable Exec for Cloud Services Team

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
FYI, Time Warner and TWC are now independent and unaffiliated. (That's why they lost the RoadRunner branding)

I think whats being referred to here is TWC as Time Warner (Cable). Its just easier to say TWC and Time Warner vs Time Warner Cable.

Reactions: mkeeley

Gorms

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
UK
Given his expertise in the cable industry, Stern may help Eddy Cue negotiate deals with media companies for a future television service. Cloud services also encompasses Apple Music, iTunes, and other iCloud-based products, so his hiring does not necessarily suggest a renewed interest in television streaming.

His hiring might not necessarily suggest a link to television but I don't hire a guy who's good at plumbing to look at my electrics

Reactions: CarlJ

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
Wow, if TWC's current "customer service" model was his idea, I fear for Apple. I've never dealt with a company who cares less about their customers than TWC.

And I don't put much stock in the claim of increase in numbers of subscribers. I'd like to see numbers on retention. It's one thing to sign up a customer with an offer that they can't refuse (free pay channels, low intro price, etc.), but another thing entirely to keep them once all the promos expire and they have to call customer service.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So this guy was hired as an iCloud VP? I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing he was hired for TV not iCloud. Maybe to get a streaming TV package off the ground.

Reactions: mkeeley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.