Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
This is not a wishlist, this is a direct order, no discussions, DO IT!

- Free form Widgets on the homescreen.

- Notifications - Steal HTC Desire HD's Android notification idea, combine notifications with the multitasking switcher and player controls.

Like this:
QuQi7.jpg

- Integrate SIP support - VOIP SIP integrated fully into the system.

- REAL multitasking switch - Like backgrounder, allow us to switch which apps we want to fully multitask, let the default stay the same i.e. save state multitasking.

- Alarm - Add a configurable snooze function.

- DivX/XviD/MKV Support.

- Ability to change SMS and E-mail tones.

- Full Bluetooth support - Sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

- Wifi Direct support.

- Free turn by turn navigation with an ability to download maps(right from the phone like on Nokia N8) to use them offline.

Be done with this by June, or else!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Can't say that I am too interested in any of that
Better notifications... yes, but what you propose... not really

Meh

I'll take my chances with what Apple comes up with

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
+3... I agree with Mac and Juice, better notifications, but I can do without the rest of it.

Macgeeza

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
This is not a wishlist, this is a direct order, no discussions, DO IT!

- Free form Widgets on the homescreen.

- Notifications - Steal HTC Desire HD's Android notification idea, combine notifications with the multitasking switcher and player controls.

Like this:
QuQi7.jpg

- Integrate SIP support - VOIP SIP integrated fully into the system.

- REAL multitasking switch - Like backgrounder, allow us to switch which apps we want to fully multitask, let the default stay the same i.e. save state multitasking.

- Alarm - Add a configurable snooze function.

- DivX/XviD/MKV Support.

- Ability to change SMS and E-mail tones.

- Full Bluetooth support - Sending files, contacts, syncing, etc...

- Wifi Direct support.

- Free turn by turn navigation with an ability to download maps(right from the phone like on Nokia N8) to use them offline.

Be done with this by June, or else!

I just want to be able to use my own SMS tones, without jailbreak. Don't understand why they won't allow this when we can already make our own ring tones??

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I just want better notifications since there's no led indicator light anywhere on the phone. It seems even that's too much to ask for...

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I'm all for a new notifications system and customizable SMS tones, but a big NO to those widgets. Am I the only who things those can be incredibly cheesy?

Like I wrote, if you don't want to use them you'll have the option not to. But for those who like them, there should be an option.

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Better notifications would be nice... but I'd hope they'd look better than the image in the first post! Seriously, Android needs some polish.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Sounds like you should buy an Android device and stop complaining. Apple will iterate its platform in ways that will benefit its core competency: the majority of its users. That doesn't include the niche desires of power users that negatively impact the overall usability and intuitive nature of iOS.

I'm sure a revamped notification system is coming, but I doubt it will be anything like the example you have provided.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I still get confused by some people.

They say in general, "I want this iPhone to be just like that other phone". Well, why don't they just go get that other phone?

Or they'll say "if the iPhone doesn't have this feature next time, I'm going to/back to this other phone".

Again, why don't they just go get that other phone?

Or are they just the type of people that aren't happy they have the world in their pocket, and feel a massive desire to complain and aren't happy unless they're doing so?

Like I've always said, if you don't like whats on the TV...change the channel and stop your complaining. There are worse things in life. Be happy with what you have, and if you're not then go get what makes you happy. Complaining just makes you sound weak and pathetic.

DocMarlor

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I'd have to agree with the notification system, however it sounds like you want to turn iOS 5 into Android. Get an android device.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I don't think integrated VOIP is coming anytime soon either. Carriers would have a big problem subsidizing a phone with a VOIP option. Just say no to widgets.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Better notifications, yes, that will be nice. Widgets - not so much

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I actualy like the current notification system. I wouldent mind the option to be able to just have a little icon pop up on the top instead of inturipying me. But after all this time it doesnt bother me. I'd rather tap an icon and the same message u would normally get would then pop. Something like that idk, I just don't care to much on the matter

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
I still get confused by some people.

They say in general, "I want this iPhone to be just like that other phone". Well, why don't they just go get that other phone?
Because they just want a couple of features from the other phone, in general the iPhone suits them better?
Or they'll say "if the iPhone doesn't have this feature next time, I'm going to/back to this other phone".

Again, why don't they just go get that other phone?
Maybe they didn't realise how much they needed said feature, and can't afford to just buy a new phone just now?
Or are they just the type of people that aren't happy they have the world in their pocket, and feel a massive desire to complain and aren't happy unless they're doing so?

Like I've always said, if you don't like whats on the TV...change the channel and stop your complaining. There are worse things in life. Be happy with what you have, and if you're not then go get what makes you happy. Complaining just makes you sound weak and pathetic.

No set of features can possibly meet every individuals requirements. Is it wrong to discuss how one's preferred supplier could move closer though? I think you are being a little harsh here! :D

JanFredrikB

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
The only thing I actually want on this list is better notifications. And now that Apple (most likely) have purcashed boxcar I think they'll make something much better than that HTC-crap you posted.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'd jump on VOIP SIP support in a heartbeat. I had a Blackberry 8900 on Cincinnati Bell (I think T-Mobile also has this feature) and it proved great in areas of low signal coverage such as my house.

Oddly, I had experience with AT&T before I became an iPhone customer because CinciBell jumps on AT&T's network when you venture out of Southwest Ohio. I would think that the carriers would wholeheartedly support this because it could take a huge amount of strain off of their cellular network. It would also make customers incredibly happy.

BTW, if I'm thinking SIP is something different, the concept that I'm referring to is cellular tower to wifi switching. Sort of like the microcell, but in the phone itself. CincyBell called it UMA mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.