Apple Honors Veterans Day With Website Banner, Activity Challenge on Apple Watch, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is Veterans Day in the United States and, as usual, Apple CEO Tim Cook has thanked veterans around the world for their service.

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few." -- Winston Churchill. To the Veterans in my family, at Apple, and all around the world -- we appreciate your service and sacrifice. 🇺🇸 #VeteransDay - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) November 11, 2019

Apple is also showing its support for Veterans Day with a short message on its website: "Here's to the brave ones. We're proud to honor America's veterans and service members this Veterans Day and every day."

As noted by Kyle Seth Gray, Apple Watch users can earn a special Veterans Day badge in the Activity app today by completing any workout for 11 minutes or longer. The annual Activity Challenge, limited to the United States, also awards users with a Veterans Day sticker for use in the Messages app.

This Veterans Day, November 11th, earn a special award by doing any workout of 11 minutes or more. #CloseYourRings pic.twitter.com/liyLfyGOxf - Kyle Seth Gray (@kylesethgray) October 30, 2019

Last, Apple has highlighted how iPhone app Healium AR is helping veterans manage anxiety. The augmented reality app was created by former TV journalist Sarah Hill, who is profiled in the Apple Newsroom story.

November 11 also marks similar Remembrance Day or Armistice Day commemorations in many other countries.

Article Link: Apple Honors Veterans Day With Website Banner, Activity Challenge on Apple Watch, and More

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
'Today is Veterans Day in the United States and, as usual, Apple CEO Tim Cook has thanked veterans around the world for their service.".
What about Michiel de Ruyter, a famous Dutch Marine Officer who sailed upwards the river Thames in June 1667 and defeated the English fleet, the greatest marine-based defeat in the history of England. Very brave! I like to get a discount in June for that matter

I understand, America first, but can we, Holland, be second? (don't worry, it's not serious....)

See:

FaustsHausUK

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm English. I'm not mad that there is no poppy on the Apple home page. Their message was significantly less tacky and jingoistic than a lot of what companies post on Veterans'/Rememberance Day.

Reactions: simonmet

anthogag

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
How much is the discount? Veterans should get at least a 50% off. 75% is better.

In Canada it is Remembrance Day.

Reactions: rjp1

rmoliv

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2017
So today’s a federal holiday in the US? That means there won’t be a Mac Pro release. Perhaps tomorrow?

Northern Man

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
A lousy 10%. Wow.
In addition to that poor discount, it seems Apple does not offer any such discount to customers in "friendly" allied countries such as Canada, Australia, UK...

Very happy to take those "foreign" customer's cash and not even interested in giving the same token discount as US vets.

AJClayton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Quite nice to see Tim quoting Churchill. For those who are interested (and don't know) this is taken from his famous speech about the Battle of Britain in 1940. And yes, the war DID start before December 1941.

We call it Remembrance Day here in the UK. I'm thinking especially of my two Great Uncles who died in battles in France during The Great War. It's thanks to people like them that I can sit at my desk over a hundred years later and worry about trivial, non-important things that I really shouldn't get upset about.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
10% is lousy all year long. It should be 25% off all year. Then 50% off on 11/11.
If Apple did that you would piss and moan that it wasn't 50% off all year and 75% off today. Some people just need to complain.
- - Post merged: - -

In addition to that poor discount, it seems Apple does not offer any such discount to customers in "friendly" allied countries such as Canada, Australia, UK...

Very happy to take those "foreign" customer's cash and not even interested in giving the same token discount as US vets.
If you're so upset about it then don't purchase their products. Problem solved.

The Barron

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2009
If Apple did that you would piss and moan that it wasn't 50% off all year and 75% off today. Some people just need to complain.
- - Post merged: - -

If you're so upset about it then don't purchase their products. Problem solved.
As a veteran, I am happy that Apple extends a discount on all products and not just the refurbished, close-outs, etc. one finds on sale at non-Apple stores & websites. Thanks, Apple.