Apple Holds 'Close the Rings' Apple Watch Fitness Challenge for Employees

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In February, Apple held a "Close the Rings" Apple Watch fitness challenge for its employees, designed to encourage them to be more active.

Employees who completed all stand, movement, and exercise challenges on the Apple Watch each day for a month earned an Activity rings pin (which matches in-app badges) and a matching T-shirt. Pins appear to be available in gold, silver, and bronze, based on performance, while the T-shirt being awarded is black with colorful Apple Watch-style rings and text that reads "Close The Rings Challenge 1.0" on the back.

[​IMG]
    Image via Instagram user gabo_cr7

As noted by French site WatchGeneration many Apple employees have been posting images and messages on social networking sites like Instagram and Twitter, announcing the completion of the challenge.

Each of the pins is accompanied by the following message:
    While this challenge is limited to Apple employees, Apple has done public challenges that resulted in special in-app badges. On Thanksgiving, Apple challenged Apple Watch owners to run 3.1 miles as part of a Thanksgiving Day Challenge, and on New Year's, Apple encouraged Apple Watch owners to "Ring In The New Year" by closing all three Activity rings each day for a week in January.

Apple's Close the Rings employee challenge appears to coincide with a new "Close Your Rings" ad campaign that kicked off in January, but it is part of a series of wellness challenges that Apple encourages employees to complete each month.

Article Link: Apple Holds 'Close the Rings' Apple Watch Fitness Challenge for Employees

2. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Wonder if the top brass are participating.
    Curious if they got back into shape how would that reflect on their workflows, work ethic, through process and execution of future products? Hmmmm.

3. dash16 macrumors newbie

Bronze, not rose gold. Gold, silver, and bronze.

You know, like medals.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Did this include retail employees? This is definitely a program they should expand across all of Apple.

5. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

6. hauntvictim macrumors regular

hauntvictim

It would be great if this could be rolled out to customer base. Not logical but much better than the digital ones in the app.

7. simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

Close the (your) rings will never sound right to me!

8. MellowFuzz macrumors 6502

Are the pot-bellied Ive, Schiller and Cue excluded?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    The only type of activity Apple employees should be doing is getting new and better product out of the door.

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Cool.

So far, all of their public challenges, I've only completed one. Still, I have come damn close...

One day I more than quadrupled my move ring goal. Yep... :eek: It is one feature that I've found hard to let go to move to a Garmin fenix (back to a fenix, now that they have the fenix HR gizmos I might upgrade to the v3 when it comes out. I do really need the non-aluminum watch. This stainless already has some minor scratches in it)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    I read an article about how much Odwalla juices they drink there. Not surprised. Their 'superfood' juice is pretty high caloric...

10. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

Looks like they worked about as hard on designing that t-shirt as they have on the Mac Pro over the last three years.

11. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I want that shirt! Someone please help me.

12. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Okay, I changed it, but I think rose gold was a lot more fitting for Apple!

13. MellowFuzz macrumors 6502

Yep - 60% sugar I think? Another instance of the geniuses at Apple being morons.

14. Asarien macrumors regular

Dude, you're in too deep with this Apple loyalty thing. It's just a cheap shirt manufactured by international labor.

15. BlueParadox macrumors regular

Completely agree. Would prefer the term "Complete the Rings" or such, particularly as one isn't opening or closing anything; rather starting an indicator with the probable intention of finishing or completing it...

16. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

It would be cool if we could all participate and maybe the reward would be to be eligible to buy the shirt and stuff at cost plus shipping. Seems like a cool way to get all us Apple nerds in shape

17. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Apple makes fantastic shirts. They're very well built. Tagless and have the sf font inside the collar.

I wear an Apple shirt every day. They're great.

18. drewyboy macrumors 65816

Well, I'm glad I get the financial compensation for health related programs at my work. At least $500 a year to do some simple things. I wouldn't be very thrilled with a pin.

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68000

Kaibelf

Good for you? Not every company can afford such things, and not everything is done for a cash reward.

20. SteveW928 macrumors 65816

SteveW928

No doubt. But, health is certainly important for them to do a good job. The problem, is that aside from some movement being better than just sitting in a chair all day long, what the Apple Watch is measuring is fairly irrelevant to health and fitness.

Diet is *WAY* more important than exercise (and the majority of people - especially as I've witnessed in tech - have horrible diets), and 5 - 10 minutes of more high intensity exercises and strength training a few times per week is worth way more than running marathons.

21. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Apple can't afford .... LMAO

22. JungeQuex macrumors regular

23. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I don't disagree with you about diet being half the battle for somebody contributing to exercise and a healthier lifestyle.

However, I think you're missing the point behind the rings. They are used to motivate the user to keep Press onward to achieve and obtain the goals that are set in front of them. The Watch reminds you of these goals and then you're rewarded an achievement badge when complete them. So in theory, they can be fairly motivating to want to push yourself and complete the goals necessary to gain the achievements.

Also, the Apple Watch is a general health device to measure activity and movement. So it's not irrevelant at all, you're just looking at this differently when considering diet over physical regiment.

24. jkruehne macrumors regular

jkruehne

Exactly my thought. never understood to collect "digital badges" – they should be send to customers, when reaching the specific goals. (and if you collect all of them in a given time you will be awarded with apple gift cards : )

25. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

"Scientology" comes to my mind.