Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Sorry about the late response and bumping the thread...

But motivation is what most seem to struggle with on a daily basis, and the rings in the achievements are digital awards for what one should do to better themselves.

I'd probably argue that it shouldn't be such a struggle in the first place. The reason it's such a struggle is because of our diets and lifestyle. In other words, cart before the horse.

Motivation is good, but I guess I'm wondering if it's motivating many to do things that actually do better them (or just make they think they are bettering themselves... quite possibly deceptively).

Anybody can take a diet and eat less or be more health conscious of what they're eating, but the rings act as a tool to boost someone into physical fitness and setting goals. That was my whole point from before, which I think you're short siding.

Well, exercise is important... the right kinds, at least. But, unless the diet is corrected, it's pretty much in vain. I think that's why I'm critical of it, in that people might think they are being more healthy, when in fact, they might not be. That might actually substitute for making the real changes they need to make.

Again, check out that podcast I previously mentioned. From what I've learned, it's impossible to out-exercise poor lifestyle and diet. And, in fact, a few high-intensity, relatively short, exercise sessions a week are better than daily cardio-type stuff. In fact, the latter might be detrimental under a number of conditions.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Sorry about the late response and bumping the thread...

I'd probably argue that it shouldn't be such a struggle in the first place. The reason it's such a struggle is because of our diets and lifestyle. In other words, cart before the horse.

Motivation is good, but I guess I'm wondering if it's motivating many to do things that actually do better them (or just make they think they are bettering themselves... quite possibly deceptively).

Well, exercise is important... the right kinds, at least. But, unless the diet is corrected, it's pretty much in vain. I think that's why I'm critical of it, in that people might think they are being more healthy, when in fact, they might not be. That might actually substitute for making the real changes they need to make.

Again, check out that podcast I previously mentioned. From what I've learned, it's impossible to out-exercise poor lifestyle and diet. And, in fact, a few high-intensity, relatively short, exercise sessions a week are better than daily cardio-type stuff. In fact, the latter might be detrimental under a number of conditions.

I know people that ride spin bikes and are snarfing down gel packs, protein powders and 'protein bars' (which are just cleverly marketed candy bars) and are fooled into believing that is 'what the pros do', and they should too.

And, the killer: Wondering why they are gaining weight!

One step forward, three (or more) back...

But at what time does someone bail on a friend, or SO, partner? If they 'want' to lose weight, and continue to do things that put on weight, that's bad. It's silly... But when they then try to hook you into gaining weight too through subterfuge, and little hints (buying your favorite ice cream, buying clothes for you in a larger size, bitching because you are always out exercising at the times you are normally exercising, making a screaming match when you suggest they might need to exercise more, go on a pouting fit when you say 'NO!' to their latest assault) I mean, I refuse to enable someone and codependency is just sick. Sabotage is passive aggressive bullhockey...

The capitalist system in this country would market crack to pregnant women if it meant they could 'make quota' that month, and be able to afford another corporate jet, or buying yet another politician. THAT system seeks to hide the crap in what we eat, and the degree of craptasticness in the gloorp they churn out.

Unless you are riding/running/rowing 4 hours, or don't eat anything beforehand, you will NOT need a gel pack, or a Gatorade jelly, or quaffing bottles of 'sports drinks'. The 'pros' do it because, well, they are 'pros', and they are marketing tools to get normal people to consume mass quantities of their sponsors junk...

But anyway...

I LOVE the activity features of the Apple Watch, but, by many, I must have been a lab rat in a past life... ;-)

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I know people that ride spin bikes and are snarfing down gel packs, protein powders and 'protein bars' (which are just cleverly marketed candy bars) and are fooled into believing that is 'what the pros do', and they should too.

And, it isn't just the 'pros' either. The nutritional guidelines the government puts out are wrong. Most nutritionalists are improperly trained. Doctors giving nutrition advice are misinformed. Nearly all the common 'wisdom' about fitness, health, and nutrition is wrong.

Which gets down to some of the basis behind health trackers and the Apple Watch being wrong as well.

If they're eating wrong and spending tons of time on spin bikes, running, etc. of course it won't work. Hormones control weight. They're actually making the problem worse in all but the short-term.

But, this is what they've been told to do! Eat less (often less calories), and exercise more. That's a recipe for disaster.

... in this country would market crack to pregnant women if it meant they could 'make quota' that month, and be able to afford another corporate jet, or buying yet another politician.

Yes, that's a huge part of the problem. The political corruption and FDA are a huge issue. While I'm sure they sometimes protect our safety, they've also been a pawn of the (bad) food industry. They often regulate things that could actually help people, to promote the drugs and wares of the food industry and big-pharma, while allowing a lot of substances in food that are actually banned in most of the rest of the world.

But, that's the tip of the iceberg. As I noted earlier, it's impossible to exercise your way out of an unhealthy lifestyle and diet. And, then, the best exercise has been found to be a few, shorter high-intensity workouts a week... which in my understanding, won't rank as well in 'fitness trackers.'

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
As I noted earlier, it's impossible to exercise your way out of an unhealthy lifestyle and diet. And, then, the best exercise has been found to be a few, shorter high-intensity workouts a week... which in my understanding, won't rank as well in 'fitness trackers.'

I agree with the first assessment - 'It's impossible to exercise your way out of an unhealthy lifestyle and diet'. That's the hardest thing to change. It's much easier to pay money to the gym in the hopes that you go and workout, and think you've accomplished something, it's much harder to change your diet and lifestyle. And harder to actually GO to that gym on a regular basis. The gym's goal isn't to get you to eat healthier or live healthier, only to get you to pay for their memberships.

I disagree with the best exercise being 'few, shorter high-intensity workouts'. Best exercise for WHAT? If you're training for a marathon, you want to run all the time for hours at a time. If you're trying to bulk up, you need longer and more frequent workouts (with different body parts at different times). If you have injuries, you need to do things slower and longer. If you're trying to get better at a sport, you might want to spend 3-4 hours on the tennis courts every other night, for example. And so on, there are many examples.

If you're trying to lose weight only, shorter high-intensity workouts might be the best bang-for-your-buck in terms of calories burnt vs time. But that's not everyone's goal.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I disagree with the best exercise being 'few, shorter high-intensity workouts'. Best exercise for WHAT?

Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. For best health outcomes... i.e.: a base amount of exercise to maintain health and/or bring your weight in check with what's ideal for your body.

Yes, if you have other goals, then that might change. But, note, those other goals might actually be detrimental to best health outcomes. For example, tons of running/biking can actually lead to other problems (and in middle-age men, be quite dangerous if not careful).

(Note, I'm not an expert on the subject, but have paid a lot of attention to the field in the last couple years... and the above is based on the top experts and research I've been able to find.)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. For best health outcomes... i.e.: a base amount of exercise to maintain health and/or bring your weight in check with what's ideal for your body.

Yes, I agree, in many cases where people are maintaining their weight or are 10-20 pounds overweight.

The problem is that many people are 50-100 pounds overweight, have been sedentary for years, and they start immediately into the latest techniques, like few, shorter high-intensity workouts, and their bodies can't get used to it. They get injured, then quit working out, and pack more pounds on.

For people just starting out, take it slower, the diet should be the #1 priority, get that in check, watch the pounds come off, then start slowly working out, make the gym a habit that you do on a schedule, don't make excuses for not going, get in the mindset that you WANT to go to the gym - not that you hate it and it's this evil thing. At that point you might be ready to start the few, shorter high-intensity workouts.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And, it isn't just the 'pros' either. The nutritional guidelines the government puts out are wrong. Most nutritionalists are improperly trained. Doctors giving nutrition advice are misinformed. Nearly all the common 'wisdom' about fitness, health, and nutrition is wrong.

Which gets down to some of the basis behind health trackers and the Apple Watch being wrong as well.

If they're eating wrong and spending tons of time on spin bikes, running, etc. of course it won't work. Hormones control weight. They're actually making the problem worse in all but the short-term.

But, this is what they've been told to do! Eat less (often less calories), and exercise more. That's a recipe for disaster.

Out of a four year education, the last I heard was physicians spend a semester/term on 'nutrition'. Not to much time there. AND Ford forbid the doc that calls their patient 'fat', because being fat and ignorant is every American's right now, and they will sue the doctor that tries to make them 'feel bad' because they weigh as much as a small car, and can't get around because their joints were not made to haul that much weight around.

AND the 'weight loss' industry feeds off of people like that. Eat this, not that. Take this pill, drink this. Wear this and you don't even have to exercise ever. Our current president is quoted in the media as believing that exercising is bad for you, but people forget he's over 70, and could trip on gravity and split his head open!

Yes, that's a huge part of the problem. The political corruption and FDA are a huge issue. While I'm sure they sometimes protect our safety, they've also been a pawn of the (bad) food industry. They often regulate things that could actually help people, to promote the drugs and wares of the food industry and big-pharma, while allowing a lot of substances in food that are actually banned in most of the rest of the world.

But, that's the tip of the iceberg. As I noted earlier, it's impossible to exercise your way out of an unhealthy lifestyle and diet. And, then, the best exercise has been found to be a few, shorter high-intensity workouts a week... which in my understanding, won't rank as well in 'fitness trackers.'

Ah, but moving more IS part of staying healthy. I know people that have lost weight (some) just by walking the neighborhood in the evening rather than sitting watching 'reality TV" popcorn! Sedentary lives are what produces cattle. Well, coupled with what we stuff in our mouths.

Sometimes the changes are subtle, sometimes they are major. I worked with someone who started dating an active woman. She took min on walks, and even got him light jogging. He noticed that he was coughing more during these outings, and decided to stop smoking because of it. One less person on the health dole. Not bad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.