Apple Hunting for Next 'Breaking Bad', Interested in Violent Drama Starring Richard Gere

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is reportedly in negotiations to purchase the rights to Israeli drama series "Nevelot" (or, "Bastards"), which is described as a violent and mature drama series (via CNBC). Richard Gere could star in the adaptation, which is being written and created by "Homeland" creator Howard Gordon and "Law and Order: SVU" showrunner Warren Leight.

[​IMG]
    Image via Variety / Rex Features

Apple is said to be in a bidding war with Showtime, FX, and Amazon for the show, which revolves around two military veterans who go on a killing spree targeting young people, "because they believe today's kids don't understand the sacrifices of their generation." Gordon and Leight would reformat the show for the American market, and potentially change the title.

Right now, all sides are said to still be in talks, and nothing is finalized. If certain agreements can't be reached -- like the budget -- then it has a risk of falling through.

Apple's interest in such a mature-themed series comes in stark opposition to previous reports we've heard about its upcoming string of TV shows. Most notably, in a September report The Wall Street Journal claimed that Apple would be unlikely to produce original content that contains gratiuitous sex, violence, profanity, or risqué storylines in an effort to avoid tainting its wider brand image.

Unless the entire concept of "Bastards" is changed, it appears like the show would include most, if not all, of those adult pieces of content. CNBC's report today suggests that Apple is on the hunt for its own "Breaking Bad", a show with a Mature Audiences rating that aired on AMC from 2008 through 2013.

Additionally, Apple is said to be looking for "different" content, as long as it has substance and isn't gratuitous. The search is said to be emphasizing unusual formats that won't fit in the traditional 30-minute and 60-minute time slots. The company is also experimenting with more advanced interactive and immersive content of some kind, but these plans are painted as a "long-term vision" for Apple's original content efforts, and not indicative of the more straightforward shows we'll see when everything first launches next year.

In one final tidbit from today's report, the long-in-production morning show drama starring Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston is said to be called "Top of the Morning," the same as the book it's based on. For a list of every show coming from Apple, check out our full Apple TV Roundup.

Article Link: Apple Hunting for Next 'Breaking Bad', Interested in Violent Drama Starring Richard Gere

2. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

cue the gun control and tv violence police...3....2...1...

3. Whathappened macrumors member

“Gordon and Leight would reformat the show for the American market, and potentially change the title.“
    Oh no... but still.. fingers crossed.

Dont worry, we know you Americans are more afraid of naked breasts than you are of guns.

4. corebeliefs macrumors regular

corebeliefs

I'm going to stop weeping over Apple and its new direction. But not today, sniff.

5. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

Is this going to end up like that Dre documentary?

6. benface macrumors regular

Wtf Apple.

7. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

8. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

9. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Interesting. It seems as though either Apple simply wanted to launch with ‘family-friendly’ content and build out the genres sometime after launch, or, perhaps there’ve been some new decisions made since the supposed original plan of no violent programmes.

10. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I thought Apple stated it was specifically looking for content that had limited sex and violence.

11. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Didn’t Tim Cook just say violence has no place on Apple’s platforms?

12. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Interesting. Just glad they're not going with the kid friendly route. Though seems strange in light of recent news that Tumblr has to remove all their nudity and then news comes out that Apple is releasing this? I know nudity/violence aren't tied to each other, but still feels a bit hypocritical.

13. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

only when its self serving as we've seen

14. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Gere terrorizing other residents at the nursing home! -dramatic music-

15. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

It would be hilarious if Apple had a TV show named Bastards.

16. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

No sex though, right?
    If it’s acceptable entertainment for the workers, it’s got to promote aggression, war, violence, ideally over class & racial differences.

Just so long as it doesn’t have any of that dirty filthy love & sex.

The 80s are indeed back, and they’ve buried the summer of love and those meddlesome peaceniks once and for all.

17. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

I think this is the central crux of Apple's TV search right now. The WSJ said that Apple would be unlikely to back shows with gratuitous sex, violence, profanity, or risqué storylines. I'm thinking the company has always been somehow on the lookout for adult content, but nothing has felt substantive. It'll be okay with sex, cursing, and storylines that sound as dark as Bastards, as long as it all serves a point/message/theme.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

No no Apple... if you want to succeed in this you don’t need a VERY famous actor (with all his baggage). Get someone who might be barely known, and get the best directors and writers. That’s where the juice is. If the actor becomes VERY famous, then you got a hit.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:02 PM ---
    There was plenty of sex in the 80’s movies...

19. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

That was misstated. Apple was never against having ANY violent shows. It just wanted family-targeted shows to actually be truly family-targeted, checking ALL of the boxes. If it's an adult-targeted show, that's different. It's a philosophy of how to build a library of streaming content; be crystal-clear about the target audience for each show, and make sure to check all the correct boxes for that audience. If you want to SELL a customer on subscribing to a streaming network, make sure you have stuff that fits every member of that household. That means stuff you can watch as a family, and stuff for after the kids get to bed.

20. natteaap macrumors member

I for one hope they will build on the family/kid friendly channel and omit the netflix copy. I have a family with young kids, I don't want violent tv shows. If I'm paying, it will have to be a family channel without profanity, nudity and violence. The world is funked up as it is, I don't need my kids to have it fed with a spoon.

And for those that want those kind of things, there is still netflix, cbs and what not.

21. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Came here to post that exact same thing.

22. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

Maybe Apple can replicate long-running series such as "Counterpart", "Outlander", "Black Sails", "The Alienist", "Animal Kingdom", "Good Behavior",... and those are original programs of only two channels.

With its deep pockets, my guess is that Apple will succeed, but only if it doesn't set puritanical boundaries to the material.

23. Gudi macrumors 68030

Gudi

Next Breaking Bad = Better Call Saul

Sorry Apple, that ship has sailed.

24. Cole Slaw, Dec 6, 2018 at 12:23 PM
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM

Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Imagine a politically correct version of Breaking Bad.
    No swearing, no violence, all the characters balanced by race, religion and the 7 officially recognized genders...
    Ought to be a hoot!

25. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

I don’t know about anyone else, but when I think of “Violent Drama actors”, I think Richard Gere...o_O