Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuppery Numnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Hi all,

Out of nowhere the other day, my iCloud kept asking me to sign in, after a few attempts, it locked me out. I unlocked it, turned on two-step authentication. After that, it kept asking me to log in yet again but wouldn't. I talked with Apple support. We reset all settings, logged out of all things Apple ID, then the final thing that solved the issue was turning off two-step. They aren't sure why this caused the issue. Flash forward to today. Since I was able to log back in, the backups on iCloud work fine, however, FaceTime and messages won't let me log in with my Apple ID (can't text on my iPad or MacBook Pro). It just keeps saying iMessage can't activate and try again. I've tried everything to force iMessage to activate but nothing. Apple support said it could take 24-72 hours but I'm curious why my phone number can iMessage but it won't log into my Apple ID/email. Has anyone experienced this?

Tuppery Numnak

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
What iOS version are you on

The latest. Also, I plugged in my @me.com address instead, and it works. However, now when I plug in my @gmail to add it, it says it can't be validated because it's in use with another account.

So to break it down:

My iCloud/Apple ID is gmail
iMessage/Facetime was gmail for forever until it just stopped working
iMessage/Facetime is now working with @me/@icloud/@Mac addresses and says the @gmail is already in use with another account.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Apple. This is incredible frustrating.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
The latest. Also, I plugged in my @me.com address instead, and it works. However, now when I plug in my @gmail to add it, it says it can't be validated because it's in use with another account.

So to break it down:

My iCloud/Apple ID is gmail
iMessage/Facetime was gmail for forever until it just stopped working
iMessage/Facetime is now working with @me/@icloud/@Mac addresses and says the @gmail is already in use with another account.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Apple. This is incredible frustrating.

Just curious.. but rarely. Do people actually contact each other with their email addresses for FaceTime and iMessage anyway..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.