Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zed

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
They're ignorant? Since when is a recall only declared for malfunctions that happen to everyone? You, Sir, are the ignorant one.

Heard of Toyota recalling cars? Not everyone ran off the road with sticky pedals.
Heard of meat recalls? Not everyone got infected with E. coli.
Heard of tire recalls? Not everyones' tires blew up.
Heard of Dell recalling batteries? Not everyone had a battery ignite.

There are many more but I think you get the idea...

You do realize that all the items you listed involved people getting either sick, injured or killed. Don't see many people getting injured b/c their phone lost a few bars of reception... Unless maybe they are running from Jason and frantically trying to make a call :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Whatever it's about, I'm sure they'll deny anything is wrong with the iPhone.

I guess the news that Consumer Reports rated it a "don't buy" finally spurred Apple into action. Lying to customers via CSR reps, publishing a note saying "It's a software reception display problem" is just all B.S. And let't not forget charging $30.00 for a piece of ***** rubber bumper that costs about 5 cents is just a complete insult.

If Apple learns ANYTHING from this fiasco, I hope it's that their draconian secrecy doesn't always work. There are times you need to put out info and be honest with your customers.

And maybe there'll be a side lesson they learn here.... "Don't put all of your eggs into one basket". (i.e. don't neglect your other products and focus ALL of your resources into the iGadget junk).

I don't know about you but the software fix makes sense to me.

nopple

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
This sums up the issue. Fanboys, just accept it.

From Wsj blog.

We just boxed up for return the AT&T 3G MicroCell we purchased yesterday to try to "get around the problem" that has completely incapacitated my new iPhone. The solution, sadly, was not to be found with the MicroCell. In fact, every single call I accepted or made from the new phone was dropped subsequent to the MicroCell installation. Plus, the MicroCell gummed up out Internet speed so badly, I dropped five WebEx conferences!

As the new iPhone is my home office phone, and happy Web connectivity so critical to daily life now, one can only imagine our horrors of the past 24 hours.

Come on Apple, you can do it - help! Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Dave

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Whatever it's about, I'm sure they'll deny anything is wrong with the iPhone.

I guess the news that Consumer Reports rated it a "don't buy" finally spurred Apple into action. Lying to customers via CSR reps, publishing a note saying "It's a software reception display problem" is just all B.S. And let't not forget charging $30.00 for a piece of ***** rubber bumper that costs about 5 cents is just a complete insult.

Better get your facts right... Consumer Reports gave the iPhone4 it's highest rating....

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
This sums up the issue. Fanboys, just accept it.

From Wsj blog.

We just boxed up for return the AT&T 3G MicroCell we purchased yesterday to try to "get around the problem" that has completely incapacitated my new iPhone. The solution, sadly, was not to be found with the MicroCell. In fact, every single call I accepted or made from the new phone was dropped subsequent to the MicroCell installation. Plus, the MicroCell gummed up out Internet speed so badly, I dropped five WebEx conferences!

As the new iPhone is my home office phone, and happy Web connectivity so critical to daily life now, one can only imagine our horrors of the past 24 hours.

Come on Apple, you can do it - help! Pretty please, with sugar on top?

Dave

How about you provide a link?

Also, considering that my iPhone exhibits the problems only in places where cell signal is bad, I don't believe every iPhone is flawed.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Fake announcement

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Troll Alert!

Better get your facts right... Consumer Reports gave the iPhone4 it's highest rating.... Troll.

I think YOU'RE the one who needs to get your facts straight. Why don't you Google "Consumer Reports iPhone 4" and see what you come up with. :rolleyes:

If anyone on here is a troll, it's YOU. Now bug off.

Billy Mays

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Yeah, but this "problem" isn't even life threatening. See the resemblance between a reception issue, and faulty breaks that put my life at risk? I don't either. Would be more trouble than it's worth, when there is probably an easier fix somewhere. I will let Apple speak before I pass judgement though.

Now, now, no need to strawman. The result of the issue is irrelevant. If there's an issue, there's an issue, and there IS an issue.

There are many MANY recalls on products that have no relation to personal injury.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-230785.html
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9143099/Kingston_recalls_some_USB_drives_due_to_security_flaw
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20040125073138.html

tingly

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Apple said the phone drops weak signals if held a certain way — it only looks like it's dropping strong signals cuz the signal display programming is screwy. That affects every phone. I don't know why it doesn't affect every person. Maybe they're born with rubber fingers. :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Apple said the phone drops weak signals if held a certain way — it only looks like it's dropping strong signals cuz the signal display programming is screwy. That affects every phone. I don't know why it doesn't affect every person. Maybe they're born with rubber fingers. :)

Because some people get good signal.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
But also said they wouldn't recommend it.

That does not mean "Don't buy".... besides... if they scored it the best among all other phones, isn't that a recommendation in itself?

With that said, I'm sure Apple didn't like that part of the it... but I don't think that is driving the announcement... having a fix and a plan is driving the announcement.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I think YOU'RE the one who needs to get your facts straight. Why don't you Google "Consumer Reports iPhone 4" and see what you come up with. :rolleyes:

Take your own advice. They did not rate the phone a "don't buy" as you claimed in your previous post; they just didn't list it as a "recommended" phone although it had their highest rating.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
They're ignorant? Since when is a recall only declared for malfunctions that happen to everyone? You, Sir, are the ignorant one.

Heard of Toyota recalling cars? Not everyone ran off the road with sticky pedals.
Heard of meat recalls? Not everyone got infected with E. coli.
Heard of tire recalls? Not everyones' tires blew up.
Heard of Dell recalling batteries? Not everyone had a battery ignite.

There are many more but I think you get the idea...

All of those examples sound like safety concerns to me. You're not going to die if you have to put a case on your phone or hold it differently. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but I am saying it is ridiculous to compare a hardware glitch on a phone to a ton of huge safety concerns on other products.

Critical thinking is your friend.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Damn the cost

Steve will never ever say anything like "bumpers are the answer". That would almost literally be sticking a band-aid on his injured baby. More likely he is saying Apple must do a real, true fix, damn the cost.

I think if there is no software solution, it will be a voluntary exchange for a new unit.

Aries326

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Mashable had a great article on what Apple needs to do.

1. Acknowledge That the Antenna Problem Is Real
2. Go into the Technical Details
3. Roll Out the Software Update
4. Make the Bumpers Free
5. No Matter What, Don’t Issue an iPhone 4 Recall

There is no antennae problem. I've got a 3GS and my buddy has a iPhone 4.0 and he gets signal in places at the hospital where I can't even get one. As far as covering part of the antennae causing a drop in signal, I can reproduce that with my 3GS as well. People need to stop digging for things that isn't there. If your signal drops while holding the phone, well, the signal in that area was probably weak to begin with and your iPhone probably shouldn't have been displaying as many bars. Enjoy your phone and don't worry. If you honestly hate it so much, return it. Your lost.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
There is no antennae problem. I've got a 3GS and my buddy has a iPhone 4.0 and he gets signal in places at the hospital where I can't even get one. As far as covering part of the antennae causing a drop in signal, I can reproduce that with my 3GS as well. People need to stop digging for things that isn't there. If your signal drops while holding the phone, well, the signal in that area was probably weak to begin with and your iPhone probably shouldn't have been displaying as many bars. Enjoy your phone and don't worry. If you honestly hate it so much, return it. Your lost.

This.

Finally, someone with common sense. Thank god. I've gotten tired of all the babies on the fourms.

cferra

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
++PREDICTION++

They will announce the iPhone 4 for different carriers on Friday.

No way will they acknowledge that there is an issue with the phone.

Chris

Billy Mays

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
All of those examples sound like safety concerns to me. You're not going to die if you have to put a case on your phone or hold it differently. I'm not saying it doesn't suck, but I am saying it is ridiculous to compare a hardware glitch on a phone to a ton of huge safety concerns on other products.

Look up.

Now, now, no need to strawman. The result of the issue is irrelevant. If there's an issue, there's an issue, and there IS an issue.

There are many MANY recalls on products that have no relation to personal injury.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-230785.html
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9143099/Kingston_recalls_some_USB_drives_due_to_security_flaw
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20040125073138.html

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

I did .... if you can read this article check it out yourself.... does not say "Dont buy" it says they can't give it their recommendation (among the other phones) because of the signal issue. But that does not mean "don't buy"... it scored the highest of all smart phones. Do you know how it works with Consumers Reports?

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/1...tes-iphone-4-highest-amongst-all-smartphones/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.